Menu

curriculum kit? (newbie question)

lgliser

I'm still in the researching phase of homeschooling. My kids are in public school for kindergarten this year but I want to homeschool for first grade.

I've read TWTM but at this point it's been a while and honestly some of it has left my brain. I know she recommends a bunch of curriculum for math and whatever other subjects.....And then I see people talking about curriculums like Sonlight for example. Is that like a kit? And even if it's not, there ARE kits out there, yes? Are they recommended for a classical education? And do they come with literally everything you need? Like for a year or what?

If I didn't do a kit type thing, I would just pick and choose my subjects however I wanted right?

What to do for first grade next year?

There are kits, or boxed curriculums out there. I don't do classical myself, but I do think thar Memoria Press and Veritas Press are classical kits. But there are a dozen or more non-classical programs out there.

If you don't use a boxed curriculum, you can just pick and choose.

You can get a ton of help from the hive figuring out what will work for you, but it'll help if you give us a bit more info. ;)

Are you looking for religious curricula, or secular?

Are you planning to follow the four-year cycle for history?

Do you love read-alouds? Textbooks? Hands-on projects?

Do you like to plan things out ahead of time, or would you rather get out of bed and have everything ready to go for you?

Are all of your kids working at about the same level?

Thanks! I'm glad to answer any questions and VERY much appreciate the help!

Are you looking for religious curricula, or secular?

Religious

Are you planning to follow the four-year cycle for history?

I think so. I like the sound of Story of the World.

Do you love read-alouds? Textbooks? Hands-on projects?

I don't know! Read-alouds as in I am reading out loud? That sounds fine. Textbooks? Sounds good to me. Hands on projects? I think the kids would love those, though I'm not sure if they are my cup of tea. I hope I can motivate myself to do some since I really do think the kids would enjoy them.

Do you like to plan things out ahead of time, or would you rather get out of bed and have everything ready to go for you?

I don't mind some planning ahead, but the idea of everything being ready to go sounds SUPER. And makes me feel less overwhelmed. I am doing a little supplemental reading with them going through The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading (I think that's what it's called) and I enjoy how it basically has a script for me. I wouldn't know how to word things so that really helps me out.

Are all of your kids working at about the same level?

For now, yes! And I would be willing to dumb one or two of them down to keep on track with the other(s). HA - just kidding!

:001_smile: Have you read TWTM?

We pick and choose, in a Classical way...

I suggest a mentor, and reading the threads.

Keep asking on any of them that interest you.

I have read it, but I want to read it again. It's been a while and I'm forgetting some of what it talks about.

I would LOVE a mentor. I assume you mean an "in person" mentor, but I haven't been able to find very many people locally who homeschool. An online mentor would be fine with me. Anyone, anyone?? ;)

There are companies from which you can order everything in a box. Some of them end up being B-O-R-I-N-G. You may also find that you have a different teaching style. For example, before I started, regular textbooks seemed nice. But then once I used one, I realized that many of them are mind numbingly dull to teach. *I* was bored to tears. :lol: So I actually prefer a literature approach. I couldn't go full literature approach when I did first grade with DS1 because my kids weren't used to being read aloud to, and they had a hard time concentrating. Two years later, everyone is used to it, and my 8 year old listens well to long chapter books and such.

Memoria Press is supposed to have a good "kit". They throw different curricula together and give you a schedule.

I use Sonlight with both my school aged boys right now, but I wouldn't really call it a "kit" as you're thinking. I'm using a core for history, readers, and read-alouds. I pick my own math, language arts, science, etc.

If you like OPGTR, you'll probably like other PHP stuff. FLL for grammar, WWE for writing, SOTW for history. They're all easy to use and enjoyable. When using a scripted program though, you need to be careful not to become a slave to the curriculum. Remember that YOU are teaching. Your kids may need more or less practice or repetition than the curriculum provides. For example, in FLL1, my oldest did not need 45 lessons on common vs. proper nouns. He understood it in one. So I skipped the other 44 lessons. ;) It would look like this, "You remember that names of states are proper nouns and thus use a capital letter, right? Ok, let's move on..." Or if your child needs 90 lessons in common vs. proper nouns, you may repeat lessons or play some games or whatever else you can think of to practice it (I'm only using that as an example... I wouldn't be concerned if a kid didn't get that concept fully in first grade - it comes up again year after year!).

