Menu

How long did you wait in line to vote?

I can't believe some of the numbers I'm seeing, both on television and from my friends on Facebook. The winner so far among my personal friends is 6 hours 10 minutes, and her husband is still there. I was there a total of 30 minutes. How long did you have to wait?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there about 20 minutes total, about a 5 minute wait in line and then 15 minutes to actually vote. Many other voters were not happy with me because I took so long, but my 10 y/o dd was with me and I explained each and every step of the process to her. The polling officials complemented me on doing that so those that were miffed, oh well. The line wasn't huge or anything.

90 minutes in line, in the rain. Took about 5 minutes to fill out the abnormally long ballot (Florida) using my sample ballot as a cheat sheet. Then another 5 minutes in line waiting to feed my ballot into the scanner.

It was amazing. The line never shortened the entire time we were in it.

ETA: This was the line at 8am this morning. What the picture was unable to capture was the line that bent around the trees, and up another sidewalk. Additionally, there were about 10 people in line behind me (the camera angle).

111.jpg

Edited by Hockey Mom

I can't believe it either! There have been very long lines in my city and a neighboring city. I didn't wait at all - I walked right up. In and out in less than 5 minutes. Today - not absentee or early.

I think some districts definitely must not be staffing and/or setting up the voting lines correctly for efficiency. I know a neighboring city went from something like 135 voting locations to 115, which can make a big difference in crowds too and there's some growing pains involved with that.

I waited a little over an hour, as did DH when he voted a couple of hours later (I got in line a little after 1). My friends who live in the next precinct over hardly had to wait at all, though.

I think it's great you waited! (But don't tell me how you voted. lol. I just want to know people are able to vote!)

One hour. Longest I've ever waited!!! We had some pretty important stuff on the ballot here in MI.

My husband also waited an hour. He ran over later in the day to check on the lines. There were 10 people. The workers said it was the shortest it had been all day. Our city looks to have over a 60% voter turn out rate!!!!

It took me over an hour to vote. I live in a small town & went in the middle of the day. There were only about 8 people in line in front of me, yet it took about 45 minutes just to get my ballot. About 10 minutes to vote, then another 20 minutes wtg for them to fix the machine that we put our ballots in.

What's up with all the long lines being reported around the country??? I don't recall that being a problem in past elections.

In my precinct they did things differently than in the past. In past elections we showed our id, verified our address & signed a book or sheet & got our ballot, filled it out & fed it into a machine.

Today I had to filll out a small form called an "Application to Vote" which asked for my name, address & signature & show that along with my id at one table. At the next table I gave my id & form to a worker who checked me off on a laptop, gave a number to the worker handing out the ballots, the ballot lady gave her a ballot number, then I got my ballot. Filled it out, fed it to the machine and was done.

No wait at all. I went at about 10am this morning while most people were at work.

Our polling place was pretty streamlined-- no "I Voted!" stickers, no cookies or juice, nothing. They did ask for ID, but were ready with alternate plans if you didn't have an ID or polling card with you; they were highly organized.

DS11 is waiting up with the electoral college map, tracking election results (not to mention reviewing his geography :D ).

It took me over an hour to vote. I live in a small town & went in the middle of the day. There were only about 8 people in line in front of me, yet it took about 45 minutes just to get my ballot. About 10 minutes to vote, then another 20 minutes wtg for them to fix the machine that we put our ballots in.

What's up with all the long lines being reported around the country??? I don't recall that being a problem in past elections.

In my precinct they did things differently than in the past. In past elections we showed our id, verified our address & signed a book or sheet & got our ballot, filled it out & fed it into a machine.

Today I had to filll out a small form called an "Application to Vote" which asked for my name, address & signature & show that along with my id at one table. At the next table I gave my id & form to a worker who checked me off on a laptop, gave a number to the worker handing out the ballots, the ballot lady gave her a ballot number, then I got my ballot. Filled it out, fed it to the machine and was done.

I live in a lesser population town as well. They were very all about checking in and checking out. It was a little more intense than in the past.

My dh waited about an hour. That seemed to be the average time throughout the day. I have never seen so many cars at this location! I waited 45 minutes, but just a little after I got in line the line grew again. Some of us in line wondered if it was taking longer due to more split ticket voting or something like that. I have never had to wait much at all at this precinct until today. My dad in another town in our state just walked in with no wait. I drove past another polling location that also had a ton of cars. I just think there was a much larger turnout in our area for some reason. It makes me happy to see so many people turning out to vote.

No wait. We thought we were rushed because we set out at 5:00 and had to get dinner, vote, and get DD to dance by 6:00. Went through a drive thru and I sat in the car eating with DDs while DH went in to vote then we would trade. He was back much quicker than we expected. He got to walk right up. So he ate and I finished then we took DDs in for my turn to vote so DD could see. I also walked right up both to check in and up to the machine. We were expecting a longer wait. Got DD to dance with time to do up her hair first!