Menu

Realistic ideas for employment for young wife

A young woman I know has just emailed me saying her husband has become mentally disabled and it will be two years before they can get VA benefits. She is "looking everywhere for work". There are a 5 and 4 year old child, and they are living in a travel trailer and renting the single-wide they are paying off to make the mortgage on it.

She has a high school degree and no specific talents, and has dyslexia (not a stellar student and hated school.) I was never in this situation (I worked restaurants and ate my meals from leftovers, and lived with roommates to get by).

Anything I could advise her? Housecleaning? She has done some work in sales, I have no idea how well she is at it, though.

My niece has two young ones. She lives in Texas and was able to get money to go to school and get child care as well as WIC to help feed the kids. She became a phlebologist and was able to get a better than minimum wage job. She did work as a waitress during this time Now she back in school again taking education classes to become a teacher. The phlebology program was relatively short, and she didn't have trouble finding jobs after she had earned her certificate.

My niece found she could earn the most money and have the best flexibility as a waitress. Hopefully, your area has programs to help with childcare and education so the young lady can have a chance to make ends meet and make a better life.

A young woman I know has just emailed me saying her husband has become mentally disabled and it will be two years before they can get VA benefits. She is "looking everywhere for work". There are a 5 and 4 year old child, and they are living in a travel trailer and renting the single-wide they are paying off to make the mortgage on it.

She has a high school degree and no specific talents, and has dyslexia (not a stellar student and hated school.) I was never in this situation (I worked restaurants and ate my meals from leftovers, and lived with roommates to get by).

Anything I could advise her? Housecleaning? She has done some work in sales, I have no idea how well she is at it, though.

:( I wonder why it will take 2 years to get benefits...or how she knows that time frame.....maybe that is worst case. And I worry about 2 young children...hopefully they are in school.

Jobs for someone like her depend on where she lives. She could probably make more money cleaning houses, but no benefits. I would suggest she apply at hospitals and schools and. My SIL got a job in the school cafeteria and kept it until she remarried. It was a good job for her since she had kids in school.

Certainly where I live anyone housecleaning can make a very good living if they're thorough and reliable (even those who aren't seem to do very well). There seem to be far more people needing cleaning help than there are those offering cleaning services here. The local rate for a good cleaner is anything between £10 to £15 per hour (approx. $16 to $24 per hour). Many local cleaners also take home laundry and ironing.

Jobs w/ benefits:

Schools- lunchroom, teacher's aids, janitorial

hospitals/nursing homes- aids, cafeteria, janitorial

Other ideas- grocery store clerk, deli, etc

Is she organized? One of my college roommates didn't graduate, but got a job w/ a car dealership while in school as a receptionist/secretary and worked her way up. She changed companies a few years ago, but has always mad good money and had benefits.

Cat sitting pays $25 per day here. Dog walking for about 20" pays about $20. All-day dog sitting pays even more. There's a site called CitySitter that would show going rates for her area if her area participates.

Not glamorous, but picking up dog poo can pay well. Bleh!

Colleges and universities, private schools would have beginner jobs and possibly free child care.

Edited by MBM

I know someone who stopped working at a grocery store because it was minimum wage only and unpredictable/variable hours and started working instead at an animal hospital. Another large store pays at least $2 more per hour. But there are a lot of holiday sales type jobs at this time of the year, at least it would help for the next 2 months.

My niece found she could earn the most money and have the best flexibility as a waitress.

This is my suggestion as well.

When I was in college, I waited tables at a family restaurant with three single moms who managed to make enough in tips, working full-time, to pay their rent and other bills. Paycheck basically all went to health insurance. One woman provided child care in the day while her little ones were little, then worked evenings while her mother cared for her own children, but that would be a difficult load for anyone, much less someone with a disabled spouse to care for.

Waiting tables (in a state in which servers are paid the minimum wage) can be good money, and the flexible hours could allow for child care arrangements with friends or family.

Cat

(Ducking in advance) What about a calling center? It's pretty easy to get employment at companies that do customer service/satisfaction/charity surveys and solicitations. No benefits and will probably be part time, but they go through a lot of turnover and so are almost always hiring. The part-time hours might work well if kids are in school during the day.

short term: holiday retail. it will get her experience, and a pay check. when dd did this, she chose a women's clothing store, so she could buy discounted clothing for her next interviews. in her case, maybe a children's clothing store would work? then while she's getting retail experience and a paycheck, she can look into what kinds of training options she might persue so that she ends up able to work full time at something that will support them.

she could also see if the trailer park owners are looking for someone to be on site to deal with problems, or find an apartment building that needs a superintendent. if, for example, her dh is dealing with PTSD he might be able to help her with some basic repair things occasionally which could be good for both of them. and those jobs often come with an apartment.

hth,

ann

I'd check out head start for the "childcare" aspect of it.... Waitressing or Hosting, Tell her to find someone who really uses welfare and have them help her milk it. Tell her that you absolutely support this... if she's gonna work her way out of it :) It can be absolutely life saving, when used for the short term. And, finding someone who's been on it and knows how to get the most.... is how you work the system..... (I've known people who have stayed on it ...for years!!)

short term: holiday retail. it will get her experience, and a pay check. when dd did this, she chose a women's clothing store, so she could buy discounted clothing for her next interviews. in her case, maybe a children's clothing store would work? then while she's getting retail experience and a paycheck, she can look into what kinds of training options she might persue so that she ends up able to work full time at something that will support them.

Yeah, any store she likes to shop at, that offers an employee discount would help.