Menu

Skip Cirtical thinking go straight to Intro Logic pros, cons

I don't think the Red Herrings books or Building Thinking Skills or Dandylion Logic books are prerequisites to logic. Although we've done some of that, it wasn't to get them ready for logic. Three of my dc completed Intro to Logic last year and, from what I saw, if your child is doing well with algebra and higher-order thinking (lots of arguing, lots of thinking through issues), then s/he is probably ready for logic. I had a 10th, 8th and 7th grader in Intro to logic last year and the 7th grader did fine.

HTH,

Lisa

We did Fallacy Detective last year. We were pretty informal about it, just doing it once a week. Next spring semester I plan on doing Art of the Argument, but daily. It covers a lot of the the same informal logic that Fallacy Detective does, but in a more structured way, I think. After completing that then we will go into an Intro. logic course.

We did Fallacy Detective last year. We were pretty informal about it, just doing it once a week. Next spring semester I plan on doing Art of the Argument, but daily. It covers a lot of the the same informal logic that Fallacy Detective does, but in a more structured way, I think. After completing that then we will go into an Intro. logic course.

I supposed I am a WTM diehard and was trying to follow it's recommendations, however I know there are many ways to study logic

I agree Cynthia. They will see the fallacies introduced in Fallacy Detective again in Intro to Logic. I read that with my dc and it's a great intro to logic. They also read Thinking Toolbox but . . . I just handed it to them. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet!

Lisa