Menu

Are you an extrovert with an introverted mom?

If so, how did that work out for you?

I'm a bit if an introvert and at least one of my children is very, very extroverted. I need space and time to myself during the day and can get overstimulated by people fairly easily, so I find myself feeling really desperate for some peace and quiet and I know it has to be coming through. At least once a day, I come right out and tell her that mommy just needs a break and I ask her to find something to do (besides yapping my ear off and constantly needing my attention--I don't say that part to her). Many times in the car I ave to call for a period of zero talking (I do turn on music), just so I can be in my own world.

I worry about how she perceives this and what effect it might have on our future relationship. I adore her, but she really takes it out of me (well, her along with the toddler and baby, who I can't ask the same favor of).

Yes, that is me. I am sure there were days in my youth my mom would have LOVED for me to just.stop.talking. But, I have to say, I never felt any negativity when she would 'escape' into a book or the other room. :lol: We are as close as a mother and daughter can be as adults. ;)

Regentrude, thanks so much for sharing your experience. I can honestly say that I actually don't have any problems with expressiveness or feelings. I'm very feelingy and actually can be chatty. I just need a lot of time in my own brain, if that makes any sense. I do have a lot of personal space issues. I love to hug and kiss my kids, but dd is super touchy and sometimes I have to ask for my space. Part of me feels bad but part of me also believes that she needs to learn that other people have some stronger boundaries than she does and she needs to respect that.

I'm an extrovert raised by an introvert mother.

Her introversion didn't negatively affect our relationship. She was a single mom, and I was an only child. Maybe the fact that we were away from each other all day (she was at work while I was in daycare and then later on, school) helped. The little time that we did spend together was precious, so I never got the feeling (that I can remember anyway) that she needed a break from me. We have a great relationship. :)