Menu

I just offended a customer.

Someone called and asked about a problem with their lawn mower. It was necessary for them to replace their blade, and once they did, it would spin but not cut the grass.

All I asked was, "Did you try to put the blade on the other way?" It was a simple, non-confrontational question. She asked her dh and he said it wouldn't go on any other way. No problem, bring it in, we'll try to determine the problem.

When she came in she complained that I had offended her dh and was livid.:001_huh:

How did I offend someone that I didn't even talk to?!?!?!?!

Sheesh. I hate the public.

Someone called and asked about a problem with their lawn mower. It was necessary for them to replace their blade, and once they did, it would spin but not cut the grass.

All I asked was, "Did you try to put the blade on the other way?" It was a simple, non-confrontational question. She asked her dh and he said it wouldn't go on any other way. No problem, bring it in, we'll try to determine the problem.

When she came in she complained that I had offended her dh and was livid.:001_huh:

:grouphug: They are probably just having a bad day. Try not to take it personally, I am sure you are a very pleasant person.:001_smile:

Huh?! Weird that your question offended him. I would just say, "I'm sorry, I certainly didn't mean to offend you. You would be surprised at how many people put this on backwards. (or whatever) Let's get the problem fixed for you."

It's Monday. Go figure. Sorry you got such a cutting remark. (sorry, pun intended)

You would have to ask questions like this before offering to fix. What do they do when you call about computers, cable, or anything else you call about? It's sad that people allow themselves to get offended over such small things. Shake it off and have a GREAT day!

If he truly was livid then be happy you didn't have to deal with him. His poor wife probably had to take it.

I worked as a CSR for a lawn service for many years and it got to the point that I hated to answer the phone. People can be so petty and mean sometimes. It's like you are not an actual person on the other end of the phone and they feel like they can vent all over you.

Trust me - I am ROFLOL right now.

It's like when people pick up something we've fixed and they call back saying they can't get it to start or it started, ran for awhile, and then quit. I have to ask, "Have you checked to make sure it has gas in it?"

9 times out of 10 that is the problem!

It happened once that way, but the guy came here ranting and raving about how we hadn't fixed his mower. We put some gas in it for him, started it, and gave him some time to remove his feet from his mouth!:lol:

LOL this poor guy must not be real bright to get offend by that. I would say they are having a bad day too, but that doesn't excuse their rudness; both of them. Why would she tell you that he was ticked, she probably knew he was just having a temper tantrum, but yet she passed it on to you. Don't let them get you down. I remember working at Disney's call center when a gentlman got very upset with me because I didnt' know when his child's spring break was; the the heck am I suppose to know that. He griped at me for a good 2 mins before hanging up on me, we couldn't disconnect for any reason. Try and have a HAPPY MONDAY!!!!:D

It's like when people pick up something we've fixed and they call back saying they can't get it to start or it started, ran for awhile, and then quit. I have to ask, "Have you checked to make sure it has gas in it?"

It happened once that way, but the guy came here ranting and raving about how we hadn't fixed his mower. We put some gas in it for him, started it, and gave him some time to remove his feet from his mouth!:lol:

My uncle was a TV repair man and went on at least one call where all he had to do was plug in the TV. :smilielol5:

My uncle was a TV repair man and went on at least one call where all he had to do was plug in the TV. :smilielol5:

Yep - a friend told me about his brother making an on-site visit involving an airplane trip to service a plotter. When he started looking at it, he asked the employee to plug it in so that he could see what was wrong. The sheepish look on the employee's face told him all he needed to know. :D

Guest Virginia Dawn

Yep, in the Navy dh was forever writing reports that of course some (piece of airplane equipment) wouldn't work when the switch was in the O*F*F position.

LOL!

I used to work for an answering service (yes, I'm that old -- actually plugging the cords into the little holes) and one of our customers did appliance repairs for restaurants. We got a call late one night about a dishwasher that didn't work. I was being silly when I asked if it was plugged in -- but that was the problem!

Fortunately, that guy saw the humor in it and appreciated the fact that they didn't have to pay for a service call. Seeinz how it was pretty late, our customer didn't mind, either.

:lol:

This may be a guy who has worked on similar pieces of equipment all his life. To question him would be like asking you if you had put your bra on the right way this morning. All you can do is apologize, because from you, it was an honest question. If he's right that it can only go on one way, can you imagine his confidence level in you.... I'm trying to look at it from both sides.

This may be a guy who has worked on similar pieces of equipment all his life. To question him would be like asking you if you had put your bra on the right way this morning. All you can do is apologize, because from you, it was an honest question. If he's right that it can only go on one way, can you imagine his confidence level in you.... I'm trying to look at it from both sides.

If he had worked on equipment all his life, he would be calling me, not his wife. He wouldn't have been offended because some blades CAN go on both ways. Besides, I never talked to him - I asked her the question and SHE asked him. LOL

I don't care if he has confidence in me or not - I was trying to save them a trip up here and $30 if it was unnecessary. It's one of those can't win situations - if I *hadn't* asked and that's what it was, he would have been offended that I charged him $30 to flip a blade around!

I confess.

When I worked in retail, a fruit shop, I'd squeeze people's avocados if they really offended me. I also confess, that I still don't feel bad about it.

Customer service is enough to inspire someone to create voodoo dolls.

Rosie

I confess.

When I worked in retail, a fruit shop, I'd squeeze people's avocados if they really offended me. I also confess, that I still don't feel bad about it.

Customer service is enough to inspire someone to create voodoo dolls.

Rosie

:lol::lol::lol:

We finished the day with some GREAT customers who were the most friendly outgoing people you could imagine.

My dh is usually very good at deflecting people's anger. After the "offended" incident, a guy came in and was ANGRY - not at us, but at the other 3 places he'd been that morning. My dh was able to calm him down, sell him what he needed, and the guy ordered more.

This is why they make me stay in the office - I can't stand people!:tongue_smilie:

This is why they make me stay in the office - I can't stand people!:tongue_smilie:

Yup -- that's me. I learned at 16 when I was fired from my first job at Burger King that customer service wasn't for me. Hey, it wasn't my fault! I begged 'em to put me in the back with the burgers, but noooooooooooooo!

Give me an office -- heck, even a cubicle! A desk in the basement?!-- and everyone is much happier. :)

Couldn't agree more about working with public. I worked in banking for years, (on the teller side). We moved to another state, I was looking for a new job - and told the bank I applied to - I will work in any department, just not with the public. And they still hired me!

I have one for you.....when I was 18 I worked at a Sears Service Center....and we would get all kinds....LOL But my favorite was a lady that came in ANGRY....she was all, "We JUST bought this VCR last week and it already stopped working! Sears sells crap...it's just a junk fest there now...blah blah blah" So the technician pops it open and low and behold....there was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich crammed inside....LOL She was all....:blushing: I have a 3 year old....

:lol::lol::lol: