Menu

Not breastfeeding. Question.

I am 6 months pregnant and for various health reasons will not be able to breastfeed this baby. Is there a formula that is better than any other? Is there something I should be aware of when choosing? This is hard for me as I breastfed my other children. But I'm not interested in discussing ways I might be able to breastfeed...I simply can't. So I need help in deciding what to feed my little guy. Thanks.

I am 6 months pregnant and for various health reasons will not be able to breastfeed this baby. Is there a formula that is better than any other? Is there something I should be aware of when choosing? This is hard for me as I breastfed my other children. But I'm not interested in discussing ways I might be able to breastfeed...I simply can't. So I need help in deciding what to feed my little guy. Thanks.

It really just depends on your baby. I always started with the least expensive option and worked my way up. :grouphug:

Yeah, I had grand plans for fancy formulas if breastfeeding didn't work out for the twins. We ended up using Target (up & up) brand because they tolerated it best. I would NOT stock up a lot on formula before the baby arrives, because that formula may not agree with their tummy (my babies did not like similac, which is WAY more expensive).

The nutritional content is pretty strictly controlled in formulas and most of them have DHA, omega 3's and the other "extra" stuff I was looking for anyhow. Their pediatrician said that as long as they seem to tolerate the formula well, it didn't really matter.

Word of the wise...do NOT stock up on a bunch of formula. I did this with little DD and she didn't tolerate it and I had to sell it all (thankfully I did sell it!)

:iagree:

But I would try making my own first to see if baby would tolerate it and then try an organic one. Formula tends to be full of questionable ingredients including soy.

http://www.cheeseslave.com/how-to-make-homemade-baby-formula/

Are you trying for "most natural" or "organic" or..... If I were not able to breastfeed, my first choice would be raw goats milk. It's the best for most species :) If I were afraid of raw, I would pasteurize it at home. It's very simple. Goats milk would be less $$$ than formula, depending on where you live. If you can't do Goat's milk, I would use actual Goat's milk Formula (notice this is by the case price) I googled and I would do one of these, next.

:) BTW< if you do goat's milk, there's the choice of adding to it, if you feel the need :)

I tried the cheaper brands and they made my son very sick. The only one he could tolerate was Enfamil.

It will really depend on your child's system.

I'm so sorry you won't be able to BF. I didn't succeed with it and had to turn to formula. It took me a long time to reconcile myself. It was my only chance to be able to do it, so it was a loss for me. :grouphug:

:iagree:

But I would try making my own first to see if baby would tolerate it and then try an organic one. Formula tends to be full of questionable ingredients including soy.

http://www.cheeseslave.com/how-to-make-homemade-baby-formula/

I would be very careful of using the sunflower oil in it. If you have any joint inflammation disorders in the family, it makes them act up.

DD did great on an organic one. I think it was earth's best. Simalic made her gassy and nasty smelling. The Nestle one made her vomit like a rocket.

Choose a brand and type of formula and stick with that kind unless your dc has issues with it. Ds1 started on one of the powder, milk-based formulas. I had a free sample of the pre-mixed liquid formula (same brand) and, while he drank it, he immediately threw it all up. I think it was just too thick and he couldn't tolerate those thickeners. Months later we discovered ds was possibly lactose intolerant and we switched to a soy-based powder formula (same brand). His issues cleared up immediately.

When you're out and about with baby you will want to be sure to use the same water for the bottles. So, if you use your tap water take some of that with you to make up bottles. (I used to just fill the bottles with water and add the powder when a bottle was needed. Mine did fine with lukewarm formula.) Also, if you travel it's best to use distilled water to make up the formula. Baby's digestive system will be more sensitive to the slight differences in the tap water of different water systems. Discovered that one the hard way too.

:grouphug:

I don't know if this is still true, but back when I was pregnant and in a "due date club" we all found that if we'd told the formula companies we were planning to "exclusively breastfeed" we got coupons worth more than those who said they would either mixed feed or exclusively formula feed.

