Menu

I'm going to church tomorrow

I'm going to try a methodist church tomorrow. :)

Been on this weird spiritual journey these last few years. And I'm hoping you guys might understand where I'm coming from.

I grew up in a non denom church that was very legalistic and they very much believed they were the only ones right. There was a lot of negativity and several years ago I reached a point where I couldn't take anymore and went to a more liberal version of the same church.

The thing is, the church I came from believed these people did things that were wrong. And because of that if you left their church and went to any other one (including the liberal one) that was the same as leaving God. I wasn't able to be happy at this new church even though I liked it better.

Then I started studying about other churches and other religions. I eventually became somewhat agnostic. Developed an interest in paganism thought about leaving christianity altogether. Tried out a few different churches here and there. Just never could seem to get into anything at all. There was no where to go from the church I had left. I felt the need to go to church, but there was only one 'right' church and it was wrong.

I've been talking to my counselor about church a lot. He feels that with everything going on in my life, spirituality should be really important right now. That I need to rely on God and stop worrying. He said I should practice the 11th step of AA-- pray to know God's will and for the power to carry it out. And he thinks that me finding a church would give me a great community of support since I seem to be geared towards church.

My hope is to find a place where I might learn to love God again and have room to question things as I need to and grow from it. From what I've seen of this church, hoping it will give me a place to do that.

The Methodist church where our co-op met had a very kind pastor. My suggestion is to go to the church, but on your own read the Bible. Read it with the intent to know God. Pray for discernment and for understanding about what God wrote. Pray to understand what the Bible means to God and not "What does this mean to me?"(since we are asking what the Author of the book meant :)) Although, of course, "What does God want for me to learn from this passage?" would be a great question.

The church that we met at had lovely church music, and I almost drove in just to listen to it :) And... I love Pastor Jon :) Hope yours is wonderful! :)

I'm praying for your journey. On behalf of all formerly legalistic Christians, I offer you a true apology for the damage that it did to you and many others. God is not limited by the idiocy of His followers, and He is not worried by your questions. I hope you find a way to His heart and His shelter for you.

I'm glad you are brave enough to dip your toes in again.

I group up Methodist and my dad became a Methodist minister and youth pastor when I was in my teens.

I find the denomination very accepting (for the most part) and very middle path. My experience was that they weren't legalistic at all. As a PP said there are different flavors of Methodism. I grew up United Methodist. Oh, and they are known for their potlucks. I have a special place in my heart for potlucks. :)

I'm Methodist. I hope you find a church that meets your needs. And not all Methodist churches are the same so you may want to check a couple out.

Very true. We have had 2 very different pastors in ours in the 6 yrs we have been members, but the congregation is wonderful and unchanging. We have great potlucks too :)

I'm praying for your journey. On behalf of all formerly legalistic Christians, I offer you a true apology for the damage that it did to you and many others. God is not limited by the idiocy of His followers, and He is not worried by your questions. I hope you find a way to His heart and His shelter for you.

I'm glad you are brave enough to dip your toes in again.

sometimes I wish the forum had a "like" button. I guess instead we have this guy: :iagree:

I attended a fundamental independent Bible based Baptist church in my youth. It never fit well, but in my ignorance and lack of experiences it was what a Christian was supposed to be. As I grew in my own understanding, and in my education about the Christian faith, I realized I would never find a home in a more fundamental denomination. I have been a member of the United Church of Christ for the past seven years, and finally I found my "tribe", and a place where it all makes so much sense to me. It's the best feeling ever, and I wish it for you as well!

Cindy

The while Jesus thing is a marathon, not a sprint. Some people finish the marathon early, while people like you and I take forever. That's ok.

I come from a wacky Jesus background. I was christened Catholic. My whole extended family is nominally Catholic. My parents were angry with the Catholic Church and started listening to Jimmy Swaggart:lol:. They ended up in a very legalistic Southern Baptist church:confused:. Growing up in a seriously legalistic church did a lot of damage to my relationship with Christ. My church felt every other denomination (and even some other SBC churches) were stupid and downright wrong. It took a very long time for me to shake those beliefs. Instill struggle. It doesn't help that my parents still think I am going to hell because I'm Catholic (I'm actually Lutheran, but apparently they forgot about that whole Protestant Reformation thing;)).

Sometimes it takes a really long time to find your home in Christianity. Again, that's ok. I know I really enjoyed every Methodist church I ever visited. The best advice I can give you is to just be patient. You will eventually find your preferred flavor of Jesus. It may be a long road, but I promise you it will be worth it.

:grouphug:

We are all on a Spiritual Journey, and I hope you find a church that shows you love.

Accountability is also necessary as the Bible clearly states.

EVERYTHING SHOULD be done in LOVE!

No one is perfect, and no church is perfect because there are people there.

Still. as a Recovering Believer, I agree with the 12 steps and have worked through them in a UMC ministry.

One big prob in UMC has been Pastors being moved too much.

We have one of the best, humble, giving one ever now.

We tried a few other churches due to moving over the years and are glad to be back.

God loves you!

Potluck tomorrow!

Edited by TGHEALTHYMOM

I went this morning. And it was OK.

It's very different than what I'm used to. I come from a tradition that doesn't have music or celebrate holidays. But, yk... I'm trying. And I heard something there this morning that i needed to hear so something good came from it.