Menu

If you're having your DC color in a map of results.....

I let dd fill in the projected winners. I sent her to bed about 15 minutes ago, and she wanted to make sure that I leave it for her to finish in the morning. I was a bit shocked how interested she was, but I guess I should have realized it yesterday when her stuffed animals held an election! She was also fascinated watching me vote.

I downloaded an iPad app where you touch the screen and turn it red or blue and the it adds the electoral votes. It's easy to change so we're doing it as the local stations call results. Dd is not a big fan of coloring so this was a better option for her.

On a positive note, apparently stack the states is a good use of her free time because the app map shows the numbers of electoral votes in each state instead of the name or abbreviation. She recognizes all the states by shape from playing the game.

We are coloring them as the states are being projected. I watched how Delaware shaped up, and despite calling it very early, they were accurate. NBC was quite cautious about FL and OH. I thought they have done a nice job. If anything changes overnight, that will be a lesson in how individual votes count.

Very fun after-election map to look over (I apologize if I've already posted this-- it's been a really long day. A really, really, really, really long day. The kind of day that starts to make boarding school look temporarily attractive. The kind of day that makes you sympathize with Lois in "Malcolm in the Middle" even though you have kids who everyone normally tells you are angels. It has been a please pass another bottle of wine day).

Anyway, this guy redrew the US map . . . first to stretch the states to reflect the size of each state's population, then he made another map to stretch the states to reflect the size of each state's electoral college votes. It's a little strange to see Delaware the same size as Wyoming! But seeing it this way, colored in according to how the states were called, makes the balance between red and blue states and how the election went, much more visually understandable.

Apparently this guy, a physicist, is working on a county by county map (something I showed my DS11 today to let him know that the southern and midwestern worlds were more diverse than a simple state map would imply) as well. We love the county maps we have googled-- it was interesting to see some states that seemed to glow "bright red" where votes were actually in the close to 50/50 split range, and discuss a few counties that were amazingly homogeneous-- one candidate getting as little as 8% of the votes in a very few.

So here are the stretchy maps: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2012/