Menu

When do you give supplements?

jeninok

DS takes Vyvanse in the morning on school days, this means his tummy can get a little wonky even with a good protein filled breakfast, it also means lunch is hit or miss a lot of days. I hate to overload him with Vyvanse, Allegra and a handful of vitamins first thing and would love some opinions on timing for best results and absorption!

Probiotic with Digestive enzymes

Mega Red Krill oil

Acetyl-l Carnatine 800 mg with 400 Alpha Lipoic Acid

B-complex

And I have CoQ10 I would like to add

Plus melatonin 3mg at night.

The L-Carnatine seems to keep him up.

I have had SamE recommended but haven't looked into it enough yet.

Oh and a couple times a week he ends up taking an Advil or Tylenol. His ankle ligaments and tendons are loose, and it causes him discomfort after active days and especially if growing pains hit the same night.

He is 11, 5'1" and 125 pounds, and growing FAST, his shoulders are broadeningalmost daily it seems, peach fuzz getting more noticeable on his face, and his legs are super hairy.

Probiotic with Digestive enzymes

Mega Red Krill oil

Acetyl-l Carnatine 800 mg with 400 Alpha Lipoic Acid

B-complex

And I have CoQ10 I would like to add

Plus melatonin 3mg at night.

Probiotics with enzymes - best given after the first few bites of a meal, as the enzymes are only active for about 30 min. (after that, they become useless in assisting with digestion)

Krill oil - Omega 3's can cause sleep problems for some people, so best given earlier in the day (we do ours before noon)

B-complex - B vitamins can also cause sleep problems, so give early in the day

Melatonin - we've found that giving Melatonin 1 hour before bedtime works best

Don't have any experience with the other supplements listed.

We spread DS's supplements throughout the day - he takes some with each meal, and then the Melatonin in the evening. You might want to see whether there's any info available for interactions between the various supplements and meds you're giving that might help you decide how to schedule them. For example, one supplement we give DS is fat-soluble and also requires Vitamin E for best absorption - so we give that one together with his cod liver oil (for the "fat") and his Vitamin E capsule. I had to do a bit of research on each of the supplements we give in order to find that info.

HTH!

Vitamins and minerals are nutritional elements, that supplement food.

So that they need to be taken when having a meal, to be absorbed.

For example, the saliva produced when chewing food, contains a myriad of enzymes that are critical for the processing of the spectrum of nutritional elements. To enable absorption into the bloodstream.

Also the elements and enzymes within the food, also react with each other.

But when nutritional elements are supplied in isolation, they very often can't be absorbed.

So that it is important to take supplements with food, to enable their absorption.