I am by nature a box checker, but I have to create my own boxes to check, because my kids don't fit in a box. They aren't all one grade level. I plan ONE week at a time (though I have the entire year's assignments in a "lesson plan" in Homeschool Tracker Plus, with no dates attached). On Sunday afternoon, I look at what's left in the lesson plan, think about what that kid can probably do that week, and I submit the necessary assignments. I use my checklist during the week. Sometimes we'll do more than what's on the checklist, and sometimes we won't get to something, but it at least keeps me roughly on track, even if the kids are jumping ahead or needing to park for a bit on a topic. We are using Sonlight by the schedule, but it has zero skills associated with it. It's all content. Content is easier to schedule ahead of time.

I highly recommend purchasing the WTM book if you only checked it out from the library. It's worth owning so you can read it again and again and again. I'm not even doing the exact WTM method really, but I still like using that book as a reference when I'm planning. :)

I love the looks of the Memoria Press curriculum by grade. I would love to purchase the 5th grade and be done w/it :) It has everything picked out. It is all good quality stuff. If they don't publish it, they choose from Rod and Staff for their core stuff and include that, and I love Rod and Staff for the core subjects. They include memory work which is a big part of the grammar stage, and schedule it out for you instead of you planning it on your own like w/WTM. That would be nice.

But it hasn't worked for me, because we started on TWTM schedule before MP had their grades packages. And it is on a different history rotation and science rotation than TWTM, and I am unwilling to give up on SOTW.

So instead I just pick and choose different things from MP that I like to go along w/our Rod and Staff core subjects, our SOTW and WTM style everything else.

Just wanted to point that out, that MP will not have you using the SOTW, and I think it is so good that you don't want to miss out on it, since you are already interested in it.

I'm still in the researching phase of homeschooling. My kids are in public school for kindergarten this year but I want to homeschool for first grade.

I've read TWTM but at this point it's been a while and honestly some of it has left my brain. I know she recommends a bunch of curriculum for math and whatever other subjects.....And then I see people talking about curriculums like Sonlight for example. Is that like a kit? And even if it's not, there ARE kits out there, yes? Are they recommended for a classical education? And do they come with literally everything you need? Like for a year or what?

If I didn't do a kit type thing, I would just pick and choose my subjects however I wanted right?

What to do for first grade next year?

Sonlight is NOT a "kit." You can buy grade level "kits" from the Timberdoodle and from Christian Liberty Press. I have not seen anything that is specifically oriented to classical, although I haven't looked very hard. :-) A "kit" generally is a box of books from different sources, all at the same grade level.

Some people like to buy everything from a single school textbook publisher, such as Rod and Staff or Bob Jones University Press or Alpha Omega. Some school publishers, such as Christian Liberty Press, don't have all subjects yet. I never found a single publisher that I liked for all subjects, and, besides, I didn't want all school-published textbooks. :-)

I prefer to buy something written for homeschoolers as often as possible, including a study guide that uses trade books (those are books you would find in the library or a book store, as opposed to a textbook), which is what Sonligh does.

My advice is to keep it as simple as possible (which may depend on the law in your state. It's more difficult to keep it simple if you live, say, in Pennsylvania). You want something for English skills (phonics, penmanship, simple writing, etc.) and something for arithmetic, and then you can add in history and science. If your budget is large enough, you could do Sonlight. If not, use the library and Internet and educational DVDs and so on.

Thanks! I'm glad to answer any questions and VERY much appreciate the help!

Religious

I think so. I like the sound of Story of the World.

I don't know! Read-alouds as in I am reading out loud? That sounds fine. Textbooks? Sounds good to me. Hands on projects? I think the kids would love those, though I'm not sure if they are my cup of tea. I hope I can motivate myself to do some since I really do think the kids would enjoy them.

I don't mind some planning ahead, but the idea of everything being ready to go sounds SUPER. And makes me feel less overwhelmed. I am doing a little supplemental reading with them going through The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading (I think that's what it's called) and I enjoy how it basically has a script for me. I wouldn't know how to word things so that really helps me out.

For now, yes! And I would be willing to dumb one or two of them down to keep on track with the other(s). HA - just kidding!

Have you looked into Heart of Dakota? I've never used it, since we're secular (and my dd is only four, lol, but I've been researching this stuff since she was in utero) but it's extremely popular with religious homeschoolers- I swear, every hser I meet in person is using it- and it has everything pretty much laid out for you. I'm not sure how they do their history, but it sounds like it might be a good fit for you.

