Menu

Want to homeschool, but

momto2

I am currently afterschooling my DS who is in 3rd grade. He recently announced that he wants to be homeschooled. I would love to homeschool him, but have one big issue that is stopping me and DH from doing ahead.

We are first generation south Asian family living in USA now. Our English is not good at all. We speak basic English with an accent. We also don't use fancy vocabulary, just the basics for communication. So I am not really confident in myself. I don't think home will provide a enriched environment for learning English the correct way. So I am so confused.

Is there anyone in my situation who have come up with some creative solution for this problem.

I have a friend who is homeschooling her 2 DD and she is from Russia. Despite her difficulty in speaking English well, she still manages to homeschool. I can't say what she is doing exactly to help but I imagine the curriculum she uses and her desire to homeschool her daughters allows them to thrive. The benefit she sees is that she is learning English along with them too. So don't allow your limited use of English to hold you back. I'm sure there is a lot of great programs out there that will make it easy for you to teach. :001_smile:

I think it depends on your resources and your state. In my state, if English is spoken as a second language, the parents must show that they are addressing the issue of language acquisition. So, depending on your state you might have to officially address the issue in your homeschool. It might involve using something like Mango languages (available for free from many public libraries) to practice English.

I live in a community with a large Asian community. I see the kids are involved in lots of outside activities that involve communication, such as theater/drama classes and choir. A neighbor is an ESL instructor and she does quite a lot of private tutoring of Asian children and sometimes entire families.

So, if you live in a state with ESL requirements in the public school, you might talk to an instructor and see if s/he is available for private tutoring. And, if you can afford it, get the kids involved in activities that involve lots of speaking in English.

I think the BBC also has online ESL programs.

If you used a strong English program which includes lots of repetition and oral drill - you can all learn together. My grammar background was very weak, and I have learned English grammar along with the kids. Rod and Staff English is a great program. We've been using it for many years.

I love the idea of books on tape. I think reading aloud is a wonderful way to build vocabulary.

Perhaps there is a local co-op you could join, too, that would give you opportunities to grow in your English.

There will always be weak spots in our abilities - I'm sure you have strengths in other areas that round out the weaker parts. (for ex - you could have a bilingual homeschool!) Also, your desire to be with your kids and learn with them goes a long way. :)

Edited by sandra in va

I wouldn't let that stop you! The suggestions on here were great. Maybe joining a homeschool group would give the added bonus of being able to practice with other kids (and for you moms). But I agree, you'll learn together as a family. And using audios will help clarify pronunciation.

Audio Books would be a wonderful idea! I really dislike reading aloud myself, so we have a steady stream of classic audio books going in the car. It could really help you too!

Story of the World is also available as an audio book. I like to listen to it a couple times with the kids in the car, and then when I am comfortable with the pronunciation of things, I can read it aloud and we answer the questions together.

See if your library has the pimsleur CD's- you could start at a higher level. I like that they can be used in the car, or while I am doing dishes, or whatever.... they break down pronunciation really well. (I am an American in germane and use them for my pitiful German)

Have you considered audio books? That should help you build vocabulary.

:iagree:

You library probably has CD and downloadable audiobooks. You can check out books that match the audios. You can certainly learn a lot of English by merely listening to quality audios. Reading along in a matching book is even better, because you see the words while hearing them.

You still need to practice speaking, but school provides little chance for a child to be taught to speak while there. Whether in school or out of school, you face the same challenges to provide this enrichment. Some families are able to provide it and some are not.

Climbing to Good English is an English curriculum that was written for Amish students that do not speak English at home. The teachers are often teenaged girls with an 8th grade education. I recommend this series. It is a rigorous program. I recommend starting most students lower in the curriculum than their grade. I tutor adults that are ESL and with learning disabilities and at least skim through parts of grade 2, before starting just about everyone in grade 3. Grade 5 is a heavy book to get through. Plan on it taking longer than a year. Finishing grade 5 by the end of grade 8 is an appropriate goal for many families and is enough preparation for a 9th curriculum that is comparable to a public school curriculum. Finishing grade 5 is not enough for some private school 9th grade curricula, though.

I wouldn't let the English be the only deciding factor in choosing whether to homeschool or not. All homeschooling families have a weakness of some sort. We have to look at the big picture and weigh all our strengths and weaknesses against the strengths and weaknesses of OUR local public school. Not all public schools are equal in general quality and adaptability to individual student needs.

If your typing is a reflection of how much English you know I would say you are doing pretty well! The truth is that your child will learn the language he has the most exposure to and in the US that will be English. I like all of the suggestions that the previous posters mentioned. You can do it!

All the suggestions above sound excellent.

If your son is writing compositions, you might post them on the writing workshop forum here so that others might pick up errors that you might not catch. Also, getting the teacher books or answer keys to whatever you might choose for grammar would be a good idea.

I like audio books even though I don't have particular difficulties with English, and highly recommend them both to read along with and just to play while doing other things. DVD's can also be helpful, including with things like dramatizations of Charles Dickens novels and so on. Some libraries have good collections.

I just listened to some Mango (for Spanish and Chinese, but they also have ESL) online and thought it was good.

If I had someone who could give my ds (or me too) lessons in an Asian language, I'd happily trade for lessons in English. Maybe something like that would be possible for you where you live.

Some places have an organization called "Toast masters" which has to do with public speaking. That might be helpful for either you or your son. It is usually for adults, but I have heard that in some places children also can participate.

Sometime theater voice teachers can be helpful with things like pronunciation, just as English (ESL) teachers can be.

Any activity you find that involves socializing with a variety of people who speak excellent English (or even one best friend) will give a huge amount of English practice.

I pay someone to come speak Spanish with my children once a week. Maybe you could find someone to do a "literature" study with your child occasionally. They could each read part of a book, discuss it, explore vocabulary, read aloud to each other, talk about grammar, memorize parts, whatever you thought would be helpful. It could be a local high school or college student or another mother - in fact you might even be able to exchange time with you teaching their children whatever your first language is.

I agree with the PP who said that if you can type what you did in your first post then you'll be just fine. :)

I don't think your kids need to attend school to learn English. You and your children will learn the nitty gritty together, and probably much better than a lot of people that are born and raised here.

I do want to encourage you to raise your kids bilingual. A friend of mine moved here in her 20s and didn't speak English. She focused so much on learning English that she never spoke Spanish with her kids. She really regrets that now that her boys are older because they do not speak any Spanish.

So learn English together (there are so many good programs....I recommend Peace Hill Press) and teach your kids your native language as well.

There are many great responses already. We have a family in our co-op that is first generation in the US. The biggest thing I see is Mom is willing to learn from all ages. For example, last year she was discussing snack with my then 4 year old. She said, "Are you eating grape for snack?" My son looked at her and said, "Grapes, I am eating grapes." I guess this went one for a few rounds before she realized she wasn't saying the s. She thought it was funny that a 4 yod could hear the difference and she didn't, but also that it helped her to list for the plural more often. She is open to tips on her English and is able to laugh about it. So be open to learning and you will do great - which from your great concern I think you are.

I agree with the PP who said that if you can type what you did in your first post then you'll be just fine. :)

I don't think your kids need to attend school to learn English. You and your children will learn the nitty gritty together, and probably much better than a lot of people that are born and raised here.

I do want to encourage you to raise your kids bilingual. A friend of mine moved here in her 20s and didn't speak English. She focused so much on learning English that she never spoke Spanish with her kids. She really regrets that now that her boys are older because they do not speak any Spanish.

So learn English together (there are so many good programs....I recommend Peace Hill Press) and teach your kids your native language as well.

Based on your post you seem to have better English skills than you think. I think you have the ideal situation to teach your children to be fluent in two languages. I think you have a very unique and interesting situation that would be perfect for homeschooling!

Good luck!

Elise in NC

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and encouragement, so DH and I decided that we are going to go ahead and homeschool. I will look into all your advice and plan my curriculum in the next few weeks. I am so excited and nervous at the same time.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and encouragement, so DH and I decided that we are going to go ahead and homeschool. I will look into all your advice and plan my curriculum in the next few weeks. I am so excited and nervous at the same time.

Welcome the world of homeschooling! :D There is lots to learn from this board. Don't forget to check out the Bilingual Forum as well.

If your typing is a reflection of how much English you know I would say you are doing pretty well! The truth is that your child will learn the language he has the most exposure to and in the US that will be English. I like all of the suggestions that the previous posters mentioned. You can do it!

So many non native English speakers are very self conscious about their ability to communicate effectively, when in reality they often speak better English than most Americans!

Based on your post you seem to have better English skills than you think. I think you have the ideal situation to teach your children to be fluent in two languages. I think you have a very unique and interesting situation that would be perfect for homeschooling!

Good luck!

Elise in NC

:iagree: good luck!