Menu

We bought a new (old) house, and I need some help planning my kitchen....

The house was built in 1918. It is very cool. I'll be basically starting from the bottom up in the kitchen. I will need a gas range (30 in.), a dishwasher, and a kitchen sink. I cook a lot! (like most of you), so it will need to be very functional. We also keep everything forever! So it all has to be durable. We don't have a lot of money. I would like to keep the range around $1,200. I think I would like a farmhouse sink, but they're very expensive. This house has lots of charm, and will be on our cattle ranch. I will keep a simple country look to it. Wood floors, and likely white cabinetry. Please tell me what I need to think about. I've never done this before. :001_huh:

Ideas, suggestions, and links are most welcome. Thanks hive!

Sorry, there's no way I would do white cabinets on a ranch. Our current house has white cabinets (were there when we moved in) and they show E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. I'm fortunate that they are good quality and clean well, but boy, it is a constant job. And we are just cushy suburbanites. I shudder to think about farm/ranch dirt and white cabinets.

What about some kind of wood finish on the cabinets?

I have an older home (built in 1908). I *love* my farmer's sink!! :)

We replaced the electric stove that came with the house w/ an electric glasstop about a year ago. I *HATE* it...we are now looking to go with propane. I have my eye on a Samsung Stainless propane stove we saw at Lowe's. I think it is in your price range.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_259153-149-FX510BGS_4294715790__?productId=3431958&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1

I haven't decided about cabinets yet, but I'm avoiding white. I'm pretty sure we'll do granite countertops.

Sorry, there's no way I would do white cabinets on a ranch. Our current house has white cabinets (were there when we moved in) and they show E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. I'm fortunate that they are good quality and clean well, but boy, it is a constant job. And we are just cushy suburbanites. I shudder to think about farm/ranch dirt and white cabinets.

What about some kind of wood finish on the cabinets?

I don't know.... I had white cabinets in the kitchen of another ranch, and I didn't mind cleaning them...:confused:. I guess I just like the white look that much! :tongue_smilie: At least with white cabinets, when they look clean, they ARE clean. I've had other cabinets with dark stain, and they look pretty good, but sometimes you put your hand on them to open them, and you FEEL the grime! EWWWWWW!!!:eek:

Here are the things I enjoy about my kitchen:

double convection oven

double dishwasher

granite counter tops

storage space

These are the things I don't enjoy:

glass stovetop

white cabinets

So do you have your double oven right under the range? Or do you have them in the wall somewhere? I've seen both. It seems that if you have a double oven built in with the range, that bottom oven (usually the larger of the two) is SO FAR DOWN, I would break my back pulling a large roast or turkey out of the oven. Thoughts??

What about a hood above the range vs the microwave? I'm thinking the hood would be so much nicer. But I don't want a microwave on the counter either....

I would get a very large, deep sink (about 10" deep) -- you have to consider your height. I've known a couple of short people who bought very deep sinks and they had a hard time reaching the bottom. A large, deep sink usually requires a 36" sink cabinet.

I would get a faucet with a pull out sprayer.

I would make sure the floor did not have a high gloss finish. In this house, the floor is dark cherry with a high gloss finish, and it shows everything. Plus, things get dropped in a kitchen, and should the floor get dented or scratched, it helps if it does not show. I get tired of having to baby my floors.

My range is gas. I would prefer it to be dual-fuel: electric oven and gas stove top. I prefer to bake in an electric oven. I prefer to have two ovens.

I would get white cabinets, even if I had to wipe them down every day.

I would get under-cabinet lights. Kitchen lighting is important, and there is a lot of information about that online. I've put a couple of links below.

All of the lower cabinets would have drawers -- some deep, some shallow. It was so easy to organize the kitchen and find things when I had a kitchen like that.

I would list all my kitchen stuff (plus dimensions) and make sure everything had a place during the design phase. Same with food for a pantry or pantry cabinets.

