Menu

Laptop users - silly poll: touchpad or mouse?

Touchpad or Mouse?  

1. 1. Touchpad or Mouse?

• Touchpad
    • Mouse
    • Other (Pen & Touch etc,)

Do you use a touchpad or mouse? If you use a touchpad, how long did it take you to get used to it. I like the touchpad on my new laptop (Got it yesterday!! :D) much better than my old one. Now I just need to figure out how to zoom.

ETA: Touchpad users, do you have any little tricks you've learned to make mouseless computing easier?

Edited by darlasowders

It depends. I hated the touch pad on previous Toshiba, so I had this awesome wireless Microsoft Arc Touch mouse that folded flat, that I used. I've recently gotten a macbook and I'm using the touch pad on it. It's confusing as heck because you use one finger to do one thing, 2 fingers to do another, and 3 to do yet another. Sometimes I forget how many fingers to use for what and end up somewhere totally different than I wanted. Sadly, my mouse doesn't have mac OS listed on the box (probably because it's made by MS), so I haven't tried installing it. I am thinking of getting a mouse for the macbook though, because sometimes my fingers feel all crampy from the way they bend and move in relation to the keyboard. Boo.

Hate touchpad. My husband totally humored me by finding - and paying more for - a laptop that didn't have it. It has that red button thing in the middle of the keyboard instead. Much better :D.

Signed,

Happy Wife

I had a co-worker who swore by the red button thingy. I just never got used to it.

My work laptop has a textured touchpad and I have worn the texture off. However, I recently bought an ergonomic split keyboard and a Logitech Trackman that I plug into whichever laptop I am using at the moment. I love the Trackman.

Touchpad, my laptop is usually on my lap. It's been so long since I've used an actual mouse that when I do need one (gaming with DH), it takes me a while to get used to using one again. When I first started playing a RPG with him, I was always getting "stuck" behind objects in the game because I was so clumsy at using an actual mouse. :tongue_smilie:

I mainly use a laptop at my desk, so I use a mouse. I dislike where the touchpad is on this laptop because I end up hitting it when I'm typing which can make the cursor jump. I have the touchpad turned off when I'm at the desk, and I end up just being more careful if I use it other places.

I mainly use a laptop at my desk, so I use a mouse. I dislike where the touchpad is on this laptop because I end up hitting it when I'm typing which can make the cursor jump. I have the touchpad turned off when I'm at the desk, and I end up just being more careful if I use it other places.

You can turn the touchpad off????? How?? I have a laptop issued by work that is like you said --- cursor jumps when I'm typing --- and I detest using that thing so much that I just bring my personal laptop instead.

I am comfortable with a mouse or stylus/pen and tablet but I prefer not to use an external device while using my laptop. I had my first laptop when I was in university and was just too lazy to carry a PS/2 mouse as well.

I did not like the red button thing on IBM Thinkpads (for me it is too rough to the touch) . Luckily all the companies I had worked for issued me laptops with touchpads.

I like the touchpad. The first thing I've had to do with computers though is to disable all those weird touchpad shortcuts because otherwise the touchpad thinks I'm trying to double click things and open and close things every time my finger slips slightly or something.

It took me a long while to get used to the touchpad on my first laptop. The surface was very slick, so if your fingers are warm, they can stick. I have a new laptop and the touchpad is awesome, but not in tandem with Windows 8.:tongue_smilie: Windows 8, so far in my experience, is much better with a mouse.

Okay, so I'm going to going to try to go mouseless. It didn't matter much with my 17" Dell, since it was pretty unwieldy. This one is much smaller and lighter.

I keep going on little unplanned adventures though (I didn't click on that!) and selecting and dragging stuff without meaning to.

I bought ds (15) a Wacom Capture last year that he doesn't use. I might borrow that for photo editing or break down and get a mouse.

I use the touch pad but i dont remember how long it took me to get use to it. I have my left finger on the left "mouse" button and then use my right finger to "touch"/scroll on the pad. I do have a mouse for when the kids use my laptop. I turn off the touch pad for them.

Okay, I've zoomed a couple of times, and just figured out that it has a pinch zoom. Nifty! Even my son did not know that. He did set it up so scrolling is easier though.

I love love love the screen on this thing though. Everyone is so much better looking. ;)

ETA: This is SO weird. The poll is gone. Did I do that? Or am I seeing things? :confused:

Edited by darlasowders

I started out using a mouse with my MacBook because I couldn't get used to the touchpad and I use my computer for graphic design work. The best thing that happened was that my mouse broke and I couldn't pick one up for a few days. It forced me into using the touchpad and now I would never go back to a mouse. It only took two days, tops.

That being said, I've used bad touchpads and I use a mouse if I didn't have a MacBook or a similar quality touchpad.

When I first got a laptop (MacBook) with a touchpad, I detested it and complained. The complaints lasted all of a week. I now complain when I have to use a mouse. :D

I will say, though, that for me, it depends on *where* the touchpad is located.... on my Mac, it's dead center, but on the dc's laptops, it's offset a bit and I am *always* dragging the 'meat' of my hand across it when I type. I will not buy a laptop with an offset touchpad. I will go back to a mouse before I do that.

So, for me, I voted "touchpad", but that's because mine is in the center where I don't hit it while typing.

You can turn the touchpad off????? How?? I have a laptop issued by work that is like you said --- cursor jumps when I'm typing --- and I detest using that thing so much that I just bring my personal laptop instead.

I won't even pretend to act like I know what I'm talking about, but on my Mac, I have a touchpad icon under my "hardware" button (for lack of proper terminology). It's in there that I can make changes. If I think way back to when I used a pc (assuming you are using a pc), I would guess you could find what you need in the "My Computer" file and go into "Hardware" and poke around.

Maybe someone who knows more will come along with some 'real' help. :lol:

Different versions of Windows change the way you do it but it should be something like this: Control panel, hardware/sound, mouse, mouse settings...there should be a box to click that turns the touch pad off.

If you look in the bottom right hand corner of your screen in the icon area, there may be an icon for you touchpad. Mine looks like a grey box that fills in with blue when I touch the touchpad. Just hover over the various icons to see if one says "touchpad". Then click it. This should take you to the same location as the above directions.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap