Menu

Curious about how people like to word things...

Which question wording do you prefer?  

1. 1. Which question wording do you prefer?

• Why is there no wine and chocolate in this house?
    • Why isn't there wine and chocolate in this house?
    • Neither. These words would never be uttered, as I never run out.

Which of these sentences would you prefer to use....

I am genuinely curious, as I would use one over the other, and don't know why. Maybe it's preference, maybe it's just me. Thought I owuld ask where I could make a poll. :D

ARG!!! #1 wine OR chocolate

ARG!!!#2 ANY

Edited by radiobrain

I have a migraine, no wine or chocolate, am still in my PJs, and had a 45 min. argument with my son about algebra... so I am not thinking straight. :tongue_smilie:

I am not looking for grammatical correctness, although I appreciate it, but this is a thinking/feeling type of question.

Does one prefer the negative phrasing or the contraction? I don't even know what I mean... arg...I haven't posted in weeks, and I embarrass myself with this...oh well.

oooh. This is intersting to me as it is a tie right now.

I know EXACTLY how I'd say it, and I haven't voted.

I find it interesting as, if I think about it, I generally phrase things in one way over another... wondering if I am a kook or my way is more normal. So far, no overwhelming opinions.

Which of these sentences would you prefer to use....

I am genuinely curious, as I would use one over the other, and don't know why. Maybe it's preference, maybe it's just me. Thought I owuld ask where I could make a poll. :D

ARG!!! #1 wine OR chocolate

LOL! I voted #2 because I didn't read the "ARG!!!" above. It didn't make it into the screen area. And when I read #1 it sounded wrong - the "is" would make it need an "or". So, cancel the vote for #2 and write me in for #1 with the correction you added above. And I have no idea why....just sounds more like something I would say.:D

Why is there no wine and chocolate in this house?

I'll use the first sentence in a very irritated voice if I am in a bad mood.

I'll use ""Why isn't there any wine or chocolate left in this house?" if I am exasperated after looking for chocolate to eat or wine to cook.

Ditto.

It definitely depends on my mood.

The second sounds like this in my head : Why is not there wine or chocolate in the house?

It just does not sound right.

Grammatically nor realistically.

I personally would say: How in the world has someone allowed there to be no wine OR chocolate in the house!! Grab my keys and my purse...this henious oversight must be rectified immediately!

Where is my husband!? I need to get some wine and chocolate!!!

:auto:

BTW, correct grammar is not an issue when you are pulling your hair out and crying. ;)

:grouphug:

Someone, please, for pity's sake, get the girl some wine and chocolate!

I declare you grab that boy and take him to the store. Have him do some math in the liquor aisle. This bottle will reduce my stress by 57%, this bottle will reduce my stress by 42%. Which bottle is the best investment by ounce? If he can't decide buy them both. Then get thee hence to the chocolate aisle and do the same thing and buy NONE for him, NONE, if he can't do the math. Chocolate, don't buy him alcohol, that's not legal.

It's called real world algebra. Screw X, he can solve his own problems.

I declare you grab that boy and take him to the store. Have him do some math in the liquor aisle. This bottle will reduce my stress by 57%, this bottle will reduce my stress by 42%. Which bottle is the best investment by ounce? If he can't decide buy them both. Then get thee hence to the chocolate aisle and do the same thing and buy NONE for him, NONE, if he can't do the math. Chocolate, don't buy him alcohol, that's not legal.

It's called real world algebra. Screw X, he can solve his own problems.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're good ;).

I chose other.

I prefer "But why is the rum gone?"

Rum gives me headaches... but I like the way you think.

Wait, wine gives me a headache too.

"Honey, what's happened to our liquor cabinet? Oh, I forgot...I spend all day with a 14 & 12 year old boy, supposedly homeschooling, and you work from home!!!!":smilielol5:

If I was speaking to my sibs, the first one. For hubby, the second. He hears poorly and I try to use the words he would use. The former would be alien and confuse him. As he gets deafer, I would give the "Where?" gesture and raise my voice to say "wine and chocolate". If he said "we don't have any", then I'd give the "Why?" sign.