Menu

Narrations with multiple young children

lgliser

Hello!

So... if we do SOTW and Apologia, it sounds like those both include doing narrations. Yes?

My triplets will be in first grade next year and so I assume I'll be doing the physical writing for them. So my question is about the logistics of this. Like I'll read the section and then we'll narrate. But I obviously can't write three different papers all at once so how do I do this? What can the other 2 be doing while I'm working with the other so that the information won't leave their mind? Or do I just need to suck it up and read it three times do you think?

I didn't write my kids' narrations down, either. Not until or unless they needed that extra nudge when they started writing their own down. That was always individual writing instruction, not a group activity.

I don't do narrations with 3 kids at the same level, but I do them regularly with 3 kids, and occasionally 5. With your circle of kids I'd ask the first one to tell me what he learned, then ask the second one to add something the first one didn't mention, and the third to add something the first two didn't mention. Rotate who you start with daily, so they all get a chance at every step.

For SOTW, they alternate who does the oral narration (nobody writes). My kids haven't had trouble doing narrations and by rotating it I'm comfortable that this is true for both of them.

For WWE2 (if you choose it) we alternate who goes first and the other goes to the living room and thinks up theirs. Those I write down.

Wanted to add that I like SilverMoon's idea. We fall back to that if someone gets stuck.

Wow, well I never even thought of not writing them down. Would you at least maybe have them draw a picture? I'm very new at all of this homeschool stuff and I've read TWTM and like the ideas that she gives so I just assumed that narration (including writing down what they say) was a big part of things.

So if I didn't write, would I keep one of those 3 ring binders for things like this? Or it's just all in our heads?

:iagree:Remember that Charlotte Mason was applying her strategies in the classroom... that means many children, so for narrations, it usually rotated, not every child every time. And never written down. It's nice and cute to record the narration - plus, I think it helps children get a sense of how easy it is to write their ideas. But for every single time, not necessary at all.

:iagree:Remember that Charlotte Mason was applying her strategies in the classroom... that means many children, so for narrations, it usually rotated, not every child every time. And never written down. It's nice and cute to record the narration - plus, I think it helps children get a sense of how easy it is to write their ideas. But for every single time, not necessary at all.

:iagree: It's nice and important for children who aren't writing to see their ideas in print. But every single time? That would get tedious, kwim? Drawing a picture is a great idea actually. My ds does copywork/dictation in a nice unlined sketchbook and then illustrates with coloring pencils under that.