Menu

Feeling stuck...

LisaKinVA

I've been reading through the "How long will you homeschool?" thread... and I can't help it, I feel stuck.

We used to say that we'd take each year as it comes. I don't even see that as an option anymore. I don't feel like we really have a choice. We have to homeschool.

I've been pouring over the local PS website, course offerings, plans, etc. -- trying to decide if it's even worth calling the school counselor to ask more detailed questions. In the past...educational plans at the local schools have been very rigid and unaccommodating. Moreover, simply because a class is "offered" does not mean it will actually be taught (if a minimum number of students don't sign up for a class, it's dropped from your child's schedule... this happens with many AP-level classes).

My son has one more year before high school, the cost of continuing to homeschool him is daunting. The closest charter school he could attend would require driving 60 miles one way, and leaving home at 5am (due to traffic). We don't have any public on-line charters for high school. There are no "agreements" for community college programs. It's either high school or home school. And, if I can't make it work for my 13yo, there is no chance at all for my 10.5yo (the driven one...).

I just feel so...stuck...and panicked about money.

My son has one more year before high school, the cost of continuing to homeschool him is daunting. .

I am sorry you feel this way, but I am not exactly sure what costs you are referring to. I do not find homeschooling high school to be extremely expensive:

I use introductory college texts for science which, if you choose an older edition and not the current one, can be purchased very inexpensively for just a few $. There are many free online courses available that can be great resources for a strong high school student.

For literature and history, I use mostly normal books, with one cheap old history text. We supplement with Teaching Company courses that I buy when they are deeply discounted, or get used from amazon, and some people have luck with their library.

The most expensive item I have bought was a lab kit for chemistry for $ 200 which will be sufficient for both of my students (and there are slightly cheaper options).

Foreign language can become expensive if you aim for fluency and need the assistance of a native speaker, but a simple high school level language can be put together for under $70 for a three year course (I just bought Italian for DS: text, workbook, lab manual and audio CDs. Many courses have companion websites with all the audio and video files; DD's French course's website had a $50/year subscription fee)

Let me know if you need specific suggestions for certain subjects, I'll be happy to share my resource list.

There are plenty of reasons why homeschooling high school can seem daunting, but I do not think cost has to be one of them.

Edited by regentrude

Thanks, regentrude. My younger daughter is a very self-motivated, driven student. Someone who has taken ownership of her education, and is working hard toward a goal. She will probably do fine with less structured courses, like those you suggest.

My older son, however, does not do well without courses that are solidly structured/planned, with a great deal of oversight. Many of the courses I can get "cheap" -- would require more of me than I can really invest on a daily level. I also have a 9yo, a 6yo and a 3.5yo that require attention as well...and I'm supposed to be working from home, too.

He takes after his father in the way he reads and studies. He is not a "fast reader." He will be reading, come across something that sparks a thought tangent, and soon be lost in thought figuring out something completely unrelated to what he's supposed to be studying. 90% of the questions he asks me throughout the day are completely unrelated to what he's reading/studying. Add that to his natural inclinations towards procrastination, and it takes most of my energy to keep him on track (he's not ADD, got the testing already...)

So, while DS is definitely a capable student, I wouldn't call him a strong student, because of his lack of focus and drive...does that make any sense?

If it were not for having him signed up for the on-line classes for history and Latin, they wouldn't be done. We just went through the Omnibus section for one of the Chronicles of Narnia books. It took him 3 weeks to complete it, and he's read the book twice before. It took him 2 weeks to read The Hunger Games (comparatively, 10.5yo dd read it over a weekend...she can give you the same amount of detail DS can...she takes after me, DS takes after DH). I still have to put 13yo DS to work with a timer. DD, 10.5, just goes (although she really misses the interactive Latin class, the scholars online format of chat just doesn't work for her.)

Edited by LisaK in VA

My older son, however, does not do well without courses that are solidly structured/planned, with a great deal of oversight. Many of the courses I can get "cheap" -- would require more of me than I can really invest on a daily level.

If the course is structured with online lectures, reading assignments, writing/problem assignments, would he not be able to follow a schedule? (Because there are plenty of courses that are laid out completely). Is it that he has to be signed up and responsible to an outside teacher?

Just trying to understand.

If the course is structured with online lectures, reading assignments, writing/problem assignments, would he not be able to follow a schedule? (Because there are plenty of courses that are laid out completely). Is it that he has to be signed up and responsible to an outside teacher?

Just trying to understand.

Yes, he can follow a schedule. The only other issue I've run into is not having keys/solution guides from the teacher aspect (so that I can correct fairly easily, without having to pre-read or figure out problems).

I'm looking at CK12 for an engineering course, and potentially some science. They've changed their site somewhat, I can't find the same resources I had before, when I planned out Biology).

I own AoPS through Geometry (which he is now using) and Fred through Trig (he enjoys the stories, but has difficulty pulling the lesson out of it...). So math (Alg. 2, Trig, Calculus and Statistics) is needed. We have the spherical Trig, which he'll take at home. Science...I have through Biology, but will need Chemistry, Physics, and then college level courses in Chemistry and Physics.

I'm not accelerating his History...and I'm pretty well set on his English progression.

With DD, she'll be taking Biology next year, then Marine Biology (planning on Apologia for that one), then Chem and Physics, followed by college level Biology, Chemistry and hopefully another Marine Biology class. I'm having trouble with that one, but keep hoping something will open up. Her math progression will be Algebra 1, then Algebra 1/Geometry/Algebra 2, Trig/Pre-Calc, Calc, Statistics...and I'm hoping more Algebra for her (she wants to study Marine Biology at either Duke or UC SB...)

If I can get through these two, the rest will probably generally follow the same paths for Science/Math, although I'm hoping one of my kids will fall in love with humanities. ;)

I've been reading through the "How long will you homeschool?" thread... and I can't help it, I feel stuck.

We used to say that we'd take each year as it comes. I don't even see that as an option anymore. I don't feel like we really have a choice. We have to homeschool.

I've been pouring over the local PS website, course offerings, plans, etc. -- trying to decide if it's even worth calling the school counselor to ask more detailed questions. In the past...educational plans at the local schools have been very rigid and unaccommodating. Moreover, simply because a class is "offered" does not mean it will actually be taught (if a minimum number of students don't sign up for a class, it's dropped from your child's schedule... this happens with many AP-level classes).

My son has one more year before high school, the cost of continuing to homeschool him is daunting. The closest charter school he could attend would require driving 60 miles one way, and leaving home at 5am (due to traffic). We don't have any public on-line charters for high school. There are no "agreements" for community college programs. It's either high school or home school. And, if I can't make it work for my 13yo, there is no chance at all for my 10.5yo (the driven one...).

I just feel so...stuck...and panicked about money.

Lisa, VA does have online public high schools. Have you investigated these as options?

http://www.virtualvirginia.org/faqs/index.html

http://www.onlinehighschool.org/Virginia_Online_High_Schools.html

(I'm not overly familiar w/them. When my dd was living at the ice skating rink, there were other skaters there that used the public school high school online for academics (they did not consider themselves homeschoolers at all. They were originally ps students and needed more flexibility for ice time.)

I'm sorry you are feeling trapped. Also, local universities may be an option. My ds is loving going to the local university.

Lisa, VA does have online public high schools. Have you investigated these as options?

http://www.virtualvirginia.org/faqs/index.html

http://www.onlinehighschool.org/Virginia_Online_High_Schools.html

(I'm not overly familiar w/them. When my dd was living at the ice skating rink, there were other skaters there that used the public school high school online for academics (they did not consider themselves homeschoolers at all. They were originally ps students and needed more flexibility for ice time.)

I'm sorry you are feeling trapped. Also, local universities may be an option. My ds is loving going to the local university.

Thank you for the information. Virtual Virginia isn't a full high school, they offer *some* courses, mainly AP, and *some* options for middle schoolers (mainly foreign language). They might be an option for enrolling in the regular high school and having DS complete courses on-line if they are cancelled...but no guarantee. I e-mailed them (response was a one-liner, essentially saying what I typed out above) to see what options (if any) we have (assuming DS can pass whatever tests would be required). The Virtual VA classes are open to home schoolers for $500 a class, as long as they aren't full. The other online options range from about $3000/yr (Liberty, which is Alpha/Omega...SOS repackaged, except for a few classes they allow students to take through their on-line college, not sure if there is an extra fee for those) to $6000+ for K12 (depending if you are using the Icademy or one of the other schools that uses K12).

Germana is an option once DS is 16...however, the state will only cover the costs if he's enrolled as a public school student, and only for certain courses, assuming they are available. If DS uses the CC option as a homeschooler, all of the costs are ours. The credits would count toward high school graduation, as most would not transfer to the schools he is looking at attending (DS would be fine in normal, advanced coursework for English and Gov't/History/Foreign Language...but not for math and science. Assuming he has no issues in Algebra 2 next year (which isn't even available through the middle school, he would have to back up and take Advanced Geometry again), he would complete all available math at the high school and the virtual high school his sophomore year. Science (the classes he's interested in taking), would be completed his junior year...as he has zero interest in environmental science or AP Biology.

This is all assuming the only options are those that are listed. I've emailed questions to the school counselor to try to determine what, if any, public school options we have, and what they might look like. I know they will not take my word for anything (especially when it comes to advanced placement options), so DS would *have* to pass the tests. The good things about the public option would be lower costs (for us), and DS would be forced to really stick to a schedule, and have to sink or swim completely on his own. Downsides, is that they *really* teach to the tests (SOL tests every year, every grade). Having met some of these kids, they really lack good understanding, it's mostly plug and chug. They cannot reason through word problems at. all. DS also lacks a bit of discernment (who friends are, when kids are being sarcastic, how to tell when someone doesn't like you types of situations...he's already known as the "nerd" in his BS troop, and that could be an issue if there aren't enough kids like him.) He's a good kid, and well liked by most...but there are always those who would set out to make his life miserable, if they can (in scouts there are two...).

Thank you, guys. This has helped me dig a bit deeper into what is available...PS might wind up being okay for my oldest...and allow him to graduate on-time with a reasonable educational resume. They would want to skip DD probably 2 full grades, which would mean she'd graduate as a newly minted 16yo...that thought doesn't thrill me I'm fine with her finishing high school coursework...just not heading off to college ;)) Keep sending me ideas...especially cheap ways to keep him home, if I can :lol:.

So...I sent a pretty detailed email with questions to the counselor at the local high school.

Including: Assuming my son has successfully completed High School Biology & Chemistry, and Algebra 1, 2 and Geometry prior to the 9th grade, could you please tell me what his projected course of study would be, if on-line courses or CC courses are available, knowing that he has a goal of attending MIT? And, I understand that MVHS would probably require some sort of testing to prove mastery of the material in these courses...what testing would that be (such as SOL, SAT Subject Exams, placement tests at the school, or other)? Would it be better for my son to complete the 8th grade at the local middle school, or should we plan to complete 8th grade at home?

Her reply:

After reading your email, my initial question would be do you live in the MVHS school zone? If so, when the time comes, we could surely register your son for the classes he is eligible to take. If you do not live in the MVHS zone, then you would need to fill out a transfer application when the time arises.

If you have other questions, please let me know.

Because, yeah, after reading through all of the information provided, and the questions, the most important information is if my kid is actually in your school zone. :lol:

The response is priceless- I have gotten similar things from schools over the years. I too felt stuck because I wasn't a mom who wanted to homeschool. I felt forced and I still feel forced. But, it has grown on me. My ds 13 takes a few classes at the high school (no easy task to get him accelerated several grades for a few classes) and we homeschool the rest. My 2 dd homeschool 100%. I like the freedom and control. I get tired of all the effort though. However, it is still less effort than it was to try and get modificaions at a school that was barely keeping its budget afloat and only willing to work with those who has low test scores.

Hang in there! :grouphug:

High school doesn't have to be expensive, especially for your younger, driven dd. I've bought some great books recommended on the high school forum for a song or reasonable price on Amazon, etc, or at used curricula sales. I supplemented LOF Geometry with a used text recommended to me by one of the math "gurus" on the high school forum. You can get a lot of information about how to homeschool high school inexpensively there. Or you can put one in ps & homeschool the other.

Because, yeah, after reading through all of the information provided, and the questions, the most important information is if my kid is actually in your school zone. :lol:

:001_smile: Actually, she answered your question with one she has to ask, so if you invert the order you can see that she said that you can enroll him in courses he's qualified for if he lives in the right school zone. There is a big problem with dc trying to enroll in schools in the wrong district or zone, and then there isn't money to pay for their education, etc, etc.--she could get in a lot of trouble if she didn't put that stipulation first. Of course, getting him in the courses may be involved, and that is usually handled by the guidance counselors.When I transferred my eldest during her sophomore year I had to write the chapter titles dd had covered in Chem her freshman year for one thing (to show the science dept to see if she'd covered what is required by our state DOE), & then there were placement tests for honours classes. Once my middle one place into Hon Math & English, she was able to sign up for all honours classes (but that was at the high school entry level.)

High school doesn't have to be expensive, especially for your younger, driven dd. I've bought some great books recommended on the high school forum for a song or reasonable price on Amazon, etc, or at used curricula sales. I supplemented LOF Geometry with a used text recommended to me by one of the math "gurus" on the high school forum. You can get a lot of information about how to homeschool high school inexpensively there. Or you can put one in ps & homeschool the other.

:001_smile: Actually, she answered your question with one she has to ask, so if you invert the order you can see that she said that you can enroll him in courses he's qualified for if he lives in the right school zone. There is a big problem with dc trying to enroll in schools in the wrong district or zone, and then there isn't money to pay for their education, etc, etc.--she could get in a lot of trouble if she didn't put that stipulation first. Of course, getting him in the courses may be involved, and that is usually handled by the guidance counselors.When I transferred my eldest during her sophomore year I had to write the chapter titles dd had covered in Chem her freshman year for one thing (to show the science dept to see if she'd covered what is required by our state DOE), & then there were placement tests for honours classes. Once my middle one place into Hon Math & English, she was able to sign up for all honours classes (but that was at the high school entry level.)

Based upon my own experience, I'm not going to accept a "enroll your child in the courses he's qualified for" to mean that if he's passed Algebra 2 as an 8th grader, to mean the same thing as he'll be enrolled in Trig/Pre-Calc, or be able to take Honors Physics as a 9th grader.

I do understand the question regarding my district, but none of my questions regarding testing (type of test, what is involved, etc.) were answered, nor anything about online courses or early college being available as an option, either. I've been "enrolled in the courses" I was qualified for, and what that meant, is being a 7th grader, I was "qualified" for the 7th grade math course...period, because that is all they had for 7th graders.

If there are exclusions (such as a child *must* be enrolled as either a junior or a senior to take an AP course), the Guidance Counselor needs to be up front with me about that...because he would be technically "ready" for AP courses in 10th grade (Latin, Science and Math, he'd really be ready for AP humanities as well, but I don't feel a need to push that with him). I should also be aware if they intend for him to have to take Calculus AB *and* BC, because there is no other path available (my understanding is that BC really covers all of AB, plus a few advanced topics, and many advanced math students find it a waste of time... I don't know if it would be a waste for DS#1 at this point, but I'd still like to know what his plan would look like).

This isn't to say we couldn't go that route, even with the limitations, I just feel it's in our best interest to know what the limitations are up front, not after we register him and start him on his way, and then be told "oops! Sorry, that's not available, and then have to pull him out and try to cobble something together on the fly...

Based upon my own experience, I'm not going to accept a "enroll your child in the courses he's qualified for" to mean that if he's passed Algebra 2 as an 8th grader, to mean the same thing as he'll be enrolled in Trig/Pre-Calc, or be able to take Honors Physics as a 9th grader.

I do understand the question regarding my district, but none of my questions regarding testing (type of test, what is involved, etc.) were answered, nor anything about online courses or early college being available as an option, either. I've been "enrolled in the courses" I was qualified for, and what that meant, is being a 7th grader, I was "qualified" for the 7th grade math course...period, because that is all they had for 7th graders.

If there are exclusions (such as a child *must* be enrolled as either a junior or a senior to take an AP course), the Guidance Counselor needs to be up front with me about that...because he would be technically "ready" for AP courses in 10th grade (Latin, Science and Math, he'd really be ready for AP humanities as well, but I don't feel a need to push that with him). I should also be aware if they intend for him to have to take Calculus AB *and* BC, because there is no other path available (my understanding is that BC really covers all of AB, plus a few advanced topics, and many advanced math students find it a waste of time... I don't know if it would be a waste for DS#1 at this point, but I'd still like to know what his plan would look like).

This isn't to say we couldn't go that route, even with the limitations, I just feel it's in our best interest to know what the limitations are up front, not after we register him and start him on his way, and then be told "oops! Sorry, that's not available, and then have to pull him out and try to cobble something together on the fly...

:iagree: Getting a straight answer can be very difficult, but they're always going to put the "in our school district or zone" first. Do you know what their policy is on accellerating students ahead of their age peers? If it's never done, it probably won't work for you, but if it is, there is a better chance that it will. Testing may be department specific.

I have had my share of headaches, too, and I loathe public school, but my dd's want to be there. One problem that at first didn't seem important was that I found out that the public hs here has A+s that get a higher than 4 and I was told by the head of guidance that I didn't need to change dd's grades to match her percentages because it didn't matter as colleges convert to a 4.0. It was her guidance counsellor's first time taking a homeschool transfer student. Of course it made a big difference for her, and thankfully her ps grades matched & her guidance counsellor is very good so we got them changed before they calculated the class rankings(not my dd's fault). At dd's level, it makes a huge difference in the percentage of her graduating class she is in as it goes up very gradually in the top 10 percent, which makes a difference in application based scholarships, etc. That may sound minor, but it could mean the difference of thousands of dollars or even tens of thousands of dollars per year. Without them she'd have been in the top 5 percent, perhaps 4 percent, but with them she's in the top 3 percent, and she earned those percentages--and I didn't call any of them honours classes, so they're not ranked as highly as the ps honours classes (weighted system), or she'd be even higher, but I feel that calling homeschool classes honours is meaningless to colleges as they can mean different things to different parents.

Edited by Karin

but I feel that calling homeschool classes honours is meaningless to colleges as they can mean different things to different parents.

:iagree:

Interestingly enough when I signed up DS for "Honors Science" at the local school, I found out that the honors course was EXACTLY the same as the regular class, but it was called that because (per the school) it "lumped all the smart kids together for more intelligent conversation" Seriously- a weighted grade based on that?

I think the guidance counselors get a lot of parents shopping for schools so they have to ask the question. It still doesn't answer anything real.

Do you know what their policy is on accellerating students ahead of their age peers?.

In the elementary school, it doesn't happen. In 6th grade, kids are placed into Basic Math, Pre-Algebra A or Pre-Algebra B (the Pre-Algebra B kids will then take Algebra 1 in 7th and Geometry in 8th). Advanced students (based upon math) will take General Science, Life Science and Earth Science, starting biology their 9th grade year.

Beyond that, you have Core and Honors courses in the humanities, and foreign language offerings, a smattering of electives.

In high school, driven, capable, strong students can usually get into Governor's school (this is not a good fit, for asynchronous kids, or kids who can't handle the extra-heavy schedule). There is an IB program and APs. Some schools participate with Virtual VA (on-line advanced courses that may not be available), and there may be an "early college" program with Germana (some of the questions I was asking were related to Virtual VA, early college, etc.)

