Menu

If your 5yo ds was a King Arthur nut...

Jayne J

what would you read to him? I have a Howard Pyle inspired version picture book, and St. George and the Dragon (ok, not strictly Arthur, but knights in general are fine too:001_smile:) I'm looking for something that can be read in just a few sittings, if not in one long one, as I figure I'll be reading it alot, but that still has good literary quality. Does such a thing exist? (Ds has pretty good attention span, considering he is only 5, but long chapter books lose his attention.) Thanks!

I have three picture books that we really enjoy. I find the writing to be quite good and the pictures are beautiful.

Bearskin by Howard Pyle, illustrated by Trina Hyman

Young Lancelot by Robert D. San Souci, Illustrated by Jamichael Henterly

(There is also Young Guinevere and Young Merlin, but I haven't read them.)

Excalibur written and illustrated by Hudson Talbott

Pyle might be a bit much for a 5yo (but depending on the 5 yo might not).

True. Otto of the Silver Hand is a readable Pyle; my dd loved this when she was a young 5. Not King Arthur, but knights and nobles. She also enjoyed Men of Iron, but that's definitely a bit more challenging.

We are ALL ABOUT knights and legends in our house, too.

Try

Myths and Legends of the Middle Ages by Guerber

Iron John by Mayer

Pilgrims Progress printed by Barbour (young christian library reader)

Treasure Island and Adventures of Robin Hood (Classic starts from B&Noble)

Three Musketeers and King Arthur (great illustrated classics version)

My Fathers Dragon by Gannett

The Door in the Wall by de Angeli

The Lion, Witch and Wardrobe stories: Lucy's Adventure, Edmund's Struggle, Susan's Journey and Peter's Destiny condensed by Pauline Baynes

Gail Gibbons' Kinghts in shining armor

A tournament of knights by joe lasker

My dd(7) enjoyed the Jim Weiss audio cd about King Arthur. For the life of me I can't remember the exact title, but search under Jim Weiss and you'll find it. She made her older sister listen to it in the car over and over:001_smile:

My prince and princess love all of the San Souci books: Young Merlin, Young Arthur, Young Guinevere, Young Lancelot. BEAUTIFUL illustrations! Check your library and used bookstores. :)

Yong Merlin ans Young Arthur ordered from the library system.

I'm very interested in this thread. Thanks to all who've make suggestions!

Bill

Oh! If we can go beyond Arthur himself, than a big ol' AMEN! to The Door in the Wall. And some great readers are The Sword in the Tree and Minstrel in the Tower.

Also, someone mentioned the Chronicles of Narnia adapted. My dd6 has listened to ALL of these in the original multiple times (faves are The Silver Chair and Voyage of the Dawn Treader). Check out the HarperAudio readings; they're GREAT! (Costco had a REALLY good deal on these: All 7 books read by Patrick Stewart, Derek Jacobi, Kenneth Branagh, etc. plus a one-volume edition of all 7 books for $60, I believe it was. That's a steal for audiobooks).

If you like audio, Naxos Audio also has the King Arthur stories, read by Sean Bean--dd LOVES this!

Young Lancelot by Robert D. San Souci, Illustrated by Jamichael Henterly

(There is also Young Guinevere and Young Merlin, but I haven't read them.)

Excalibur written and illustrated by Hudson Talbott

This was what I was going to recommend: the Hudson Talbott picture books. He has written several. The San Souci versions are wonderful too.

Wow! To all responders a genuine and outsized thanks! I have a great list of books to search for, and am looking forward to reading all of them to ds. He too would thank you for all your help. I knew I could count on all the WTMers!!:hurray: