Menu

Cooking a big jack o latern style of pumpkin...

Will I just be wasting time trying to cook up the flesh from the pumpkins we painted for Halloween? (thank you rain for washing them off for us yesterday) The seeds are coming out regardless, but I thought we could use the pumpkin as well but everything I am reading says it produces watery, fiberous, flavor laking results.

My mom does it every year, and says it works fine. She gets all of the ones that don't sell from my uncle's Halloween store and cooks and freezes them and uses them all year. Might be better if they were the smaller ones, but usuable, and no complaints. I think you add sugar to pies and muffins and they are good to go :)

I don't think it's a waste of time unless you peel and boil it instead of baking it. You can puree the cooked pumpkin in the blender to get rid of the stringiness and then dump it in a strainer so it's not watery. I've honestly never noticed a huge difference in flavor in any orange pumpkin, no matter the size. Other types of squash make better-flavored pies and breads and such, in my opinion, than any pumpkin.

I don't think it's a waste of time unless you peel and boil it instead of baking it. You can puree the cooked pumpkin in the blender to get rid of the stringiness and then dump it in a strainer so it's not watery. I've honestly never noticed a huge difference in flavor in any orange pumpkin, no matter the size. Other types of squash make better-flavored pies and breads and such, in my opinion, than any pumpkin.

:iagree: I have done it severall times. Bake, blend and drain in a mesh strainer if you have one. If not a regular strainer will work. I have made pies and breads with no problems.

Thanks for the optimistic reply. I think I will just try it with the one that still looks the best. I just have to find that mesh strainer that I know is here somewhere.

Any baking tips?

You mean on how to bake the pumpkin? You can just stick the whole thing in the oven at 350 and bake till it's soft but not turning brown. I prefer to cut it in half before, but you don't have to. If it's huge, you might need to do it in two batches. Anyway, once it's cooked, scrape out the seeds and fibers, then separate the flesh from the skin (this should be easy if you cook it till it's soft), then puree. That's it.

You mean on how to bake the pumpkin? You can just stick the whole thing in the oven at 350 and bake till it's soft but not turning brown. I prefer to cut it in half before, but you don't have to. If it's huge, you might need to do it in two batches. Anyway, once it's cooked, scrape out the seeds and fibers, then separate the flesh from the skin (this should be easy if you cook it till it's soft), then puree. That's it.

It is a biggie. I have half baking in the oven, a quarter of it steaming in my steaming pot, and a quarter waiting to be determined.