Menu

Geography in first grade

StephanieF

We don't have time for much but I would like to do something. I have got the Dover "around the world" colouring book which is very basic. We have a globe and an atlas. Is there anything you can recomend to give me a little structure to work off? I've seen reference to galloping the globe here, is that used a lot or anything else?

Thanks

Stephanie

We don't have time for much but I would like to do something. I have got the Dover "around the world" colouring book which is very basic. We have a globe and an atlas. Is there anything you can recomend to give me a little structure to work off? I've seen reference to galloping the globe here, is that used a lot or anything else?

Thanks

Stephanie

These are what I used for grade one, along with this. The set of 3 was recommend in the original edition of LCC- I'm not sure if this has changed or not. I found them easy to use and to implement. They weren't as in-depth as I would have liked, but for me the best curriculum is the one that gets done. And these got done. Plus my dd quite enjoyed working through them. When we did the 3rd book, I did supplement with more colouring pages and information that I found on enchantedlearning.com.

HTH

I am using Teacher Created, "Down to Earth Geography, Grade 1". You can see it here:

http://www.buyteachercreated.com/estore/product/9271

I also considered Evan Moor's"Daily Geography Practice Grade 1". You can see it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Geography-Practice-Grade-1/dp/1557999708

Both of these are very similar & come in various different grade levels.

Hope this helps.

I'm getting Maps and Mapping from Young Discoverers (Kingfisher) so we can learn about maps in Kindergarten. I consider maps to be a great tool and necessary to understand the concepts later on. Then we're doing My World and Globe by Ira Wolfman, which includes a cute inflatable globe with stand, a friendly book with 9 easy chapters, and reusable stickers. All for just under $14. There's even a sticker with "I live here" so you can show your child where he lives. Other stickers include seasons, some countries, some states, a few natural wonders and famous monuments, animals and habitats. I think it's a great introduction. I plan on doing this in a very relaxed manner, as they come up in life, and on a weekly basis.

In first grade we'll be moving on to Geography lesson plans by Tanglewood Education http://tanglewoodeducation.com/corebook.htm. It's included with the corebook (also included with the corebook is a whole year of lesson plans for health & safety!). I swear I don't work for these people, but how do I love their materials :)

A friend of mine sent this one: Have you taken a look at "A Trip Around The World" and "Another Trip Around the World" You can see sample pages for each of these at www.rainbowresource.com

Here is my thread with my entire plan http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29571 may be more than you want to do but there are some great book ideas in there, suggested by me and others.

I added Draw Write Now, they have two books that have lessons on drawing the continents and the animals that live there, along with book suggestions and additional information, it is really like an entire curriculum in there, but the focus is not on culture... www.drawyourworld.com