Menu

What brand name products do you still use that were used in your home as a kid?

I realized that there are several brand name products that I still prefer basically for no other reason than that they were used in my home growing up. I started thinking about this when I saw the Dobie dish sponge in my hand while washing dishes and realized my mother always used them and it had never even occurred to me to try anything else! Here are others:

-Crest toothpaste

-Pam cooking spray (although I now use the organic)

-Heinz ketchup (ditto the organic)

-Cascade dishwasher crystals

-Noxema face wash

What are yours? And do you just buy them unthinkingly because they are what your parents used? Or have you tried other products and they work better? Are there any you AVOID because they were used at home and you didn't like them? (mine for that is Palmolive dish soap-never liked the smell)

Just an interesting thought for the day! (to keep us from discussing politics:))

Edited by HappyGrace

Are there any you AVOID because they were used at home and you didn't like them? (mine for that is Palmolive dish soap-never liked the smell)

Just an interesting thought for the day! (to keep us from discussing politics:))

Pine Sol -- cannot stand the odor. It makes me want to :ack2:

Colgate toothpaste - hubby used that as a kid and would tend to pick it

Scott-Brite heavy duty scrub sponge (green kind)- my mum used that and it does work better than the rest

Johnson baby shampoo/soap/lotion - everybody still use them.

Palmolive and Ajax dish soap - hubby used that as a kid and would tend to pick it

Johnson & Johnson band aid

Jif

Reynolds aluminium foil

Lestoil. Same reason.

I mostly opt out of all products used when I was growing up because I choose more Eco-friendly, organic, non-processed items.

:iagree: We also have food allergies/dye allergies- so we don;t use the typical brands for a lot of things.

Actually, I'm trying to think of a single brand of anything that I currently use that was used in my house growing up- and I can't.

We pretty much use all eco-friendly products now compared to my mom when I was young. I use vinegar and water for most everything, actually.

The one cleaning item we do still use (which is not at all eco-friendly) is Dow's Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner. Dh requires it to get the shower clean (he cleans our stand-up shower).

Oh, and Lysol - we use Lysol in our trash baskets every time we put in a new bag.

Bon Ami is one item from my childhood I use*; one-ply generic toilet paper is one I avoid!

*ETA I thought of another one- Goo Gone. Other than those Magic Eraser things, Goo Gone is the most miraculous cleaning product ever!

Edited by Element

Hmm... nothing, actually. :tongue_smilie:

I'm pretty cheap, so I buy what fits my budget (within reason - there are some things that are just MUCH better if they aren't store brand).

Oh, wait. I buy from Schwan's. Not a ton, but they have the best ice cream on the planet. :D That's definitely a brand loyalty thing because a) my grandpa worked for them for years and b) we had a deep freeze full of Schwan's growing up.

:)

The only brands I use that I grew up with are Pine Sol and Best Foods/Hellman's mayo. Other than those mom bought pretty much whatever was cheapest. I remember when generic products first came out and we splurged on Strawberry Preserves--the jar with the plain white label and black lettering.

Avoid from growing up: Spam! :D

I mostly opt out of all products used when I was growing up because I choose more Eco-friendly, organic, non-processed items.

I can't really think of anything, either. I don't like fragrances, but my mom does, so I don't buy most of the fragranced things that I grew up with (Snuggly, Tide, etc.).

I have such different taste in food than my mom, too. Kraft Dinner, Vienna Sausages, Spam--these are things my mom bought, but I don't.

Now, my DH, on the other hand, loves several things from his childhood, like Jello Cook and Serve Pudding. :lol:

Ever item I think of.....I buy a competitors brand. LOL

She bought/ I buy

Joy/Dawn

Cheer/Tide

Pepsodent/Crest

Ivory/Dove

White bread/wheat bread

Wine/beer

Snuggle softener/Bounce

Chevy or Ford/Honda VW

Hmmm, now wonder we barely tolerate each other, we don't even agree on these things!

The only one that comes to mind is HP Sauce, but not the kind they sell in the US with HFCS.

ETA: And Keiller's Dundee Marmalade.

Edited by nmoira

Things I buy

Johnsons & Johnsons baby spray conditioner (cuz I have horrible hair and this is the ONLY thing that works)

Vicks Vapo Rub - works wonders for asthma/bronchitis in the desert

Viva Paper Towels

I just found 'Bolthouse' dressing/dip. This seems to be the only brand that doesn't make me ill so its now a 'thing I buy'

I avoid:

pine sol

Edited by Whoareyou

I cant think of anything but one thing i did BUY because my parents had it was Revere Pots and Pans. They got a set when they got married and they still use them 27yrs later and so one year with taxes, I bought a set and we are still using them 6yrs later. :001_smile:

I don't always buy off brands but I do usually buy the cheapest or what I deem the best value (quality for price.) I learned that as a kid for sure. I not especially brand loyal. Adams peanut butter was a treat when I was a kid and I always buy that or a similar all natural no added sugar brand.

I only use Lodge cast iron pans which is something from my parents. In fact, one of the pans is exactly the same pan. Lasts forEVAH!

Don't buy many cleaning supplies.

I can't think of anything my parents were brand loyal to really.

I can't think of any. I guess I'm a rebel...

I buy by price and tested quality. My mom was hooked on brand names. She's since changed about many things after trying things at our house. ;)

To be fair, I think many no-name brands have improved since I was young. There are certain no-name brands that are quite good (even when tested by Consumer Reports and our local TV news), and others that aren't quite so good. The only way to know is to try them.

I will buy brand name if a sale and/or coupon makes them less expensive, but only if the quality is ok too.