Menu

Miquon math kindergarten

visitor

Hello all I started with my Son doing Singapore math kindergarden and I am glad it is going very well so far he loves it. I have noticed Many homeschool parents use SM with miquon math. My question is does miquon math have à kindergarden program. My ds is almost 4 years old. I liked the concept but I saw that the first book starts at grade 1

Hello all I started with my Son doing Singapore math kindergarden and I am glad it is going very well so far he loves it. I have noticed Many homeschool parents use SM with miquon math. My question is does miquon math have à kindergarden program. My ds is almost 4 years old. I liked the concept but I saw that the first book starts at grade 1

Miquon was released in 1964. In those days math instruction (other than the very most basic) began in First Grade. Like it or not, times have changed. The lessons in Orange/Red are, for the most part, very well suited to Kindergarten (or even pre-K) use. In my situation we started with Miquon in pre-K and am very happy about that.

One thing about Miquon is the lessons are very hands on and provide the sort of "concrete" learning that Singapore argues is vital, yet really does not deliver. Best IMO to use Miquon and Miquon-like methods prior to introducing the topics in Primary Mathematics.

Bill

Three of my kiddos were able to do most of Orange (the first book) at 6. One is just now getting Orange, and she is 7 1/2. My kids are a little delayed, but I would be surprised if an average 4 year old could do it. Maybe the average 5 or older 5 year old, but 4 I think is pushing it.

We just switched to Miquon. We worked through some of Saxon K over the summer, but the spiral method was driving both of us insane, so we decided to go with something else. The orange book and the C-rods are working great so far. We haven't gotten too far into it, but the book starts with counting, so you can't really get much simpler than that. I think it's more of a matter of how fast you work through it, as opposed to starting it with a certain age. If your kid is younger and isn't getting a certain concept, there are probably a million things you can do with the C-rods to reinforce it.

And you can get the books as pdfs over at currclick for, I think, about seven bucks each, so it wouldn't be too expensive to download the first one and look it over.

My kids did chunks of Orange in K. Red had a few things that would have been too much for them. I think it depends a lot on the kid. Many of the concepts in Miquon are things that aren't introduced in most traditional math programs until later on. Miquon introduces them in a gentle and discovery-based way, but a few of the things may still be too much for some younger kids. One of the nice things about Miquon though is that it's really okay to skip around somewhat and find new things to discover. It's not a mastery curriculum, which is why it pairs nicely with something like Singapore or Math Mammoth, which both really require that children master and practice skills before moving on.

My son is in K now and we just started doing some things from the orange book. He absolutely LOVES it and so far it has not been too hard for him. I think that there are a lot of things in the orange book that are also covered in his McRuffy kindergarten math curriculum, and also many that are not. We are just jumping around to things that I think he is ready for. I also use it when he doesn't seem to be understanding a concept in his regular math program because for some reason he just gets it with Miquon and especially with the c-rods.

My son will be 4 in Dec and we are working on Miquon orange along with Mep 1A. The nice thing about the Miquon is the discovery aspect of it so it sort of lends itself to a broader age range. It's also easy to use without doing any writing and the manipulatives make it fun. We've been doing addition and he's been starting with the lab sheets and sort of going off on his own using the rods to discover all sorts of other things to do with the numbers. I haven't used SM so I can't compare but I think Miquon is very nice for a young dc that is ready for more than prek math.

Thanks all for your answers I am going to order the orange book and the c rods

Also get the three Teachers books. They are the key to using Miquon.

I would also suggest a set of base-10 "flats" so you can work on building 3 digit numbers with manipulatives.

Bill

Thanks Bill this really helps me out!!!

With the lab books alone a parent might look at the lessons and think, "what the heck?" And there is always a subset of people who never "get it." Miquon does take parental time behind the scenes to help you (and me) get some pretty advanced mathematical concepts across to children that they totally understand, and even feel they have "discovered." When this type of learning happens "they own it."

It is not in Miquon per se but along with modeling 3 digit numbers (using base-10 "flats" as 100 values) I found it extremely productive to use "math names" when starting out. So 365 is 3-Hundreds 6-Tens 5-Units and "Twelve" is 1-Ten 2-Units. This gets weird English names out of the way for the moment (we discussed both) and really helps young children begin to understand place value.

Best wishes on your math adventure!

Bill

Thanks bill for your motivations, I like miquon but it is the c rods which worry me a bit. I do not like it because you can not see the amounts it is based on colour and length. I think I will use math u see in combination with miquon is that possible ? I will certainty take your advise and will also buy the teachers guide as well and other materials

Edited by visitor

Thanks bill for your motivations, I like miquon but it is the c rods which worry me a bit. I do not like it because you can not see the amounts it is based on colour and length. I think I will use math u see in combination with miquon is that possible ? I will certainty take your advise and will also buy the teachers guide as well and other materials

Trust me (and many others on the board). The lack of marking is a benefit, not a drawback. My kids were able to quickly understand that white-1, red-2, light green-3, etc. The rods help the child see that 2 and 3 make 5 without counting the lines.

Trust me (and many others on the board). The lack of marking is a benefit, not a drawback. My kids were able to quickly understand that white-1, red-2, light green-3, etc. The rods help the child see that 2 and 3 make 5 without counting the lines.

I agree! DS was recently using them for counting and place value. He said 53, 54, fifty-yellow, 56 without missing a beat. :lol: A few more weeks and I'm sure he'll have them all memorized but as you can see, that's all the better for the conceptual part.

thanks for above tips. i was just shopping around for more curriculum for my DS1 aged 4. might look into the miquon math concepts and books. was getting singapore math essentials for him :)

I also have singapore math early bird and I like it a lot. I wanted to combine it with miquon math.

Thanks Erine, I am going to think about it and talk it out with my husband. Thanks a lot