Menu

Sorry, another grammar thread: Hake vs. Kiss vs. Rex?

anabelneri

Hello all!

I've spent several hours reading archives, but I'm still not sure what will work well. I'm sorry for another grammar thread!

Ok, Sweetie is generally strong in verbal skills, but isn't very careful when she writes (like with punctuation, etc.) We've used MCT Island level, some of WWE3, and half of FLL4. I think probably because ALL isn't coming out anytime soon, I started looking for something else besides FLL4 for this year.

This year we're doing part of MCT Town level (Paragraph Town, plus Caesar's English & the poetry book). She seemed to grasp the grammar in Paragraph Town pretty well. Sweetie rejects 4-level analysis vociferously, but didn't mind doing the diagramming in FLL. I also have Killgallon's elementary books and Critical Thinking Co's "Editor in Chief" in the wings, ready to use later in the year. But I wanted to do some grammar too, but I'm not sure what to use.

We have Rex Barks, which I think is in her ability range. But I've been second-guessing it all year, and now that we started it this week I'm extra nervous about it. I've been reading threads about KISS & Hake, and I like that both could last for a while.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

. . .Ok, Sweetie is generally strong in verbal skills, but isn't very careful when she writes (like with punctuation, etc.) . . .

This year we're doing part of MCT Town level (Paragraph Town, plus Caesar's English & the poetry book). She seemed to grasp the grammar in Paragraph Town pretty well. Sweetie rejects 4-level analysis vociferously, but didn't mind doing the diagramming in FLL. I also have Killgallon's elementary books and Critical Thinking Co's "Editor in Chief" in the wings, ready to use later in the year. But I wanted to do some grammar too, but I'm not sure what to use.

We have Rex Barks, which I think is in her ability range. But I've been second-guessing it all year, and now that we started it this week I'm extra nervous about it. I've been reading threads about KISS & Hake, and I like that both could last for a while.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

All the programs you've mentioned are good ones. I think it's just a matter of finding the right combo for your family.

Taking into consideration the information you've given, here is what I would suggest:

1. Stick with MCT. If she doesn't like the 4-level analysis then I would do it with her--no pressure at all. Try to make it enjoyable, or at least less dreadful. ;)

2. Continue with diagramming. She appears to like diagramming better than 4-level analysis, so I would have her do the diagramming by herself as much as possible. (Still encourage and assist as needed, but don't do every sentence with her like you would with MCT.)

You have a couple options for diagramming-- Rex Barks or Hake.

Rex Barks is all diagramming, but Hake includes much more--including mechanics, which from what you've written would be beneficial. For that reason (and others), my vote would be for Hake. Keep in mind you wouldn't need to do all the review Hake offers--it offers a lot!;) Just do the reviews as needed.

3. Continue with WWE

4. Use Killgallon and Editor-in-Chief as fun supplements, or when you just need a break from the others.

5. If money is an issue with purchasing Hake, KISS would be a good option or just continue with Rex Barks.

That's my 2cents. We're comfortable with juggling lots of programs, though. I could streamline if necessary. It really depends on how much time you have to spend on language arts.

Good luck finding something that works for you. All the programs you've mentioned have strengths. :001_smile:

Edited by Hilltop Academy

Thank you! I probably need to take a long, hard look at Hake.

Does Hake cover editing marks, etc. like FLL4 does?

I was just reading TWTM sections on grammar and logic stage grammar, and she doesn't mention Hake. She's very pro-R&S, which I haven't looked at yet.

Thanks again!

Thank you! I probably need to take a long, hard look at Hake.

Does Hake cover editing marks, etc. like FLL4 does?

I was just reading TWTM sections on grammar and logic stage grammar, and she doesn't mention Hake. She's very pro-R&S, which I haven't looked at yet.

Thanks again!

You're welcome! :001_smile:

To my knowledge, Hake doesn't cover editing marks.