Menu

In search of your most delicious and authentic international recipes.

Turkish meatballs (köfte)?

Fried zucchini patties (mücevher)?

lentil soup (mercımek çorbası)?

I could go on forever, but it is 4:30am here. PM me and I'll send a recipe or five - just tell me what you are interested in. (I'm in Turkey.)

I could go on forever, but it is 4:30am here. PM me and I'll send a recipe or five - just tell me what you are interested in. (I'm in Turkey.)

Thanks so much! I PM'ed you.

This link is to many of my favorite recipes from Central Asia.

I cook a lot of international food from all over the world, but nearly all of these are recipes I've worked out myself from living in Central Asia for several years.

Oh, that is perfect! What a great variety. We all love naan (and it is so expensive to buy!). I am super stoked to try it.

There have been more than a few hummus threads on here. I'm bad at searching past threads, but maybe someone with skill can link one. Hummus can be made cheaply and abundantly :-)

Mmmmmm. :drool: I make hummus once a week. I am addicted to hummus. :lol: That said, I could branch out and make it more authentic (not to mention frugal!) by using dried chickpeas. :D

Mmmmmm. :drool: I make hummus once a week. I am addicted to hummus. :lol: That said, I could branch out and make it more authentic (not to mention frugal!) by using dried chickpeas. :D

If you do that, you risk not being able to go back to canned. They're cheaper, healthier, and yummier when cooked from dried! You may even lose your mind and make pita from scratch. :D

I was thinking about starting something like this! I'm looking for some Asian foods... I need some different flavors for veggies - like good stir fry recipes. I want a good peanut sauce (??) I've heard of it but never tried anything like it. I love peanuts... I'm rather American in my cooking, so I don't know if I have anything to share! I'll be :bigear: in on this thread.

And once you make homemade Naan, your family will be begging for it often!

I used to make curry about once per week. I grew up on it once per week at home. I have gotten a bit out of the habbit, but would like to get back to it.

I am not at home at the moment, but I have a More with Less Cookbook and an Extending the Table cookbook, both of which are frugal international cookbooks. I will see what is in there that is easy when I get home.

Dawn

LOL Might as well! I bet it's just a hop, skip, and a jump from homemade naan! :lol:

NO, don't PM! Post them for all of us!

Stamppot

Take mashed potatoes, add sauerkraut, mix up well. Add fried lardons and/or smoked sausage.

Or add steamed chopped up kale to potatoes instead, serve with sausage or gehaktballen/large meatballs.

Or add raw chopped up Belgian endive (the curly kind) instead of kale/sauerkraut.

Vary with pea soup.

Repeat until spring arrives.

Yang Zhou Fried Rice.

You can cut down on the amount of shrimp to make it more frugal if necessary. Make sure to follow the recipe and make each ingredient separately before combining at the end. It makes all the difference.

Perfect! Thanks!

And once you make homemade Naan, your family will be begging for it often!

I used to make curry about once per week. I grew up on it once per week at home. I have gotten a bit out of the habbit, but would like to get back to it.

I am not at home at the moment, but I have a More with Less Cookbook and an Extending the Table cookbook, both of which are frugal international cookbooks. I will see what is in there that is easy when I get home.

Dawn

Oh, thanks! I didn't know More with Less was international. My library has both of these, so I'll be sure to check them out.

Spanakopita and other Greek foods.

Yum! I could go really heavy on Greek food and be very happy.

Stamppot

Take mashed potatoes, add sauerkraut, mix up well. Add fried lardons and/or smoked sausage.

Or add steamed chopped up kale to potatoes instead, serve with sausage or gehaktballen/large meatballs.

Or add raw chopped up Belgian endive (the curly kind) instead of kale/sauerkraut.

Vary with pea soup.

Repeat until spring arrives.

Will definitely try the first, as I know that combo would be a hit. Thanks!

I could branch out and make it more authentic (not to mention frugal!) by using dried chickpeas. :D

Yes, please! Cook the whole bag at once, throw what you don't use into a Ziploc and freeze them. They keep for ages, and you can just take out what you need for hummus.

Terri

NO, don't PM! Post them for all of us!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

OK - I will. But as I told her on PM, DD is being clingy tonight so it will have to be later tonight (it's 6:30pm here) or tomorrow morning. They aren't that difficult.

Yes, please! Cook the whole bag at once, throw what you don't use into a Ziploc and freeze them. They keep for ages, and you can just take out what you need for hummus.

Terri

Hmmm. That makes me want to cook 3 or 4 bags. I have a big freezer. And I really (really, really, really) like hummus. :D

We are Portuguese, so these are all foods I grew up eating:

Malassadas

Kale Soup

Custard Tarts

Sweet Bread

This lists many more.

Oh, nice! (And I was really happy to see that the Sweet Bread recipe was actually bread. :lol:)

Here are some of my favorites:

Easy miso soup

Nigerian chicken suya

The best Chinese broccoli beef

Tamagoyaki (Japanese rolled omelet)

I love to make Japanese, Chinese, and Korean food. I am hoping to learn some Thai food next. My favorite websites for recipes are:

Steamy Kitchen

Rasa Malaysia

Wendi

Thanks! My kids are going to love that suya and the broccoli beef will be a hit with everyone here! We will definitely try the miso soup too...heard all about that but have never had it. Great sites!

Oh, thanks! I didn't know More with Less was international. My library has both of these, so I'll be sure to check them out.

I can't read that book after finding the story in there about the neighbor who was starving her child out of poverty. I just bawled and bawled.