Heart of Dakota

From what I've read, it also makes it easy to sub in your own phonics/math/etc. program, if you're already using something that's working for you.

Edited by Mergath

I have read it, but I want to read it again. It's been a while and I'm forgetting some of what it talks about.

I would LOVE a mentor. I assume you mean an "in person" mentor, but I haven't been able to find very many people locally who homeschool. An online mentor would be fine with me. Anyone, anyone?? ;)

Your posts make me laugh! :D I wish I knew more so I could help you!!

You might want to check out My Father's World curriculum. I don't use it for 1st, but will for 2nd grade and up. It mixes classical and "Charlotte Mason philosophy," which is a refreshing philosophy of education that mixes well with classical philosophy in many aspects. You can read more about it at simplycharlottemason.com or at Ambleside Online (a free online curriculum following Charlotte Mason's philosophy).

We use BJU Press for pretty much everything. BUT, I do some tweaking throughout. For example, in Heritage Studies, I look for Evan-Moore pocket folder activities to go with the lessons. For Science, I add a Bill Nye DVD to kick off the chapter, and we do ALL of the experiments. I ditched BJU's reading program because it was just too boring and honestly, it killed MY love of reading! We're currently doing an Evan-Moore pocket folder (non-fiction), and I will rotate the EM pocket folders with Literature studies throughout the rest of the year. BJU has Booklinks, which are far more interesting than the readers.

I really like the Math and English BJU offers, as it seems like a really solid program for both of my boys.

If you can afford it, the online videos in 1st grade were a lot of fun for my boys. But again, I stepped in and did a lot of hand's-on throughout the year. Feel free to peruse my blog (in my siggy) to see how we make it work.

You might want to check out My Father's World curriculum. I don't use it for 1st, but will for 2nd grade and up. It mixes classical and "Charlotte Mason philosophy," which is a refreshing philosophy of education that mixes well with classical philosophy in many aspects. You can read more about it at simplycharlottemason.com or at Ambleside Online (a free online curriculum following Charlotte Mason's philosophy).

I've heard of this one and I plan to look into it this evening. I'll also check out Heart of Dakota.

Are both or either of these compatible with Story of the World? Or would I just scrap that?

I feel like when I read TWTM that I remember thinking good, she lays out so many recommendations for curriculum every year that this will be easy. I'll just pick from her lists. Even though I know that there are many more out there but so as not to completely overwhelm myself, I will put my trust in her. But....! Like she didn't mention My Father's World for example. At least I don't think she did. And it really does sound nice. I could do SOME from MFW I guess?? And some from whatever she recommends? And some from other things?

Do most curriculums have a "script" basically? As in it tells me just what to say as I teach?

What does read aloud mean? (Aside from the obvious)! Like am I reading something out loud or is it something the child reads aloud?

Edited by lgliser

I've heard of this one and I plan to look into it this evening. I'll also check out Heart of Dakota.

Are both or either of these compatible with Story of the World? Or would I just scrap that?

I feel like when I read TWTM that I remember thinking good, she lays out so many recommendations for curriculum every year that this will be easy. I'll just pick from her lists. Even though I know that there are many more out there but so as not to completely overwhelm myself, I will put my trust in her. But....! Like she didn't mention My Father's World for example. At least I don't think she did. And it really does sound nice. I could do SOME from MFW I guess?? And some from whatever she recommends? And some from other things?

Do most curriculums have a "script" basically? As in it tells me just what to say as I teach?

What does read aloud mean? (Aside from the obvious)! Like am I reading something out loud or is it something the child reads aloud?

The problem with boxed curricula is that many of them have history integrated into other subjects, like language arts, and if you're going to sub out the history, it ends up defeating the purpose of getting the boxed curriculum in the first place.

It's certainly possible to put together your own program with different curricula for different subjects- we're doing that for my dd's K4 year- but it is a lot more work, and you don't have the instructor's guide that weaves everything together for you and schedules it all out. If you do go for it and piece together different subjects, I'd recommend getting the activity guide for SotW. It has a schedule, iirc, and activities, booklists, other resources, maps, etc.

As for TWTM, part of the reason she probably does leave out things like MFW and HoD is that they aren't technically classical education (though one could argue otherwise, because there seem to be about a million different definitions of "classical education" out there now. :tongue_smilie:) It's a great guide, and I rely on her ideas and suggestions heavily, but if I hadn't looked for more stuff outside her book, I'd have missed out on a lot.

Most curricula don't have a word-for-word script (although a few of them do) but the boxed ones will usually lay out a general guide for each thing, like, "Explain to your child that the world has seven continents, and show him or her where they are located on a world map."

When people refer to read-alouds, it usually means that the parent is reading the book out loud to the children.

I use Sonlight with both my school aged boys right now, but I wouldn't really call it a "kit" as you're thinking. I'm using a core for history, readers, and read-alouds. I pick my own math, language arts, science, etc.

If you like OPGTR, you'll probably like other PHP stuff. FLL for grammar, WWE for writing, SOTW for history. They're all easy to use and enjoyable.

This is similar to my approach. You can look in my siggie for what I am using curriculum-wise. I did not like Sonlight's language arts program at all. I was much happier with First Language Lessons. We used Writing with Ease for several years, but I really have come to appreciate Writing Tales. The first level could be used with a 1st or 2nd grader.

When I was first starting out, I felt more secure with the hand-holding that Sonlight gave in terms of scheduling for the subjects we used it with. The kids loved the readalouds. Five years down the road, I have more confidence, but I still appreciate having someone else do much of the planning for me. (I work part time.)

Keep asking questions. Entering the homeschool world is much like learning a foreign language. Doing a forum search for specific curricula has been very helpful to me. Gobs of old threads pop up with useful information.

The problem with boxed curricula is that many of them have history integrated into other subjects, like language arts, and if you're going to sub out the history, it ends up defeating the purpose of getting the boxed curriculum in the first place.

Since the OP was interested in Sonlight, I can speak to the bolded regarding that point. It is simple to use Sonlight only for history, readers and readalouds without using the program's language arts. Story of the World is used in Sonlight curriculum in the latter elementary grades as one of the history spines.

OP, please don't feel that I am pushing Sonlight on you - it is the only boxed curriculum program I am familiar with so it's the only one I can comment on. There are many good programs available. It is a good problem to have for a newbie (or a not so newbie:tongue_smilie:).

As for TWTM, part of the reason she probably does leave out things like MFW and HoD is that they aren't technically classical education (though one could argue otherwise, because there seem to be about a million different definitions of "classical education" out there now. ) It's a great guide, and I rely on her ideas and suggestions heavily, but if I hadn't looked for more stuff outside her book, I'd have missed out on a lot.

Interesting! And I guess it just shows how "new" I really am. I was under the impression that to do a Classical education, that I needed to do history like SOTW style - the 4 year chunks and all. But now it seems like maybe not - like some other curriculum could be just as good and maybe that curriculum doesn't do it the same way. Or am I wrong? Does a classical education have to do history in 4 year chunks, getting deeper each year.

So I really am starting to see that there really are quite a few definitions of a classical education.

OP, please don't feel that I am pushing Sonlight on you - it is the only boxed curriculum program I am familiar with so it's the only one I can comment on.

Even if you were, I wouldn't mind! It's helpful to me when people feel strongly about something - if they love it or hate it!

So Sonlight actually uses SOTW? What style would you classify it as? It was mentioned that MFW is a classical/mason mix....

Everyone else has given you great info about getting started. I'll post something just a little different:

Something that really helped me right before I started homeschooling was a friend sat me down and listed the school subjects we would need to cover, and then pulled out several different programs for each subject (she had 8 kids, all different learner styles!). I could compare and see that they mostly covered the same general topics, but just with a slightly different emphasis -- some were more workbook-based, some more video-based, some more activity/hands-on based, etc.

For the list of subjects, it looks like you will be doing 1st grade so you will need to find some way to cover:

1. Math

(Saxon is very scripted so it really holds your hand; Math Mammoth, Rod & Staff, and Christian Light Education, are very simple workbook-based programs; Math-U-See has a different sequence of topics than the typical math program, but has a video lesson for you the teacher, plus other helps, and is very visual/hands-on with the manipulative blocks...)

2. Language Arts:

A. Reading

(learning to read program like the Ordinary Parents Guide To Reading or other, OR, if they read already, gaining fluency and confidence with either readers like Phonics Pathway series, or books that come in a boxed curriculum like Sonlight, or, practice with "living books" at their reading level from the library)

B. Phonics

(usually workbooks, like Explode the Code; MCP Plaid; etc.)

C. Spelling

(usually don't need a formal program until 2nd or 3rd grade; however if you want to start spelling in 1st grade, a good program that involves all the learning styles and has a good amount of teacher help is All About Spelling)

D. Handwriting

(probably copywork -- many resources for this, or can just use a sentence from the child's narration or copy a sentence from their reading -- Writing with Ease 1 is a classical program with dictation assignments, comprehension questions, and reading passages. You may want a handwriting workbook if child needs direction/practice in how to form each letter)

E. Writing

(probably not needed until about 3rd grade; but if you have an earlybird in this area, you can practice narrations, or do writing from prompts, free writing, story writing, etc.)

F. Vocabulary

(don't *need* to worry about a formal program until later -- at least 3rd grade; just do lots of reading aloud and explain words in context as you read; however, if you'd like a program, there are some "roots based" programs that are like games and can be done orally)

G. Grammar

(don't *need* to worry about a formal program until later -- say, 3rd or 4th grade; however, many people like using First Language Lessons (orally, rather than having the student write it out) in grade 1 or 2 to get started with basic grammar concepts)

Optional:

- History

- Geography

- Science

- Critical Thinking

- Music / Art

And, of course, if you go with a "boxed" curriculum such as My Father's World, Sonlight, Tapestry of Grace, etc., you will have all of your Language Arts, History, Geography, and possibly Science taken care of in one place, with only a need to buy a math program.

BEST of luck as you plan, and WELCOME to homeschooling! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

PS

I listed just a few programs, and tried to stick with Christian, and with more classical in approach, as you indicated you would like to go that route. That really helps narrow the field, as there are now SO MANY choices for every subject it is overwhelming!

Again, wishing you every success, and just keep posting your questions as you have them! :) Loads of knowledgeable people here to help! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you Lori D! That's some great info there.

I appreciate this board so much - the encouragement to keep asking questions is awesome because I know new people must be joining constantly and asking all of the same questions. It's easy to just say "search the archives" and in my case, I certainly have. And past messages are incredibly helpful but it's nice to have an actual conversation too!

I think there are pluses and minuses re: boxed curricula.

On the one hand, they already have everything scheduled and laid out for you.

On the other hand, they already have everything scheduled and laid out for you. :p

We did My Father's World for about 4 months of K. I loved the idea of it (it's such a sweet little curriculum) but quickly realized that *I* like to do some degree of planning. I didn't like that everything in each unit was connected. What if we needed to skip ahead in reading? What if the science just wasn't enough? With the box curric/plan, I felt like it was all-or-nothing (granted I am a little OCD on these things)...so we ended up dropping it.

Anyway, for my first grader -- while I still drool over the lovely box programs -- I pick and choose to make our plans. It's not difficult at all to go that route.

We do:

• Reading/phonics: took me a long time to find what we liked, but we're currently using OPGTR and Rod & Staff
  • Math: Singapore
  • Literature (read-alouds)
  • Art: Home Art Studio, How To Teach Art to Children
  • History/Geography: very very light, through Little House on the Prairie books, mapping, etc
  • Science: ACSI Grd. 1
  • Handwriting

Another thing to understand about Classical education (as laid out in TWTM).... the recommendations in the book are just that. Recommendations. I loved reading TWTM and much of it resonated with me, but I also agree with some Charlotte Mason ideas. And I enjoy other styles of education/learning. TWTM recommends SOTW, but my DD can't handle it. No prob, I have a history in mind -- we're just delaying our 4-yr. cycle until the little one can do it with us. I like the idea of WWE and FLL but they were WAY too much for my 6 yr old (we plan on picking it up next year with level 1).

I guess what I'm saying is: be flexible. :) You don't have to follow recs to the letter.

Hi again! I'm a newbie in one sense, but I've also been researching like a fiend since February, so I can try to answer some of your questions. I agreed with TWTM when I read it, and so wanted to implement history the way Bauer lays out in the book--in a 4-year chronological cycle, tying in literature alongside, so you're not having the kids read *boring reading textbooks* with snippets of little stories that may or may not be classic literature. However, I don't have a library here and wanted something more planned out for me as a newbie. I found several different curricula now that teach history in a 4-year chronological cycle, some sticking more strictly to the schedule than others, giving you book lists and schedules to help schedule the literature part. I was attracted to MFW because it uses SOTW as it's main history "spine" for years 2-4 of the cycle. They also schedule science, including 2 of the Apologia textbooks and 1 of the Answers in Genesis, which is what I was thinking of using for science. So that's a long answer to your first question--yes, you use SOTW in MFW.

I think Bauer doesn't mention MFW or HOD in her book because "boxed" curricula will have parts that maybe aren't on the top of her recommendation list. So she just takes what she feels best follows her classical philosophy for each subject and puts it all together herself. I would only go with a boxed curriculum if I wanted all of the parts (or could live with them all). Otherwise, piece it together yourself. And yes, you could take just parts of MFW or HOD. The main part of MFW is the history, so you could take just the history and Bible, and leave out the science and other extras, like read-alouds, music, and art. But for me the addition of well-chosen items for those subjects justifies the cost of the teacher's manual; and if I didn't have it all there, I might leave some out. Certainly with MFW, you can do your own thing for language arts and math. You do not have to use their recommendations at all (in response to another post that said sometimes the history is tied to the language arts for example; it isn't really with MFW.)

As to the scriptedness, you can see from samples online how scripted it is. ABeka tells you word for word what to say in their teacher's manuals. I noticed MFW had more general suggestions.

I do not feel that Sonlight is *as* classical as some of the other choices out there, for one reason, because it goes through the history cycle in about two years--I think. ?

We are doing MFW K and loving it. The plan is to do their first grade program next year, and add in Song School Latin. I think it is pretty open and go, which was nice for this newbie! I may do TWTM sometime in the future, but for now, I am happy with the hand-holding and structure that MFW provides :) .

We are doing MFW K and loving it. The plan is to do their first grade program next year, and add in Song School Latin. I think it is pretty open and go, which was nice for this newbie! I may do TWTM sometime in the future, but for now, I am happy with the hand-holding and structure that MFW provides :) .

Ok and so for those who start one thing but then find it's not quite right, or it was but needs have changed or whatever... how hard is it to switch? I feel like I am such a completionist! (is that a word)? When I start something I like to make sure it's the right something, and see it through. But even if I could get past that, is it hard for you and the kids to adjust to another way of learning?

I feel like I am such a completionist! (is that a word)? When I start something I like to make sure it's the right something, and see it through.

When your child has repeated daily melt-downs and you are hating the very sight of the program that is not a good fit for that child, it's easy to get over the feeling of "must complete the program"... :tongue_smilie:

for those who start one thing but then find it's not quite right, or it was but needs have changed or whatever... how hard is it to switch? ... is it hard for you and the kids to adjust to another way of learning?

Especially in the elementary grades, most programs are covering mostly similar topics, so that aspect is not so difficult for switching.

Switching is not as hard as you might think; just plan on it taking 2-6 weeks for you AND your students to make the adjustment to the new way of doing it. That's why it's a good idea to try and "tweak" first and see if you can make a program that may not be the perfect fit work for you and then switch at the end of the year, if needed.

Also, especially with young elementary children, sometimes it is not the program, but that they are just not ready for that particular concept (this happens a LOT with math). So, the trick is to discern if it is the program that's not a good fit, or if it is that the child's brain development isn't ready for that topic yet. Setting that topic completely aside for a few weeks can help; it's nice to have some sort of light supplement to use as a fill-in at that time. Our younger DS "hit the wall" a LOT with math up until 5th grade, so I had supplements, often with fun manipulatives, that practiced some other math concept entirely; when we came back a week (or a month) later to our regular "spine" math program, quite often it was no longer a problem.

Warmest regards, Lori D.

I too used to think that educating classically meant doing the history in a 4 year cycle! Ha! Not that I have a full understanding of what it means now, but I try to look at it in the three stages of the trivium--the grammar stage, the logic stage, and the rhetoric stage. It helps me to realize what my kids are actually capable of as they are all in the grammar stage. It was freeing to realize that it was okay to focus on the learning of facts and memorization. Don't know if that makes sense or not, but it has helped me to look at everything we are doing and what my goals are in that framework.

Keep in mind that it may take a lot of time before you feel like you have hit your groove in homeschooling. I have heard many homeschooling parents say that it can take several years to feel that way, and after 3 years of homeschooling, I finally am starting to feel a little more confident in what we are doing. And of course, I am sure that as soon as I feel like I have it all down, I will get thrown a curve ball and everything will come unglued!

I too am a "completionist" to use your word.:001_smile: I hate leaving things undone, and we are on a tight budget, making switches from one curriculum to the next difficult. I agree with the poster above that said to give a new curriculum several weeks before making a judgement as to whether or not it works. And I am pretty sure Sonlight (and I am sure others) have very lenient return policies, if you find that it just isn't working for you.

I hope that you can find a mentor, or at least another homeschooling family to come alongside. And this forum has been a wellspring of information for me!