When I designed a former kitchen of mine, I went to these websites for ideas:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath/

http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/kitchen-planning/

I learned a lot by just reading the forums, which for me was step one. When it came to designing the kitchen so it had maximum counter and cabinet space, someone at Ikeafans had valuable suggestions that I did not think of myself. You do not have to have an Ikea kitchen to read the forums and glean information from them.

I also learned a lot about quality materials and where to buy components I could afford at the best price. Plenty of people, especially on gardenweb, had different counter and floor materials, for example, and discussed the pros and cons of each. Same with sinks -- a sink is not just a sink, it turns out.

In the end, I loved the kitchen I designed with a lot of help from the forums I linked above. It was a joy to work in, such an improvement over the previous kitchen, even though it was not my dream kitchen. It was a small (14 x 13) kitchen that had the maximum counter and cabinet space and was efficient and practical. The only thing I had to do without was a center island, because I had to have floor space for my 100 lb. dog to lie on while I cooked.

I prefer a double sink. I keep a drainer in one side and it is easy to wash something quickly and let it dry in the other side. I really do this while DH and I are cooking (well, I'm prepping while he cooks). If I had a single sink, I would need space next to the sink for a drainer and that takes up counter space. I have a white sink that I feel looks dirty all of the time. I bleach it to keep it shiny white. I miss having a stainless steel sink. So sink type if a consideration as well.

We're doing the finishing touches on our 1889 Queen Anne kitchen remodel. I tried hard to have it suit the house. We bought Home Depot's unfinished wood cabinets on a 20% off sale, I painted them white. There are more options in the store than online.

http://www.homedepot.com/Kitchen-Cabinets-Cabinet-Hardware-Assembled-Cabinets/h_d1/N-5yc1vZary9/h_d2/Navigation?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#/?c=1&1z10v30=1z10v30

Single bowl deep farmhouse sink http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49847479/

Butcher block counter tops http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40057853/#/40057853

Gas 5 burner stove w/ convection oven. I LOVE IT! Ii didn't buy mine here but here's a link to it. Mine is white.http://www.sears.com/frigidaire-gallery-30inch-freestanding-gas-range/p-02262393000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Can't help you on a dishwasher, ours was given to us. My dh did take the front panel off and put a painted skin on, the skins that go on the sides of the cabinets to finish them. We couldn't put a microwave over the stove. The BTU output is so high on our stove that the exhaust or microwave has to be 30 inches above the burner. It would have been too high for me to reach. We put up a standard exhaust and my dh bought 2 extra cabinet doors and made a custom range hood cover out of them. Looks great!

Have fun doing your new kitchen!

Kim

Edited by zookeeperof3
ETA microwave

I live on a farm. Here;s what I'd do differently

No white on the floor. Dh picked white tile and I hate it. It shows everything. I live with a dirty-looking floor because it only looks nice for the 20 minutes per week that it's drying after mopping.

If you can, and have a large canner, don't get a glass topped stove.

I do like the over the stove microwave. If you really want the hood, build a shelf into your cabinetry to keep the microwave off the counter.

Deep sinks are good. I need to get 5 gallon buckets under mine all the time.

I love my kitchen. It is my favorite room int he house.

I would not have white cabinets, but my oak ones are cheerful and I can see the dirt on them.

If you are on a budget you could plan to eventually get a farm sink by buying an appropriately sized cabinet now but buying a cheaper stainless sink and then buy the big farm sink later. That will cost more overall, but might work for you.

You could also consider a cheaper enamel or corian sink that would look like a farm sink and blend in with the white look more than stainless.

