Menu

The Hollow Crown

I just finished watching all eight hours of The Hollow Crown and. . . wow, just. . .wow. I can't shake it off. That's the best Prince Hal I've ever seen, and I've seen all or parts of the Henriad at least ten times.

Wow.

If you like Shakespeare, you've got to see these films.

Wowsers.

wow - how did I miss this?

How did you watch it? Netlflix doesn't seem to have it yet.

wow - how did I miss this?

How did you watch it? Netlflix doesn't seem to have it yet.

I don't think it has been broadcast here in the US; I did read somewhere that PBS was planning to show the whole thing at some point. And Amazon has it to buy, but only in the non-USA format as yet, I suppose because it hasn't been shown here yet.

However, you can view the whole thing off of YouTube, if you have a way to watch on your computer or stream it. I streamed it onto AppleTV. Here are links:

Henry V

Of course, Prince Hal doesn't appear until the second film, but the entire thing is awesome. Marrying Shakespeare's powerful words with the visceral visual medium of film is. . .well, it just hits you right between the eyes and yanks your heart up into your throat. Needs to be previewed for kids, though, if they are interested, as there is realistic gore and some sExy bits.

Here's

if anyone's interest needs to be further whetted.

How gory? Like Mel Gibson gory? I can't do that.

Oh, no, not that gory! Bolingbroke is shown directing an execution that is pretty graphic, and Richard II's murder is clearly shown. Then the battle scenes have a lot of spear thrusts and screaming but no spouting Braveheart style gore.