So, by middle school, they are allowing for some acceleration, and in high school, there is more, but depending upon the school district and the community college how far that acceleration can go is the question. Fairfax County, for example, is much more accommodating than others. They have allowed home school students to attend part-time...even for one class, like band. And CC credit from our local college will not transfer to other state colleges as anything other than elective credit (with a possible exception of non-major subjects).

I would probably reply to the counselor's question about being in-district, and ask all of the important questions again (cut-and-paste, no additional effort on my part). If I still got the run-around, if I felt like the school was the best option I might point out the run-around, or I might ask who I could write to to get my questions answered, but ask again. If I felt like I had other options I might give up at that point.

When my BIL was in high school we learned the hard way that the priority at his (high rated) high school was on his attendance, not on his education. I totally understand the trapped feeling -- that's how we felt around his education that year. I truly hope that in the end the high school displays a priority on your son's education.

Good luck!

I would probably reply to the counselor's question about being in-district, and ask all of the important questions again (cut-and-paste, no additional effort on my part). If I still got the run-around, if I felt like the school was the best option I might point out the run-around, or I might ask who I could write to to get my questions answered, but ask again. If I felt like I had other options I might give up at that point.

When my BIL was in high school we learned the hard way that the priority at his (high rated) high school was on his attendance, not on his education. I totally understand the trapped feeling -- that's how we felt around his education that year. I truly hope that in the end the high school displays a priority on your son's education.

Good luck!

I did reply with a direct answer to her question, immediately, and then re-asked the questions again. She has yet to reply back. I can be somewhat patient, as I'm guessing they don't get questions like this often, so it may take some time to track down the correct answers (I'd rather her take her time and get me the correct answers than spout what she *thinks* the answer is). However, it isn't uncommon around here to have home schooled kids join the high school crowd, so there should be something.

I'd also like for my son to go to school for a couple of days to see what it's like, but that's a question for another day/time.

Another option is dual enrollment throuh University of Mary Washington. The expenses would be yours, but the likelihood of transferable credit increases (and hopefully more challenging experience than at a CC) From their website:

Admission BEFORE High School Graduation

On occasion, the University allows students with exceptional ability to enroll prior to graduating from high school. Three arrangements cover most circumstances: admission to the summer session; admission to part-time study during the regular session; or admission after the junior year. Details are available from the Office of Admissions or the Office of Academic Services.

This is similar to what our 11th grade ds is doing. He is taking multivariable cal and uni physics. It is expensive, but we are hoping that ultimately we will re-coup our expenses by it making him more competitive for merit scholarships.

:iagree:

Interestingly enough when I signed up DS for "Honors Science" at the local school, I found out that the honors course was EXACTLY the same as the regular class, but it was called that because (per the school) it "lumped all the smart kids together for more intelligent conversation" Seriously- a weighted grade based on that?

I think the guidance counselors get a lot of parents shopping for schools so they have to ask the question. It still doesn't answer anything real.

Here there is a difference between honours & regular. What I'm happy about for my middle one is that they have too many dc in honours (ie not all really belong there) so they are improving things (they don't have enough honours class texts, for one thing.) Her science teacher told me that because of this she's making things more challenging to "separate the men from the boys" & that dd is one of the "men." They have a very large freshman class, too. I'm quite sure that they're doing this in history as well. Competition can only help the program, because an honours class should mean something, but it doesn't always.

In the elementary school, it doesn't happen. In 6th grade, kids are placed into Basic Math, Pre-Algebra A or Pre-Algebra B (the Pre-Algebra B kids will then take Algebra 1 in 7th and Geometry in 8th). Advanced students (based upon math) will take General Science, Life Science and Earth Science, starting biology their 9th grade year.

Beyond that, you have Core and Honors courses in the humanities, and foreign language offerings, a smattering of electives.