We're doing the finishing touches on our 1889 Queen Anne kitchen remodel. I tried hard to have it suit the house. We bought Home Depot's unfinished wood cabinets on a 20% off sale, I painted them white. There are more options in the store than online.

http://www.homedepot.com/Kitchen-Cabinets-Cabinet-Hardware-Assembled-Cabinets/h_d1/N-5yc1vZary9/h_d2/Navigation?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#/?c=1&1z10v30=1z10v30

Single bowl deep farmhouse sink http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49847479/

Butcher block counter tops http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40057853/#/40057853

Gas 5 burner stove w/ convection oven. I LOVE IT! Ii didn't buy mine here but here's a link to it. Mine is white.http://www.sears.com/frigidaire-gallery-30inch-freestanding-gas-range/p-02262393000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Can't help you on a dishwasher, ours was given to us. My dh did take the front panel off and put a painted skin on, the skins that go on the sides of the cabinets to finish them. We couldn't put a microwave over the stove. The BTU output is so high on our stove that the exhaust or microwave has to be 30 inches above the burner. It would have been too high for me to reach. We put up a standard exhaust and my dh bought 2 extra cabinet doors and made a custom range hood cover out of them. Looks great!

Have fun doing your new kitchen!

Kim

Thanks for all the links, Kim. It's so much fun to look! Couple of questions: Do you use the warming oven much? It's soooooo lowwwww. (I'm tall). I'm really curious about the butcher block counter tops.... Do you think they'll hold up? Is there a lot of upkeep? I'm thinking of having most of the counter tops be composite, and then maybe have a small island with a butcher block top... (My dh is hard on things. It needs to be durable).

I think we'll do the same thing you did with the cabinets. So efficient and easy.

Thanks again! Jackie

I have absolutely no advice since I have never done something like that BUT I would love to see before and after pics once you get the project done. Sounds like SO much fun (except the part where you're living in a torn up kitchen for months!).

Good luck!

Elise in NC

Thanks Elise. I will do my best. It's going to be a while, though. Probably the end of next summer before it's actually all done. We'll live in it "as is" through this winter and spring, except for buying the new stove, and then really remodel next summer.

Jackie

Thanks for all the links, Kim. It's so much fun to look! Couple of questions: Do you use the warming oven much? It's soooooo lowwwww. (I'm tall). I'm really curious about the butcher block counter tops.... Do you think they'll hold up? Is there a lot of upkeep? I'm thinking of having most of the counter tops be composite, and then maybe have a small island with a butcher block top... (My dh is hard on things. It needs to be durable).

I think we'll do the same thing you did with the cabinets. So efficient and easy.

Thanks again! Jackie

Jackie,

It's so much fun to look! I used Ikea's kitchen program to lay out my kitchen, you can change the paint colors,cabinets etc It gave us a great feel for how it would turn out. http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/rooms_ideas/splashplanners.html

I've never used the warming drawer, I forget about it! I am very picky about my appliances, my dh's a trained cook and I used to work in a bakery. This was the compromise stove, the one I wanted was 5000. :)I'm very happy with the stove. One of the stove rack's splits,so you can put a ham on one rack, the split rack with one side removed above it, and have space for side dishes etc.

The butcher block counter tops have been fine. I have son's who spill coffee,etc on them daily,they wipe clean. I oiled them with mineral oil when we first bought them. Maybe twice a week for the first three weeks,until it stopped absorbing the oil. I could have oiled them before they were installed,but I was too impatient.We wanted the butcher block because if we nick it, we can sand it and apply more oil. I don't chop on them. I bought a butcher block trolley from Ikea for that.

The cabinets were easy to paint. I painted them in the driveway!I did primer and three top coats. They clean up very nicely. We also used beadboard for the backsplash. I rescued it from the basement ceiling.:D

Kim

Aggressively shop for the best quality vs. cost cabinets you can find. The applicances, flooring, and lighting are secondary to the cost of the cabinets.

If you have a family member who's a carpenter consider ordering the cabinets from a whole-salers and installing them yourselves. Look for local cabinet makers.

Stacy (who's done two complete kitchen remodels)

In the last 3 years we have gutted and remodeled our kitchen and then 2 mian floor bathrooms. I would definately find a carpenter/cabinet maker and get a price quote for custom cabinets. We had a quote from Home Depot and our cabinet maker did the job for the just a tad more , but we have so much more kitchen and solid wood inside and out.