Menu

Greek Yogurt

It is not "better", just different.

Some people prefer it for the higher protein content (less water).

We love it for taste and texture.

:iagree: I just made some this weekend. I make it plain then we can sweeten/flavor however we like it. I really like how thick & creamy it is.

I think less sugar (ie the tart aspect) and higher protein. I only like the Chobani brand, which has fruit (and probably sugar) mixed in. Not so tart.

Plain greek yougurt can be used in many recipes to replace sour cream. I also add it to smoothies...protein boost.

Way LESS fat and way MORE protein. My dh has lost 25 lbs. eating it and substituting it for more fatty sources of protein. (over 5 mths) He NEVER would eat yogurt before! I think it's too tart but he likes it...buys the big box at Costco. It's probably an acquired taste. :)

Thanks all. I tried some this week and it was more tart then regular yogurt but more thick and creamy. I liked it. I was just curious about it because there seems to be more advertising for "greek" yogurt these days.

You must try Chobani's wonderful flavors - blood orange, pineapple, mango. Oh my. I don't think I can ever eat another yogurt!

It's really easy to make yourself and much cheaper. Like Julie in Austin, I use it all the time.

But mostly, it's just a trend right now. Also, if you buy it, check the ingredients. It's best if it doesn't have other things added to make it thicker. Real "Greek" yogurt should just be strained to make it thicker.

It's really easy to make yourself and much cheaper. Like Julie in Austin, I use it all the time.

But mostly, it's just a trend right now. Also, if you buy it, check the ingredients. It's best if it doesn't have other things added to make it thicker. Real "Greek" yogurt should just be strained to make it thicker.

Would you share your recipe? I've never made any yogurt, but we need to cut back on sugar, so I'm willing to try.

Would you share your recipe? I've never made any yogurt, but we need to cut back on sugar, so I'm willing to try.

Basically, you heat milk (any type, although whole milk is delicious) till it's nearly boiling (be careful because it likes to boil over at this point), then cool it till you can stick your finger in the milk for 20 seconds while stirring. Then stir in a few tablespoons of plain yogurt, either homemade or store-bought, and let it incubate for at least four hours, or till it's set.

It needs to incubate in a warm place. One easy method is to use a crockpot because the insert insulates the milk while it's sitting. But I've also just wrapped up the pot or container of milk with towels and put it in a sunny place. I use a yogurt maker when I live in the US, but that's certainly not necessary. There are lots more ideas for incubation on other threads here.

Put it in the fridge after it's set for at least 4 hours, or better, overnight. It'll be ready then. I nearly always use it unstrained and I like it that way, but if you want it thicker, line a colander with muslin and dump the yogurt in. You can strain for anywhere from 20 minutes to 24 hours hours, depending on how thick you want it. Experiment to find out what you like.

The tartness of the yogurt will depend on many things, some of which you can't really control. We always use our yogurt plain, but you can stir in sugar or fruit or jam or whatever if you want to. Some people sweeten it before, but I've never tried that.

Last week I baked a cake with Greek yogurt. I used a chocolate cake mix, one cup water, and one cup greek yogurt. I only had 1/2 cup of plain, so I added in a strawberry flavored Chobani for the other 1/2 cup. That's it. No eggs, no oil.

It was really good.

I make mine in a crockpot. I heat a quart of milk for 2.5 hours on low, then let it sit for another 3 to cool a bit. Then I scoop out about 2 cups of the warm milk and whisk in a container of plain yogurt (you can use either greek or regular for this or once you've made a homemade batch you can just reserve 1/2 cup of it to use for the next batch) then dump it back into the crockpot and stir. Wrap your crock pot in a thick towel (beach towel works great for this) and either leave it on the counter, or place it in the oven with just the oven light on. Let it sit for at least 8 hours. It will be pretty thin once you mix it back up which is why I then line a colander with coffee filters and strain it until its thicker. You can save the whey from straining it too and use that in muffins, pancakes and other baked goods.

The above will make plain yogurt. My kids don't like it plain because it's to tart for them, so I usually mix 1/2-1 cup of sugar and a tablespoon or 2 of vanilla into the mixture before I wrap it with a towel.

After it's done we just mix it with fruit of our liking to eat.

Thanks all. I tried some this week and it was more tart then regular yogurt but more thick and creamy. I liked it. I was just curious about it because there seems to be more advertising for "greek" yogurt these days.

It is a bit of a fad atm but Greek yogurt is healthier.

People just need to make certain they are purchasing *real* Greek yogurt. Check the ingredients, if it contains cornstarch or other thickeners do not buy it.

Greek yogurt is lower in fat, lactose, carbs and contains more protein than regular yogurt.

Edited by Sis

I just buy plain yogurt (cheap large containter) and 'Greek it' myself... making the original yogurt from milk is not something I'm interested in spending time on, but I can get a good deal on plain yogurt of normal consistancy and save money over buying Greek.

To make plain (thin) yogurt into Greek yogurt:

- Line a collander/strainer with coffee filters.

- Put the collander/strainer into or over a container to catch the liquid.

- Dump the thin yogurt in.

- On the surface of the yogurt, put some plastic wrap or wax paper, then a small plate, and some kind of slightly heavy thing (I use a jar of relish). This presses down on the yogurt gently, causing the liquid to come through the filters.

- Put the whole assembly into your fridge and leave it for a few hours.

The liquid in that will come through the strainer is whey -- some people use it. The remaining yogurt is thicker because it has less whey. You can do it to any degree of thickness you like, even as thick as cream cheese (though it's too tart to be cream cheese). When it's ready, dump it gently and the filters should peel right off. If nessisary, scrape gently with a spatula, but you don't want any paper bits in the final yogurt.

Sweeten and flavour it after you thicken it, not before.

Less sugar, less fat, more protein, creamy texture.

My favorite way to eat is lately is to buy the plain, nonfat kind. I add in about half a little packet of stevia, then top it with raspberries & blackberries (I buy frozen and let them defrost) and a tablespoon or so of chopped walnuts. Absolutely delicious!

Huh, I find it a bit less tart than regular plain yogurt, but I always add stevia. I can't eat plain cultured milk products (unless you count cheese).

But - it's the thick, creamy texture that makes me love it (I get the 0% fat, favorite is Fage)! For breakfast, I add blueberries, pecan bits and stevia; for a treat I add raspberry chocolate liquid stevia and almond slivers. YUM!

It is a bit of a fad atm but Greek yogurt is healthier.

People just need to make certain they are purchasing *real* Greek yogurt. Check the ingredients, if it contains cornstarch or other thickeners do not buy it.

Greek yogurt is lower in fat, lactose, carbs and contains more protein than regular yogurt.

:iagree: You really do have to read the labels of all yogurt. There is so much junk in most of them.

My dd who is lactose intolerant can eat Greek yogurt without any ill effects. So, it is all I buy now. Sam's Club sells the Chobani in 12 packs for just under $12. That is a good buy for around here.

Be careful about brands and read labels to see that you're buying the combination of protein/fat/carbs that you're looking for.

I like the protein. Personally, I prefer regular fat (or low-fat) versions to the zero fat. Carbs are my issue and many brands have *way* too much sugar for me (I don't like fake sweeteners and I don't like plain yogurt; I'd just prefer less sugar than what is usually offered) :tongue_smilie:.

Stupid Costco started only carrying the nonfat so I don't get it there anymore.

You can make the non-fat Greek yoghurt into a delicious creamy fatty one by adding a little bit of heavy cream ;-)

All stores in our town carry only the non-fat version, but a teaspoon full of cream per small cup of yoghurt replaces the fat that had been removed.

Why Greek?

Regular yogurt always seems watery to me. Plain regular yogurt seems tasteless and flavored regular yogurt is far too sweet for me. Also, I use Greek yogurt in cooking and as a substitute for sour cream.

Have you ever tried to make tzatziki with regular yogurt? It's like cucumber soup, even if you do strain it. :D

Two final words: Thicker smoothies.

:iagree: You really do have to read the labels of all yogurt. There is so much junk in most of them.

My dd who is lactose intolerant can eat Greek yogurt without any ill effects. So, it is all I buy now. Sam's Club sells the Chobani in 12 packs for just under $12. That is a good buy for around here.

I was wondering this. I cant have yogurt but i wondered about greek. DH LOVES it but i cant have it.

I like it better than any other yogurt because it's thicker and creamier. Before I dicovered Greek yogurt, I bought Yoplait custard-style yogurt, but Greek yogurt is better. Some have said that it's more tart, but I buy the Greek Gods brand , and to me, it's actually less tart than other types. The plain (regular, not fat free) is even good plain! All other plain yogurt I've ever tried needed fruit or something added to sweeten it and disguise the tartness. I hear Fage is good too, but I haven't tried that yet.

"Real" Greek yogurt is made with sheep milk, and it is different (and way better IMO).

The "Greek style" yogurt (made in Greece, or not) is cows milk yogurt that has some of the whey strained out to make it thicker. It is not traditional Greek sheep milk yogurt.

Any yogurt can be strained (I use clean muslin). Strain it a little and you get "Greek Style" yogurt, strain it a lot and you get a thick (cream cheese like) yogurt-cheese Arabs call Labni.

Just depends what style you like.

Bill