In high school, driven, capable, strong students can usually get into Governor's school (this is not a good fit, for asynchronous kids, or kids who can't handle the extra-heavy schedule). There is an IB program and APs. Some schools participate with Virtual VA (on-line advanced courses that may not be available), and there may be an "early college" program with Germana (some of the questions I was asking were related to Virtual VA, early college, etc.)

So, by middle school, they are allowing for some acceleration, and in high school, there is more, but depending upon the school district and the community college how far that acceleration can go is the question. Fairfax County, for example, is much more accommodating than others. They have allowed home school students to attend part-time...even for one class, like band. And CC credit from our local college will not transfer to other state colleges as anything other than elective credit (with a possible exception of non-major subjects).

Good, at least there is some, so it sounds like this is worth pursuing for you

I heard back from the counselor. She didn't answer all of my questions (regarding limitations on AP courses, based on age/grade, early college participation, etc.) She was able to tell me that our son could transfer up to 11 high school credits, as long as he passed either the course final OR the VA SOL test.

This means that DS would not need to attend 8th grade at the middle school (yay), and also means I have another year to work through the decision. This is a big emotional issue for me too (13yo DS does NOT want to attend the high school...) It also means, assuming he passes the SOL/final exams, he would start high school with three math credits, two foreign language credits, and two science credits.

Dealing with the potential familial response on my end is my next big challenge (my side of the family is *extremely* anti-public school (and that may be understating it).

QUESTION: Does anyone know how I could find out how our local high school is viewed by colleges academically? I'm going to google and see what I can find, but if you have any experience with this, I'd appreciate your insight/help!

Well...I found the information I was looking for. It scores a 32.7 on the college readiness scale (USNWR). About 41% of the students are in the IB program, and about 30% pass the IB test. I guess that says they offer some good courses, but the kids aren't necessarily learning what they need to in them (unless I'm reading this wrong). All of the top-10 high schools in VA are in (or close to) Fairfax county.

Or...am I reading this information wrong?

Lots of good suggestions here.

One more thought - I would talk with your friends who have kids in this public school and find out how much it is costing them. What I hear again and again from homeschooling friends who send kids to public school is that they are surprised by how much it costs (for various activity fees, book fees, class trips, etc. etc. etc.)

I heard back from the counselor. She didn't answer all of my questions (regarding limitations on AP courses, based on age/grade, early college participation, etc.) She was able to tell me that our son could transfer up to 11 high school credits, as long as he passed either the course final OR the VA SOL test.

This means that DS would not need to attend 8th grade at the middle school (yay), and also means I have another year to work through the decision. This is a big emotional issue for me too (13yo DS does NOT want to attend the high school...) It also means, assuming he passes the SOL/final exams, he would start high school with three math credits, two foreign language credits, and two science credits.

Dealing with the potential familial response on my end is my next big challenge (my side of the family is *extremely* anti-public school (and that may be understating it).

QUESTION: Does anyone know how I could find out how our local high school is viewed by colleges academically? I'm going to google and see what I can find, but if you have any experience with this, I'd appreciate your insight/help!

Well...I found the information I was looking for. It scores a 32.7 on the college readiness scale (USNWR). About 41% of the students are in the IB program, and about 30% pass the IB test. I guess that says they offer some good courses, but the kids aren't necessarily learning what they need to in them (unless I'm reading this wrong). All of the top-10 high schools in VA are in (or close to) Fairfax county.

Or...am I reading this information wrong?

Those are two good things. I checked our high school and, while the honours and AP classes are very strong and there are students who get into Ivies & top schools every year, we didn't score as high due the the lower percentages of kids in them, general test scores, etc. That makes sense given the population here (the types of jobs, education level, etc, that the majority of parents have & that so many with a lot of money send their kids to parochial school based on the myth that the ps is a very rough place to be (once upon a time it was, but with two full time police officers plus a security team, those days are long gone--this isn't a high crime town, either.)

The information for our school is fairly out of date, however, given that there are more grades there now, that test scores have improved, etc, but we're never going to get a 38 as we're never going to get that large of a group in AP classes, etc.