Menu

History Cycle Dilemma—WWYD? The best laid plans…

julikins

History Cycle Dilemma--WWYD? Read before voting, please.  

1. 1. History Cycle Dilemma--WWYD? Read before voting, please.

• Follow the History Rotation on our trip as normal?
    • Start Rome, take a break for the trip, then come back to it?
    • Take the year for U.S. studies, next year do Rome, then 1 yr study of U.S. again
    • Do two year study of U.S., then Rome

This year my children are dd5th and ds2nd and we are studying Ancients with MFW Creation to Greeks. This is our first time going through the Classical History rotation. Last year we did MFW ECC.

I had it all planned out. My dd5th would follow the history rotation with MFW (with little brother tagging along), doing Rome to the Reformation next year (6th), followed by two years of American History (7th & 8th).

But, my husband and I are missionaries overseas and furlough is falling at such an odd time. We are planning on going December 2013, in the middle of dd’s 6th grade, in which they would be doing Rome to the Reformation.

There are so many factors contributing to my dilemma but I need help deciding how to proceed. I’m really torn about what to do. I love the history rotation and have been so excited about it, but I also really want to take advantage of the opportunity we are going to have to spend 6 months in the U.S. I want to do field trips to all sorts of historic sites (we’ll be traveling most of the U.S. from Kansas to the East). I just think it’s an important opportunity for my children to experience living in the States and being American for awhile.

I just can’t decide what to do about our history rotation though. Here are my options as far as I can tell:

1.Continue with Rome to Reformation as normal, doing the schooling in the car/hotels/on visits as we travel. I probably wouldn’t be able to handle an all inclusive program like MFW or Sonlight, though, so I would probably go with a text.

2. Start Rome for the semester before we leave. Take a break for the 6 months we’re gone, and then pick it back up when we come back. The draw back to this is that we’ll have to do some considerable review. It also puts us 6 months behind on our rotation. We could probably make it up over the next couple years before high school though.

3. Make 6th grade all about U.S. history, doing fun projects to prepare for the trip and then diving into it while we’re there. Then come back and do Rome to the Reformation for 7th and a 1 year U.S. History for 8th. It would be disjointed, and they wouldn’t get the in-depth study of U.S. History that I wanted.

4. Or, I could skip Rome to the Reformation right now and do the two year study of U.S. History for 6th and 7th, then go back to Rome to the Reformation for 8th. Disjointed, once again. But would accommodate being in the States for 6th grade and allow for an in-depth study of U.S. History with our trip as the focus.

For high school I’m planning to use either MFW’s high school program, which follows the history rotation, or Sonlight, which starts with American History. I’m just in a conundrum over this…

So, what would you do? And Why?

I like options 3 and 4. It's best to maximize your field trip potential. Also a little American History focus in junior high is great preparation for high school government and constitution studies. Also, if you choose to continue with world history, a thorough grounding in American History allows you to fold in the American specifics to the world context.

The best argument, though, is to take full advantage of your time in the states.

I would either go with option #4, or do American in 6th and 7th, then Sonlight Core W in 8th.

I would definitely keep the two years of American history together and take advantage of your trip to the US, but I think either option for 8th would prepare your daughter for high school history.

2. Start Rome for the semester before we leave. Take a break for the 6 months we’re gone, and then pick it back up when we come back. The draw back to this is that we’ll have to do some considerable review. It also puts us 6 months behind on our rotation. We could probably make it up over the next couple years before high school though.

There are so many things where knowing about the fall of Rome (reasons) and things in this timeframe will help with US History. I would definitely start Rome. I'd use the trip for a whirlwind US History fun-fest - without overdoing the history part while you are gone.

I wouldn't worry so much about review when you come back. When you are covering something that needs to reference something from before your trip, just briefly mention it - talk about it - and move on.

Six months "behind" vs. two years "behind"? Seriously? Heck, I can get six months behind on a four year rotation just by sitting a few extra weeks (each) on the Really Cool topics (Egypt/Greece/Rome, Explorers, Revolution, Civil War, World War I, etc.).

Don't stress too much.

I like options 3 and 4. It's best to maximize your field trip potential. Also a little American History focus in junior high is great preparation for high school government and constitution studies. Also, if you choose to continue with world history, a thorough grounding in American History allows you to fold in the American specifics to the world context.

The best argument, though, is to take full advantage of your time in the states.

:iagree: One or the other would be my preference since you have time to plan.

But I think it's fine to take a break however works. We traveled abroad for a month and I stopped our US history study for a long Africa unit as a result. I don't feel like it broke up the flow too much.

I've been bouncing back and forth with other ideas too. I own several books/resources to study Rome but don't own the MFW package for that yet. I do have an old version of the Sonlight Core D+E combined US history. So I could limit my kids studies to what I have on hand until I could go to the States to buy the rest. It would be cheaper.

But then I'm looking at things that are much less complicated for history, like buying All American History by Bright Ideas Press, or A Living History of the World: America's Story, or Story of the World volumes 3&4, or Genevieve Foster's books, maybe using a Beautiful Feet guide. Aaahhh! There are too many options and I don't know how to break it down.