I (EBF) got coupons for $2.00 off per can. My EFF friends got 50c. They were officially "checks" made out to me, but I mailed them to other people who had no problems using them at the store.

Boo's been on Similac from the start, and been doing great.

One thing I *did* find was that I had to adjust the actual amt of powder. If I followed the directions exactly, he was constipated. By slightly underfilling the scoops, it corrected. So keep an eye on that.

Like you, I breastfed all my other kids. but, due to health issues, could not do so w/Boo, and will never be able to do so again.

For me, I *did* find that there were benefits to formula feeding. Being able to sleep while Wolf took a night shift, for instance. Or being able to nap, same thing. And Wolf, for his part, really enjoyed being able to feed Boo. He's admitted that he felt like it made him bond w/Boo in a different way than the others b/c he could *totally* meet all of Boo's needs, whereas w/the others, he had to hand them over for feeding.

So, while there are drawbacks to formula feeding, there are some benefits too.

Boo's been on Similac from the start, and been doing great.

One thing I *did* find was that I had to adjust the actual amt of powder. If I followed the directions exactly, he was constipated. By slightly underfilling the scoops, it corrected. So keep an eye on that.

Like you, I breastfed all my other kids. but, due to health issues, could not do so w/Boo, and will never be able to do so again.

For me, I *did* find that there were benefits to formula feeding. Being able to sleep while Wolf took a night shift, for instance. Or being able to nap, same thing. And Wolf, for his part, really enjoyed being able to feed Boo. He's admitted that he felt like it made him bond w/Boo in a different way than the others b/c he could *totally* meet all of Boo's needs, whereas w/the others, he had to hand them over for feeding.

So, while there are drawbacks to formula feeding, there are some benefits too.

Thank you. I'm hoping that'll be the one good out of it... that my older kids and dad can feed and bond with the baby. I am sad about not breastfeeding, but also think it'll be fun for the kids to get a chance to feed the baby.

I bottle fed my second one due to a severe cows milk allergy. I loved bottle feeding so much more than breast feeding! I got to look my baby in the eyes, she wasn't staring at my armpit :). Everyone could help, I could comfortably feed her anywhere.

My first was a champion 100% breast feeder who slept through the night early, so I was not biased against breast feeding. I would breast feed again if I had another one, but I would wish I was bottle feeding because it was so much more enjoyable. ;) It really was a great bonding experience.

My advice is to stick with whatever formula works best, it really just depends on the babies tummy. I used similac. Definitely sign up for the coupons at the brand website!

My formula fed baby actually had less illness than my 100% nurser BTW

From what I've read they all have to pass the same quality controls. I'd pick one you can afford and start there.

:grouphug:

Nourishing Traditions has a recipe that you can make at home. I have never tried it but if you are interested in seeing what it is, I can PM you.

I know this is a viable option... but it sorta creeps me out.

Not to be mean, but wanted to point out that many people say they are creeped out by milk from another human. However, when you really think about it, which is more creepy? Milk from a human breast or milk from a hairy moo cow teat? Also, not going to doubt you about not being able to nurse, I know there are many valid reasons, but for anyone else reading this, and concerned about medications and nursing, check out the Infant Risk Center, out of the University of Texas. It is the ONLY source for the actual info on how drugs are metabolized, how much is ACTUALLY excreted in breastmilk, what the half life is, what the possible risks are, etc. MOST of the time (not all, but MOST), it is healthier for baby to get milk from mom, even on meds, than formula, which also has chemicals in it. http://www.infantrisk.com

(says the woman that has fed several babies other than her own via donated breastmilk)

Edited by ktgrok

I only used formula for a short time after I quit pumping at 7 months with my now 2 yr old so I'm no help on how to deal with tiny new babes.

But my guy had no problems with whatever I gave him so we opted for the generic brands.

storebrandformula.com was informational for me-- comparing the name brands with store brands.

