Menu

Halloween/costume question

When we were Trick or Treating, a had several people tell my son to take his mask off so as not to scare little kids. He wore a regular outfit (clean shirt, pants) and a cheap wolf mask from Walmart. He didn't growl at anyone or anything of the sort, and wore it up on his head because it was hard to see for most of the time walking. Several people told ds to take off his mask and hide it because there were little kids around and someone might get scared.

I've been thinking about this since, and it bothers me. First of all, none were asking, but all demanding (and they were all celebrating Halloween, so it wasn't an inappropriate time or place and they weren't religiously opposed). Secondly, only once was at someone's home, which I respect. Third, there were no scared children that I saw, but it was preemptively because a kid *might get* scared.

And fourth...it's Halloween. That's kind of the point. Now I have noticed more and more kids going as Disney and sweet characters (including two of my kids), which is fine, but it confuses me that people think that Halloween should be a time when nobody should be exposed to anything scary when out ToTing. I heard complaints about scary faces on Jack o' Lanterns, too. I don't remember ever coming across these attitudes any of the 29 years I've been doing Halloween. Is this just regional or is this a growing trend?

Please don't yell at me. Mercury is in retrograde, so I'm sure this came out wrong. :lol: I'm not talking about people who are morally opposed to Halloween or costumes. And yes, I have a kid with an anxiety disorder, so I understand kids can get afraid. But I certainly don't expect everyone to avoid talk of the weather and I don't take her out tornado chasing! :lol: Honestly, I think people are just making too big a deal out of holiday celebrations nowadays. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by mommymilkies
Smilies attack!

Okay, that's just weird. And I was prepared to tell you to lighten up when I first started reading, but only until I got to "it was a wolf mask and he had it up on his head so he could see." Sheesh. Some people.

We did have similar requests last year, but in our situation it makes more sense. Trick or treating, if done in Brazil, is often a communal thing --- in our neighborhood, all the kids, ages 2 to 15 (or whatever begin/end age the parents want; there is not an official limit) gather together and walk in one big group house to house. And, it's still catching on here, so scary costumes are still a bit outside the norm.

In our case, then, when my son was asked to remove his mask from the movie "Scream" (not the one with fake blood in it), we totally understood and he did so, no problem. He had it on completely, not up on his head.

In your case, that would have bugged me too. What is the difference between him carrying it in his hand and wearing it up on top of his head where little kids can't likely see it anyway? In his hand it's closer to eye level for the little ones, really.....wouldn't that be worse?

(insert eye rolling smiley here)

Really? I say take the kids to "Nightmare on Elm Street" (I'll tell you about it later) if your kids like really scary, typical Halloween.

DH's cousin does it every year. They had the Walking Dead girl in the bathrobe animetronic (sp?--jeesh) and several others. Real life-like things that move and jump out at you! Werewolves, Michael from halloween, creepy clowns, poltergeist girl in front of a snowy tv, grim reapers. They set up their yard as a walk through. There were crying toddlers. And no upset parents. They understand that is part of the fun. My kids love it however, even my dd wasn't one bit scared, even though she had to reach for candy from a creepy clowns hand. I think since it's family they know what's going on. They did a free haunted house in their garage one year and it was awesome! It even startled me!

I think it's just your street. Honestly. ;) Because we trick or treat in other areas and there are plenty of scary things... chainsaws, teens standing still like grim reaper yard ornaments and scaring kids. I personally haven't heard of any complaints. I think your street is blocked off to be a "safe" place, so you may likely hear more complaints from those who want to participate but only so far, kwim?

ETA: I think people are sort of moving away from scary costumes a bit. At least little kids. Mine haven't really asked to dress up in a typical scary costume, but I would let them if they wanted to. But I wouldn't ask someone to take off a mask. A man behind us in the parade had a creepy mask on and dd was a little worried, but I just explain to them that the whole point is dress up and fun.

Edited by Walking-Iris

Several people told ds to take off his mask and hide it because there were little kids around and someone might get scared.

Anyone who knows their child is very sensitive and scares easily should probably know to stay home on Halloween. Your son's costume wasn't excessively scary, gory, or unexpected. It was lame of those people to badger you about the mask.

Good thing those people don't ToT where we do. Lots of really scary things and yet very few really scared children. Probably because there i so much adult participation plus we have police and firefighters on golf carts. Their vehicles have all their lights on and there are plenty of street lights. it is very family friendly.

One of the houses in our neighborhood turned their garage into a mini-haunted house. Two adults were dressed up in creepy costumes. They had a fog machine, spooky sound effects, a giant jumping spider, cloth backdrops, and fake severed hands hanging from the ceiling. Tigger and Little Guy were both a bit hesitant about going in to get the candy, but they got over it and had fun.

Really? I say take the kids to "Nightmare on Elm Street" (I'll tell you about it later) if your kids like really scary, typical Halloween.

DH's cousin does it every year. They had the Walking Dead girl in the bathrobe animetronic (sp?--jeesh) and several others. Real life-like things that move and jump out at you! Werewolves, Michael from halloween, creepy clowns, poltergeist girl in front of a snowy tv, grim reapers. They set up their yard as a walk through. There were crying toddlers. And no upset parents. They understand that is part of the fun. My kids love it however, even my dd wasn't one bit scared, even though she had to reach for candy from a creepy clowns hand. I think since it's family they know what's going on. They did a free haunted house in their garage one year and it was awesome! It even startled me!

I think it's just your street. Honestly. ;) Because we trick or treat in other areas and there are plenty of scary things... chainsaws, teens standing still like grim reaper yard ornaments and scaring kids. I personally haven't heard of any complaints. I think your street is blocked off to be a "safe" place, so you may likely hear more complaints.

ETA: I think people are sort of moving away from scary costumes a bit. At least little kids. Mine haven't really asked to dress up in a typical scary costume, but I would let them if they wanted to. But I wouldn't ask someone to take off a mask. A man behind us in the parade had a creepy mask on and dd was a little worried, but I just explain to them that the whole point is dress up and fun.

My oldest two would love that! I didn't just hear it on our street, though, but a few blocks away and again twice when we ToTed out of town with family.

I can understand somewhat if it was an adult trying to unnecessarily scare little kids, but he wasn't!

My oldest two would love that! I didn't just hear it on our street, though, but a few blocks away and again twice when we ToTed out of town with family.

I can understand somewhat if it was an adult trying to unnecessarily scare little kids, but he wasn't!

I don't know. Some people are overly sensitive I guess. Maybe he should dress up as a harp playing cherub next year. ;)

I don't celebrate Halloween and I still find that a little over the top. I kinda figure that scary stuff is expected that time of year and if my child finds it a little much, than it's my job to help my kid work through it not everyone elses job to tiptoe around him.