Menu

Anyone else taking their children with them tomorrow while they vote?

Guest inoubliable

DH and I were planning on taking our youngest with us tomorrow while we vote. We have to go early in the morning and even though DS12 and DS7 will be awake and *could* watch DS5 for a little while, we have no idea how long the line will be first thing in the morning or how long we'll be there. We just figured we'd take him with us to ease our minds.

One of our neighbors remarked, "Oh, that's nice, but you know he won't actually learn anything...". Um. You don't say. It'll be the crack of dawn. I wasn't going to launch into a civics lesson with my five year old at that particular moment...

And another neighbor told me that I was "insane" to take him out that early and in the cold. Uh... he's not very fragile. I fail to understand why I shouldn't take him out early in the morning...

Am I missing something here? Is there some etiquette rule that I'm breaking and these ladies were trying to gently nudge me into doing the right thing? :confused:

That's weird. :001_huh:

Their responses, I mean - not you taking him.

I take my kids with me to vote all the time. All the people manning our polls are usually retired and they give them all a sticker and such - it doesn't take long and I really don't know what else I would do, besides leaving after DH gets off work, then coming back and having him go? Which just seems silly.

So anyway, yeah, I'm taking my kids with me. I'll break the etiquette rule with you. :p :lol:

My ds has always gone with me when I vote, since November 2000 when he was four months old. What else are you supposed to do with them when they are little? :confused:

Actually, he may stay home tomorrow. He's old enough to stay home and has school work to catch up on. But I'll probably leave it up to him.

We voted last Friday, and took everyone with us (except for the gym-kid, who was at the gym). I liked having my 14 yo son over my shoulder, familiarizing himself with the polls. It was great to not have to stand in line and wait, but I've done that before too. It wasn't such a great time, but I don't know why anyone else would be put off from it. People are just weird.

I took my youngest when I did early voting two weeks ago. Eldest has been with me before. She legally becomes an adult next year and has been warned that she is expected to vote while she lives with us - but she is free to vote for her choice . . . :tongue_smilie:

I always take my kids. My 6YO is looking forward to it, he keeps asking, "Mom, are we gonna go vote for the government today?" :D The poll workers always give him a sticker and fuss over him. Go ahead and take your son. It sets a good example for kids to see their parents taking their responsibilities as citizens seriously.

I've never had any problem taking him with me to vote... and I'm pretty sure he really did learn *something* from the process. Maybe not a great big civics lesson in kindergarten or anything, but he learns that his parents think it's important, he sees that we put a lot of thought into who we vote for, and DH and I discuss the complicated issues and bounce our thoughts off each other even though we don't always vote exactly the same. If nothing else, when he's old enough to vote he'll be at least semi-familiar with how it works.

And then we stay up late watching returns. :)

Dd has been with us to every election, including all off year and odd elections since birth. She will be there and will get her I voted sticker. They are great about letting the kids who come have one. She will be able to vote in the next Presidential elections. I can only hope we have instilled in her that it is a duty to vote, not just a privelege.

My children will be coming with me. I was going to take them out of necessity, because DH was supposed to be out of town on business. His plans changed, but they're so excited about going to the polls, that I'm going to take them anyway. I hope none of the election judges give me any trouble, but there was an article in Redbook encouraging just this thing this month, so if they try to harass me, I'll tell them the First Lady told me to do it! ;)

Yes. What you want your kids to do, you do so that they know the protocol.

We take them to the diner, to the restaurant, to the auctions so that they are familiar, and the fear of the unfamiliar doesn't them from not joining. And so they come and vote with me.

I remember voting with my nana. She asked me who I thought would be a good president. I said LIncoln. She thought that would be a great idea. :-D

This is the first time in 12 years I've been able to vote in person and not via absentee.

My sons aren't very happy that I plan to take them, but I told them to suck it up, they are going. It's a Field Trip!

My daughter is pretty interested in coming with.

My oldest told me he doesn't want to come because he doesn't really care about learning about voting because he doesn't plan to vote when he's old enough. My husband told him, "too bad you're going, there are people all over this world that would give their left arm to be able to vote"

I know when he's old enough it will be his choice, but at 13 I just don't think he can really say what he'll feel about voting when he's 21 (the first time there will be a presidential election after he's of age)

We used to take the kids with us every time when we lived in a state that didn't have mail-in voting. I thought it was a great experience and lesson in civic responsibilities. The kids thought it was interesting to see what happened and a chance to visit the local elementary school, which was our polling place.

I say go for it!

Erica in OR

I have always taken my kids with me, because like a few pp's said, you teach by example. It's what my own mother did. She tells the story of how I was about 2 or 3 years old and she asked me to hold onto her leg while she voted. I was very quiet and well behaved, until she looked down and saw that I had made use of the pen hanging on a string right at my level and had drawn many "x's" on the ballet booth wall. I was so proud, looked up at my mom, and said, "Look mom. I boted, too."

Actually, those people the OP talked to must thing I am a terrible teacher, because I actually asked my 2nd grade class to ask their parents to take them voting tomorrow, if at all possible. I think it's a great experience.

I haven't read all the responses.

Mine have been voting with me since they were little. I early-voted on Thursday, and I took them with me. They did well. They asked lots of questions about voting in general, and I let them know that voting is secret, that I don't even have to tell Daddy who I voted for.

I waited 30 mins to vote [i've never waited that long at my regular voting place, but I'm campaigning tomorrow and wanted to have voting out of the way], but I was surprised that there was only one other voter there with kids. Sadly, one of those kids was REALLY unhappy about being there. :( I felt bad for him and for his mom.

But the other voters and the officials were very nice to me and mine [and probably those others too, but they were far enough back in line I didn't see it], and I honestly want them to see the process, not be intimidated by it, and know from an early age how important it is to be informed and vote.