I ended up just getting whatever was on sale since the generics are all the same... Walmart, Sams, Target, Kmart, Walgreens, CVS, BabiesRUs, etc

"Perrigo Nutritionals offers 50 different infant nutrition formulas to 47 retailers, in more than 30,000 retail locations in the United States and around the world, as well as online at sites such as Diapers.com. While the offerings and store brand name vary by retailer, the formulations are manufactured to consistent quality standards for each category."

National Brand Name..........PBM Formula Name

Enfamil Premium® Infant.....Premium

Enfamil® Gentlease®.........Gentle®

Similac® Advance®...........Advantage®

Similac Sensitive®.............Sensitivity®

There are a few others too-- soy, organic, etc

But read up on it yourself, I'm rusty:blushing:

Oh, I will say that although brand probably doesn't matter, please please do use a milk based formula unless there is a problem. Mammals are designed to thrive on milk from their mother, and when that is not available milk from another mammal is a LOT closer than "milk" from a vegetable like soy. The sugar should be lactose, not some weird sugar. Babies (except in life threatening rare cases) are never lactose intolerant. They CAN be allergic to milk protein from cows, but they are designed to use lactose, which is in human milk and cows milk, for energy.

Not to be mean, but wanted to point out that many people say they are creeped out by milk from another human. However, when you really think about it, which is more creepy? Milk from a human breast or milk from a hairy moo cow teat? Also, not going to doubt you about not being able to nurse, I know there are many valid reasons, but for anyone else reading this, and concerned about medications and nursing, check out the Infant Risk Center, out of the University of Texas. It is the ONLY source for the actual info on how drugs are metabolized, how much is ACTUALLY excreted in breastmilk, what the half life is, what the possible risks are, etc. MOST of the time (not all, but MOST), it is healthier for baby to get milk from mom, even on meds, than formula, which also has chemicals in it. http://www.infantrisk.com

(says the woman that has fed several babies other than her own via donated breastmilk)

:iagree: I was a milk donor. :)

With my ds who was on formula for medical reasons, it took us months of trying formulas. You can't really plan these things and every kid is different. I would have picked donor milk if I could go back, but it wasn't an option at the time. I agree about NOT picking soy formula unless you have no other choice.

I would NOT give infants raw milk of any kind.

I would see what your child can tolerate well and go from there. Obviously some formulas are going to be more expensive than others.

The Nourishing Traditions recipe calls for raw milk, all sorts of additives and raw liver. Um..no.

http://www.realmilk.com/formularecipes.html

Edited by Sis

Maybe that is something new? I was given tons of samples.

Yeah, I think it's a new thing, when I had my twins in Feb I wasn't given any samples from the hospital. And not even one of those cheapie diaper bags. :tongue_smilie:

I was definitely nervous leaving without some sort of emergency stash-- esp with twins and all.

Yeah, I think it's a new thing, when I had my twins in Feb I wasn't given any samples from the hospital. And not even one of those cheapie diaper bags. :tongue_smilie:

I was definitely nervous leaving without some sort of emergency stash-- esp with twins and all.

Very new, I guess! We were at a "nursing friendly" hospital when the twins were born (Nov 2010) and were planning to breastfeed. We had to supplement before we left the hospital (severe low supply) so when we left we were combo feeding. They sent us home with two cheapie diaper bags and like 6 quarts of similac liquid formula. They also apparently signed us up for some kind of twins program through similac and we were sent a whole case of the formula about a week later.

I think at our hospital the new policy is that you have to request one, they won't offer it to you.

Very new, I guess! We were at a "nursing friendly" hospital when the twins were born (Nov 2010) and were planning to breastfeed. We had to supplement before we left the hospital (severe low supply) so when we left we were combo feeding. They sent us home with two cheapie diaper bags and like 6 quarts of similac liquid formula. They also apparently signed us up for some kind of twins program through similac and we were sent a whole case of the formula about a week later.

Wow, that was helpful of them!

The hospital I delivered at was very pro-nursing and brand new (less than a yr old when I delivered) so maybe that had something to do with it. No big deal-- I didn't even think of the diaper bag thing until months later:lol: