Menu

When your dryer breaks...do you...

A)Panic because you do not have the money to repair it or replace it

B)Calmly start hanging the wet clothes all over the house because it is snowing outside

or C) dismantle the whole thing, tinker around and figure out how to fix it yourself?

If you are me you choose option C

Backstory: dryer is almost 8 years old. Some time ago the little clip that secures the door closed broke off, so we use a chair to hold the door closed. Then a few months ago the hinges broke so the only thing holding the door on, not just shut was that chair. It was ugly but did the job. In addition dryer would take 2 cycles per load to dry them. Obviously I need a new one. That will not be happening until some time in the new year.

So tonight ds14 goes to put the next load in. The little switch that the door pushes in (which allows the dryer to actually turn on) fell out. So now dryer would not turn on at all. I realize I have no way to pay for this to be replaced or repaired. I am thinking April at the soonest I could replace the dryer. I don't want wet clothes all over the house between now and then, I have a hard enough time keeping up with all the laundry as it is.

So I did what any single poor mom would do. I took the dryer apart(back panel, top section, front panel etc). I figured I could not break it any worse than it already was. I found the peice the little switch was supposed to be attached to and saw it was broken in half. So I hot glued it back together. Then I saw how much lint was in there. Holy Moly. So I vacuumed it all out incl the vent tubing connected to the outside. Put the dryer back together and voila laundry is drying again.

I have to say I was shocked how much lint was trapped in the dryer and especially that tubing. We moved here 2 years ago and had not vacuumed it all out since then. And I am not sure when the last time I vacuumed the inside of the dryer(like under the drum etc). I can not believe how much lint we pulled out. It is a miracle the house didn't burn down.

photos included of dryer open with my hot glue gun, my 2 helpers, and the container of lint we sucked out of the dryer and tubing.

Be sure if you have not done so in a while to take the time to vacuum your dryer out. You will likely be as grossed out as we were, but it could prevent your home from catching fire.

That's amazing, Brandy! Ours died a few weeks ago, just stopped heating. I couldn't even see how to get inside it! We ended up paying $200 or so to get it fixed, but yeah, I got the earful about cleaning out the lint and the tubes at least once a year (we've lived here 10 years and have never done it :blush:).

You're awesome for fixing it yourself.

That's amazing, Brandy! Ours died a few weeks ago, just stopped heating. I couldn't even see how to get inside it! We ended up paying $200 or so to get it fixed, but yeah, I got the earful about cleaning out the lint and the tubes at least once a year (we've lived here 10 years and have never done it :blush:).

You're awesome for fixing it yourself.

Well if it was the thermostat or wiring I would not have been as able I don't think. The kids laugh because I have done with with a few appliances before. Repairs are expensive, so I figure there is no harm in trying first. Usually I can figure it out, but it has always been minor repairs, nothing to do with wiring etc.

Well if it was the thermostat or wiring I would not have been as able I don't think. The kids laugh because I have done with with a few appliances before. Repairs are expensive, so I figure there is no harm in trying first. Usually I can figure it out, but it has always been minor repairs, nothing to do with wiring etc.

Ours was the thermal fuse (whatever that is :lol:), but even so, I couldn't even figure out how to open the darn thing. I will say that I fixed our washing machine by myself with just a YouTube video though. I'm fairly proud of that, and DH wasn't nearly as appreciative as he should have been, hmph!

We have a loaner dryer here, so when ours went down I just hung things out on racks. Our dryers here are weird, though. We have 3 catches we have to check:

-the water collector (no vent hose)

-the lint filter on the door

-the lint/water catch below the drum.

I can see almost every part of my dryer without taking it apart. It makes me kinda wish we had these in the states, too!

I am a figure it out and fix it kind of person. We had a really old dryer passed down to us by my parents. It finally kept turning off as though it were overheating. I pulled the dryer out and there was no significant lint in the tube running to the outside. I vacuumed the back where the air slits were. I did not think of taking it apart to look for lint around the drum. Hmmmm.

I hated the dryer anyway. LOL

We just bought one that retailed for $1,200 for $500. I love it. It has an auto sensor which turns off the load when it's dry instead of overheating like I always tended to do. Thanks for sharing that with us so I will know in the future. :)

PS -- I did diagnose/fix our furnace a few years back. And my husband's brakes on his truck. The benefits of the internet.

I'd take it as a hint and begin using a clothes line.

As it is, I already hardly use my dryer. If it snows, the drying rack goes inside.

I just hate the smell and texture of clothes that dry hanging outside. I did this when my dryer was broken, but several of the items were stiff/wrinkly.

I usually go with option C, but in your case I would be searching classified ads for $50 dryers.

At this point even that is too much, plus the cost of renting a truck to transport them here. May as well wait until I saved enough to buy new and have them delivered.

I'd take it as a hint and begin using a clothes line.

As it is, I already hardly use my dryer. If it snows, the drying rack goes inside.

I do have a clothesline across the backyard for in the summer. But no drying racks in the house. We are 5 people, in a 1000 sq ft bungalow with no basement. Add in the cat and dog hair and there really isn't a place to hang things inside without them getting dirty again just from hanging. If I could not fix the dryer it is what I would have had to do. I did that once before when it broke in the past. I had laundry hanging over doors, over every piece of furniture etc. That was in a slightly bigger house, and no furry pets.

I usually choose Option C too. RepairClinic.com is my one of my favorite sites. I've repaired a lot of appliances with them!

:iagree: I used an excellent video on their website to take my dryer apart and replace the drum rollers and drum belt recently. My oldest was amazed at what her mommy could do. :tongue_smilie: My husband (who arrived home just in time to help put the drum belt on the pulley, thank God - the new belt was very tight!) was a bit surprised to see how simple it is to repair a dryer (not to mention finding our dryer with the top flipped back and the front removed and the drum sitting next to it and me standing next to it with tools in hand, lol) and now vows to never buy a new dryer but keep replacing parts on this one. And yes, there was a layer of lint as thick as plush carpet underneath the drum! As well as several dollars in change!

I usually choose Option C too. RepairClinic.com is my one of my favorite sites. I've repaired a lot of appliances with them!

I had never heard of this site before. Thank you. Now it is in my favorites. I usually just figure things out by tinkering with them, so glad to now have a little more guidance.

You're inspiring! Our dryer is acting strangely lately, so I worry it may be about to go out. I did do a quick lint sucking up yesterday (no time for more than that; had to get out the door), and it seems to be better, but I definitely need to take the time to do a thorough lint removal. Haven't done that in a couple of years. On my to do list for today. If I ever have to take the entire thing apart, I'm coming to you for guidance! : )

I'll come over and fix it for you.

You'll have to sign a waver though (you know, in case your house burns down after). :lol:

Everynight I run a cycle when I am headed to bed so it will be dry and ready to fold while my coffee brews in the am. Last night I stayed awake working on the room right outside where I keep the dryer just in case. :tongue_smilie:That was my biggest worry after I fixed it.

My kids think they have the smartest mom ever. DD piped up, wow mom you are smart, dad would just call someone else to fix it. Score one for me and zero for the ex :lol:

Way to go! I love me a good hot glue story ;)

When ours broke (20+ years old) we priced having it repaired. $140-200 bucks, were the estimates.

I bought a seven year old washer dryer pair off Craigslist (basic, nothing fancy) for $100, and hauled them home in the minivan. Sold the "new" washer again for $100 alone, and kept the dryer from the set.

Free dryer!