Menu

If your school uses Everyday Math what do you use to supplement?

My son's school uses Everyday Math. He is only in kinder so I will have to see how it goes. We are supplementing with Singapore Math (SM) and making sure to include drill because there is very little drill in Everyday Math, unless the teacher supplements. Since Everyday Math is so spiral, I think SM is a great match because it focuses on mastery.

What grade is your child(ren) in?

I asked a similar question on this board a month or two ago. At the time we were using Life of Fred and Rosie's educationunboxed.com videos for math (c-rods). It was suggested we add in Singapore, which we did and DD loves it. I can not get her to put down the workbook once she starts. I like it even though I am not overly found of workbooks in general.

I really like introducing the concepts with the c-rods and games (educationunboxed.com) and, as an afterschooler, I like that this hands-on "fun" option is available to us when the kids are wiggly. The C-rods are something my preschooler and K'er can both do. Singapore works better on days when the kids are quieter and DD is in a study mood. I do feel like Singapore will catch any gaps and it gets DD to practice putting her pen to paper to do math.

Edited by Winter

We use Math Mammoth, and DD has enjoyed it. She really likes workbooks as a rule, so it is a good fit for her.

Since it's afterschooling and a supplement for us, I let her use some of the worksheets to "teach" her classes when she plays school. It's good practice for her and makes it more fun.

We've started with MEP math, to be honest, mostly because it is free. I've been researching more and wondering if another curriculum might be a better compliment.

I'm drawn to Singapore math, but I'm still not sure...

My son is doing Everyday Math in kinder. He does SM1 at home for his primary math program. I also give him MEP for the puzzles and inequalities, Japanese Math because he loves visually how the pages are set up with cute drawings, and Miquon with C-rods. I love math and it is fun to switch around. MEP is good but it is spiral like EM, so I wanted a mastery program. Miquon would work well as a fun math supplement with one in k and one in 1. Search

Miquon and look for posts by Spycar (he's the most enthusiastic cheerleader here for Miquon). Then search for Rosie's unboxed Cusinaire rods videos. They are fantastic.