Menu

Ghengis Khan exhibit?

We went when it was here, probably about a year ago, and I thought it was interesting. My history buff DS enjoyed it. The girls were a little young for it, I think. If it is the same one we saw, there is a real mummified body an display, but it is set up in such a way you can easily skip it if you want. We went with a homescho group and it took us much longer to get through the exhibit than most of he other families, but that is pretty typical for my DS and anything historical, LOL!

I really liked it. Compared to many of the traveling exhibits we get, I thought it was a large collection. Also compared to others, there were more actual items from the 9th-12th century and not just replicas (though there are still some.) There are weapons, clothes, saddles, equipment, etc. The information was laid out well. I learned a good bit about the Mongolian Empire, but you probably already know lots more than I did. There's also a little bit about modern Mongolia.

I'm not sure I would drive all the way from SC to see it, but if you are going to do other things in town, it's well worth a visit.

I'm curious about this too. I'd love to go see the exhibit. I went to a Genghis Khan exhibit years ago (probably 20 years ago) in Nashville & loved it.

Linders, have you read the book Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford? It's excellent & fascinating & would be a great book to read (for yourself, not necessarily kids) before seeing the exhibit. Weatherford also has another book, The Secret History of the Mongol Queens, which I haven't read but might be another great one to check....

Oh, I would LOVE that! My youngest is from Inner Mongolia and when I was in Inner Mongolia, Ghengis Khan's picture was in almost EVERY building and home.

Dawn

That's a neat piece of info, Dawn. I have always wanted to visit Mongolia -- it's one of my biggest travel dreams. Any photos or more info/stories you can share? :001_smile:

You know what is interesting?

Back when the Circlevision China was still at Disneyland, I used to make a point to go in and watch it often. (it is now at Disney World, but was long taken away from DL)

In there, he travels to Inner Mongolia and shows the wild horses and the grasslands.

It was a dream of mine to go and see both of those things. I never thought my dream would be fulfilled by getting a child from that area! I got to see both of those things. We traveled up to a more remote area of the grasslands and there were yurts everywhere, wild horses ran around, and the grass was tall. It was COLD too and it was only mid-Sept.

Josiah-China019.jpg

Linders, have you read the book Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford? It's excellent & fascinating & would be a great book to read (for yourself, not necessarily kids) before seeing the exhibit. Weatherford also has another book, The Secret History of the Mongol Queens, which I haven't read but might be another great one to check....

Thanks for the book suggestion! Haven't read it but will now.

It was a dream of mine to go and see both of those things. I never thought my dream would be fulfilled by getting a child from that area! I got to see both of those things. We traveled up to a more remote area of the grasslands and there were yurts everywhere, wild horses ran around, and the grass was tall. It was COLD too and it was only mid-Sept.

Great photo, Dawn! You look gorgeous in the traditional outfit. (Is that your ds?)

So cool that your wish was fulfilled. I have the same wish to see the grasslands, wild horses, yurts, etc....

Yes, it is. He was only 2.5 years old then. He is now 8.5 years old!

Great photo, Dawn! You look gorgeous in the traditional outfit. (Is that your ds?)

So cool that your wish was fulfilled. I have the same wish to see the grasslands, wild horses, yurts, etc....

I would like to go back to Inner Mongolia at some point, but cost wise, probably not for a good long while.

Inner Mongolia is part of China, actual Outer Mongolia is a separate country.

Dawn

He's adorable. Time flies, eh?

Will you take him back to visit Mongolia down the road, if able...? (And, if so, do you need a traveling companion? ;):D)

I loved that book! The Mongol Queens one is somewhere on my to-read list. :D

I'd love to see this exhibit - is there someplace that says where it's traveling to (or did I miss the link? :tongue_smilie:)

We went (actually me, my younger son, and my father in law) in Atlanta and really enjoyed it. I wish that my older son was on the trip and able to see it -- he would have loved it. My FIL is actually a history professor and said he got a lot out of it. I would say it is geared at middle school and up kids but my 10 year old learned a lot too.