Menu

Super visual learner hates read-alouds! What to do?

Mrs. Lilac

One of my twin boys, Teddy (almost 7, 1st grade) has autism. As is common with many autistic people, he is very much a visual learner. He loves books with pictures, videos, apps, etc. He's always loved to be read to, but of course, they were mostly shorter picture books. This is his first year homeschooling with us (he went to public school last year for K.) His older sister and twin brother love to listen to read-alouds (like Narnia, or Magic Tree House, etc.) They are a big part of our schooling. Teddy is NOT into it. At all. As soon as I start reading, he wanders out of the room and doesn't want to come back until I stop reading. Even though his reading/writing/comprehension level is above grade level, I think it has to do with his visual bent.....he will gladly be read to almost endlessly if they are books with pictures.

All that to say, I'm stumped! Anyone else have extremely visual learners? How do you counteract this?

Perhaps have him draw or color? He might do better with something visual to engage him. When we first started doing longer read alouds, I had Ariel draw something from the story, and she would listen much longer than if she just had to sit and try to pay attention.

I was one of those kids who hated to be read to, also, until about 4th grade, when I had a teacher who read aloud better than anyone I've ever heard. Everyone else always seemed to plod along the book and not make it interesting. Since then, I've had some success with audiobooks, but they usually need to have an excellent reader (unlike most of the ones on Librivox) that will do different voices and/or music. For me, someone with an accent helps, too. (And it seems more authentic for someone with a British accent to read a story set in England, etc.) For example, the first audio book I remember liking was Hank the Cowdog because the author read in different voices and accents and sang the songs. It made it easier to picture the story.

Did you just start trying to read these books to him recently? My oldest is NOT a visual learner, and he couldn't concentrate on long chapter books like that at that age. It took gradually working up to reading books without pictures. Now he's fine without them. My middle son IS visual, and he tunes out when I read long chapter books. I read to my oldest son, and the little ones can hang around or wander off. I read picture books to my little ones, as those are more developmentally appropriate for where they are.

Your son may need a longer transition time to pictureless chapter books than his twin does. Or he may need to read along with you instead of listening. My oldest definitely does better reading something himself vs. hearing it read to him (he doesn't need pictures to understand - he just needs to see the words).

I think you can try more visually engaging books. There are illustrated editions that have more images. And you can stick with longer picture books - things like Castle Diary, for example. Or you can try reading aloud during mealtimes or giving him something to occupy his hands while he listens.

But... it may just be read alouds aren't for him. I'm a huge proponent of reading aloud and I think it's the right thing for 99 kids in a hundred. But it might not be the right thing for him and you might have to readjust how you approach that with him.

Speaking from my own experience as a child and a bit as an adult...

I don't like listening to stories unless I am DOING something. I can listen to my husband read to my kids while I am cleaning the bathroom a lot better than I can if I am just sitting there. My mind wanders and I find it boring.

I'm not saying this is the same situation as your son, but it's something to think about. I also can listen to lectures better if I'm doing Sudoku or knitting or something similar at the same time.

Now that I've written this and read it, I think this has nothing do with being visual. I'm more of a kinesthetic learner, so perhaps this is totally irrelevant.

I have one of those. :tongue_smilie:

Two things helped. The first one, was give her something quiet to fidget with while I read. Those pocket fidgets they make for sensory diets, silly putty, stuff like that.

The second trick didn't work well until she was reading well herself. That was buy two copies of the book, and let her follow along in her copy as I read out of mine. Sharing one book did not work.

Have you tried reading illustrated editions of some of the classics? I recently purchased this edition of the Wind in the Willows, illustrated by Ingpen, and totally fell in love with it. I've also seen his edition of Peter Pan and it is also beautiful. Nearly every page of these books has an illustration, and they are very engaging. And I think there are several more classics he has illustrated (Jungle Book, Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer, etc.). Just wanted to offer that as a suggestion. I know there are other classics that have been illustrated by other artists as well.

My VSL girl listens to audiobooks when we drive in the car. It took her awhile to get used to it but now she requests them--she's stuck in her seat already, might as well listen to something. She also likes listening to picture book CDs whie looking at the picture book itself. Actual read-alouds at home are confined to picture-heavy science books and a chapter when she's tucked into bed and is drawing.

My VSL girl listens to audiobooks when we drive in the car.

:iagree:

We started doing this years ago and my kids now love listening to audio books in the car. :D

We also will sometimes stop at key points in the story to check visualization skills. I'll walk them step by step through key questions and as they answer, I'll draw a picture based on their answers.

First I would explain the concept of "mind's eye" to him. Then I would ask him if he creates images in his mind while you are reading. Does he "see" what you are reading or does he solely rely on the pictures in books as his idea of what scenes look like? If his mind's eye needs some support, I would recommend Reading Is Seeing. (It might be worth a read either way, as it has some good strategies for VSL kids.)

I agree with the idea of working up to chapter books with him, using picture books with longer passages. There is rich language to be found there and I think we tend to blaze through the picture book period way too fast. Well done audio books have also been great here, and my kids love to listen while they play something quiet. I also let my kids create scenes from read-alouds as I read (sometimes with wooden blocks/toys, clay, art). DS9 is starting to outline as I read. Strange fellow really enjoys outlining. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy