Menu

Spin-off -- A funny re: Sweet Tea...

A couple of summers ago, our family traveled north to attend a wedding. North of Tennessee there was no sweet tea to be found. (I've since been told that every Cracker Barrel serves sweet tea, but we didn't know this at the time.) After a week "abroad", we were definitely craving some tea, as well as other Southern delicacies! On our way home, as soon as we crossed the state line into Georgia, we stopped at a restaurant and ordered 4 LARGE sweet teas, and we also stopped and bought some boiled peanuts to go with it. Mmmmm! That was the best refreshment we'd had since the trip began! LOL!

You know, before we moved down to MS, every Yankee we knew who had visited down here told us that we had to try the boiled peanuts once we got here. We've been here just over a year and narry a boiled nut have we seen. Is this more of a coastal South thing? Where should one go to procure boiled peanuts?

Mom-to-three-sons,

Yes, you just throw them in a pot full of water and let them boil, but you have to use green peanuts.

They are definately an acquired taste. . .It took me about 15 years down here before I started to actually like them (same with the grits).

shell

go figure, since we're the second-most southern state in the lower 48.

I've never heard of "boiled peanuts". AND I have uncles in OK who always raised peanuts! Do you just throw them - shelled - in some water? I'd like to try them!

I am from OK

TX and OK aren't the South, they are a seperate world. :lol:

North of Tennessee there was no sweet tea to be found.

Okay, folks, I grew up in northern Indiana with sweet tea. I vividly remember going to a restaurant when I was young (a rare event) and my mom warned me that the tea wouldn't be sweet -- they'd expect us to just dump sugar in to sweeten it. It was the first time I heard that there was such a thing as un-sweet tea. And it just. wasn't. right.

Mom wasn't from the south either. I guess she just liked sugar.

Nary a boiled peanut or a serving of grits in my background, though.

Here's my southern tea funny: A co-worker was on a business trip in the northeast and requested ice tea (she knew better than to ask for sweet tea!). The server replied that ice tea was "out of season." My co-worker, not to be denied, asked if they had hot tea. Upon receiving an affirmative reply, she then asked for hot tea and a glass of ice. She made her own sweet tea at the table. :D

Pegasus

I remember having those when I was a kid. I went back to SC after having been gone for 2 decades to visit family...first thing dad fixed me was grits. Yep, I still have a taste for it :D

I love grits...grits with butter, salt and pepper. Grits fixed like cream of wheat. Grits with my fried over medium eggs cut up into them....and I'm from Ohio......:lol:

Here's my southern tea funny: A co-worker was on a business trip in the northeast and requested ice tea (she knew better than to ask for sweet tea!). The server replied that ice tea was "out of season." My co-worker, not to be denied, asked if they had hot tea. Upon receiving an affirmative reply, she then asked for hot tea and a glass of ice. She made her own sweet tea at the table. :D

Pegasus

Now that's a women after my own heart.....Or worse yet they bring you a bottle of Nestles tea....blech,blech...that is not sweet tea!!

About 10 years ago, I went to a restaurant in Kansas City, MO. I asked for Sweet Tea. The waitress told me that there was sugar on the table. WHAT?! I explained the difference between "Sweet" tea and "Sweetened" tea.

Would you mind explaining it for those of us who don't 'get' Sweet Tea?

:)

ETA: Oh! I see there's an entire thread. I'll go look there for an explanation.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'm shuddering too. No sweet tea for me, thank you. The first and last time I had boiled peanuts was when I was 13. A friend of mine bought a can and shared them with me while we spun around on the nearby park's merry-go-round. I had to go home suddenly with a headache and a queasy stomach.

Tx is "the West" instead of "the South"--we drink sweet tea, but until recently, you couldn't order it in a restaurant. It's still not common.

Dh & I drove to Va a few yrs ago, & coming back thr the S, I was amazed to find real, true sweet tea. None of this peach-kinda-sweet garbage. I mean, a full cup (or more) of sugar to a pitcher.

My family has been in Tx for about 5 generations, but before that, we were from Va. I guess heritage shows, because tea's got. to. be. sweet.

My favorite comment on this was from a prof here. He was offered tea, asked if it was sweet, & was told no, but there's sweetener at the table. Since anybody who drinks sweet tea knows it can't be sweetened once it has cooled, he replied that they don't serve coke w/out sweetener & tell you you can add sugar at the table. People wouldn't stand for it! LOL

Well, being from the South, you haven't lived until you've had an ice-cold Pepsi in a glass bottle with a pack of salted peanuts poured into it! Of course, you can't get it in glass bottles anymore. :( I loved that as a child. I know, should be Coke in the South, but no, its Pepsi-Cola.

;) Kim

About 10 years ago, I went to a restaurant in Kansas City, MO. I asked for Sweet Tea. The waitress told me that there was sugar on the table. WHAT?! I explained the difference between "Sweet" tea and "Sweetened" tea.

Oh some places in KC have sweet tea and some don't, you just have to know which ones. :lol: