Menu

So does the WP article mean ...

That SWB will probably not be writing any more of the COmplete Writer Series?

Of course I feel compassion for SWB and I am happy for her, that she is closing one very stressful chapter of her life, and opening a business which sounds like a wonderful dream to me.

But I do kinda need to know about my future choices with Writing curriculum with my dd who is now using WWE and I had assumed could go all the way with The Complete Writer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/home-schooling-pioneer-susan-wise-bauer-is-well-versed-in-controversy/2012/10/29/521a3070-da80-11e1-9745-d9ae6098d493_story.html

And I'm sorry if this is redundant. I am sure someone already posted this on the general board or somewhere but I didn't find it.

Writing With Skill is very much on the front burner! SWB is only taking a brief break from her chronological narrative of world history for Norton in order to rethink and possibly redesign the project.

WWS will be a full four-volume set--three core volumes and an optional fourth year. The next volume is scheduled for summer 2013, and the third volume for the following year.

Writing With Skill is very much on the front burner! SWB is only taking a brief break from her chronological narrative of world history for Norton in order to rethink and possibly redesign the project.

WWS will be a full four-volume set--three core volumes and an optional fourth year. The next volume is scheduled for summer 2013, and the third volume for the following year.

Thank you for letting us know!! There's been so much conjecture about it since the article that it's good to hear straight from the source. SWB thank you for ALL you do!!!!!

SUSAN WISE BAUER--

Just wanted to encourage you in your history writing. I remember your blog post about the reasons to stop and rethink/redesign the project, and am wholly supportive of that process.

I really hope you are able to write some sort of modern history. I am currently teaching Modern Literature and Modern History to a group of teens. I spent a considerable amount of time this summer trying to choose a text. I read numerous history tomes. I found that there are two extremes:

1. Those books that assume a large body of background knowledge in the reader. These books tend to be thin on details and explanations, but heavy on interpretation. Vocabulary also tends to be quite advanced. Even an academically sound upperclassman just does not have enough context to readily understand a book written in this manner--they need more facts, details, and explanations.

2. Those books that are ONLY facts and short explanations, with hardly any interpretation. These books also tend to be very, very light and often heavily Americentric. I did not consider these to be suitable for a high school course (just not beefy enough), though there are many who use them as such.

We ended up settling on A History of the Modern World, by Palmer, Colton, and Cramer. It was literally the only book I was able to find that included BOTH the facts and explanations AND some more advanced interpretation. It also is easier to read than the books I referenced in point one, above Unfortunately, the text is pretty advanced. Most of my students are academic heavy hitters, so they are swimming along pretty well, but my more average students are really struggling with this text.

My own daughter is, in many ways, reading and understanding this text well. However, she has mentioned several times that she wishes YOU had a modern history book out there. She grew up on SOTW and loved it, and last year worked through most of HOAW. (She has also done Hakim's American history series and found that readable and understandable.) My daughter specifically says she misses your "clear" writing.

So--thank you for the excellent history resources that you have already done. They have benefited our family greatly. We hope you are able to turn your attention to modern history at some point, because there is definitely a need.

So glad I came across this! Wow!!!! I already had lots of respect for SWB and her mom! I really enjoyed reading more about the family and how close they are. Kudos to them and kudos to SWB for not settling in order to keep up with the current homeschool trends and for remaining true to herself and what she stands for. Glad to hear she is doing something she enjoys and is meaningful to her and her family.

I am happy to hear that publication of WWS will continue :). I would love to see ALL continue also but if not, I can always use the other recommendations found in the WTM.

Wishing SWB and her family all the best in whatever the future holds for them :)!

Edited by Guest

To follow up on what the other Moderator said...Writing With Skill 2 is now eligible for pre-order on Amazon (both the instructor and student books).

The student book is here.

And the instructor book is here.

Justin

Will WWS2 also be available a little earlier in PDF form as was WWS1?

Thanks for all you do!

What a relief to hear!