Menu

Need help with TOG year 1

redquilthorse

What are you using for your spine? There's a great list to use Story of the World as the spine...let me find it.

Here: http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/sotwtog1.htm

Maybe that will help you cut some things?

Well, we aren't using SOTW, although it is tempting for weeks when there is a lot of information. I might pick up a copy.

This is our third year in LG, and I am finally starting to be able to let things go. Since dd7 loves the books so much, we read every.single.one--even the read-alouds intended for LG, UG and D. I recently realized that we keep this up, there won't be a whole lot to left when we get to the next rotation. I have come to the conclusion that if it is not relatively easy to fit in our schedule, we won't do it. I still have lots of time to fit it in when my kids are older and more independent in their academics.

Some weeks are very full and others are not at all. Look ahead and see how the next few weeks will be and if you can stretch out some of the readings. We've done that a few times. I think the patriarchs was the first time and then on our first run through ancient Greece.

I use STOW as a read aloud at the beginning of the week and they narrate what we read. We also read general information pages. It helps me to point out the "take home" point. I also spend time on Friday reviewing what we talked about.

We are similar to pp- we like to read as many books as possible. I've only been at this for little longer than the op, and I agree that it is hard to let some things go. We've just recently found our groove and we are in Unit 2, week 12!