Menu

Heading to walmart to splurge on cleaning supplies...faves?

I need to buy a ceiling fan duster, so i thought i would get some other can't-do-without cleaning supplies and tools in anticipation of starting the November cleaning and decluttering month on Monday.....would love to hear your favorites in the dusting, toilet cleaning, etc departments!!!

Magic erasers. I honestly don't know how I lived without them. We have them in the bathroom, kitchen, to clean walls and baseboards, on tough dishes - love them!

These have saved my arms with bathtub cleaning! And they were able to remove years of dirt that was stuck in my densely textured walls. :thumbup:

I love Mrs. Meyers products. Dh was getting a bit sick of the smell of vinegar in the kitchen, so I started getting the Mrs. Meyers cleaning spray, and it smells gooood. Especially the honeysuckle. And the geranium. Oh, and the lavender. I get the cleaning spray, the dish soap, and the concentrated cleaning stuff to use on the floors.

Method makes an all-purpose spray cleaner that comes in a wonderful ginger-pear fragrance. I use it for daily bathroom wipe-downs. Of course, if you don't like ginger, this may not be the product for you! ;) But they do make it in other rather nice fragrances as well.

Eta: Cerama-brite is another product I wouldn't be without! Sinks, tubs, stains in pots and pans, coffee stains on formica counter tops...Very handy item!

Edited by flutistmom

Pine Sol has some new citrus scents that I really like. I love the Clorox surface spray to clean the kitchen and bathroom counter tops.

I like the ceiling fan cleaners/dusters that are shaped like a sideways flattened O. Our fan blades are often horrible due to the dust associated with heating with a woodstove. That cleaner (mine is a turquoise color) really does a good job of cleaning both the top and bottom of the blade and is fuzzy enough to be able to take a few good swipes at the base mount also.

I would never have imagined to see the words splurge, favorite, and cleaning in one sentence, LOL.

We like Clorox Green Works products.

:lol:

Thanks all. I am also looking for TOOLS, so if anyine has awesomecleaning tools, please share. Will definitely get the mrs meyers and the method stuff; i forgot i liked their stuff! Love ginger :001_smile:

My big splurges are:

Swiffer and plenty of Wet Mopping Refills

Clorox or Lysol wipes

Swiffer duster

Before I started using these products, I was using a mop, bucket, rags, soapy water, and dusting spray. The Swiffer mop and duster and the wipes are so much more convenient!

Toilet wands by Clorox. :001_huh:Even my kids love using them lol.

Clorox wipes for bathrooms.:001_huh: Toilets and sinks get wiped down daily with these.

Magic erasers. Yes.

Bleach.:001_huh: I use it for the tub/shower and for whites.

White washcloths for cleaning everything.

Barkeepers friend for stainless steel pots/pans and sinks.

Endust lemon scented wood cleaner. :001_huh:I know, another harsh chemical, but it really works and keeps everything from getting dusty.

I make our all purpose cleaner-3/4 water, 1/4 alcohol, ten drops each of lemon and rosemary essential oils, and a drop of blue Dawn dish detergent to bind the oils and liquids. This cleans everything-counters, glass, table, floors, appliances, ect. It disinfects and smells lovely.

I used to ONLY clean with natural stuff, but found that for the bathroom, it wasn't enough to keep the mildew away. We live in fl and its humid here, so I really need to bleach the tub and shower at least once a week. In between I do use the all purpose cleaner or plain vinegar.

I love Mrs. Meyers products. Dh was getting a bit sick of the smell of vinegar in the kitchen, so I started getting the Mrs. Meyers cleaning spray, and it smells gooood. Especially the honeysuckle. And the geranium. Oh, and the lavender. I get the cleaning spray, the dish soap, and the concentrated cleaning stuff to use on the floors.

Ditto. I think I have her lavender concentrate, spray cleaner, hand soap, dish soap, laundry soap, abrasive cleaner...evidently, I have a Mrs. Meyers problem.

I'm sort of a freak about cleaning. I have products in the kitchen, each bathroom, and the laundry room.

One thing I find essential is a bathroom caddy to keep a roll of paper towels, cleaners, and gloves in.

Bleach for toilets

Sponges

a brush wtih long handle for scrubbing bathtubs and showers

cleaning gloves

Method all purpose surface cleaner

Bona hardwood floor mop

bar keepers friend

green scouring pads for my gas range

lots of white dish rags

I like the whole Swiffer line. I just bought, I think it's the 360 extendable duster... for all the dust and tiny cobwebs in corners of the ceiling. And I think it'll work well for the ceiling fans too.

I also like Pledge Multi Surface cleaner... you can use it on almost anything.

:iagree: Love Mrs. Meyers!

Mrs. Meyers Clean Day all the way!!!

:D

FOr me I always buy magic erasers, scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner and mr. clean (either the purple or the orange) when I buy cleaning stuff. Those 3 things can get everything in my house as clean as I like and smelling great. Occasionally I buy VIM as well. Straight vim is great for those stains that even the magic eraser can't fix. Like the day the food coloring got spilled on the kitchen floor and no one tld me until it had time to really set a stain on the lino.

` Microfiber cloths

` A telescoping pole that has a universal adapter at the end for attachments (I use this one for dusting inside, washing outside windows, and using a cobweb attachement for outside)

` ostrich feather duster

` professional quality squeegee with a replaceable rubber blade

` micro vacuum attachment kit

Hmm, I know there are more.......:tongue_smilie:

` Microfiber cloths

` A telescoping pole that has a universal adapter at the end for attachments (I use this one for dusting inside, washing outside windows, and using a cobweb attachement for outside)

` ostrich feather duster

` professional quality squeegee with a replaceable rubber blade

` micro vacuum attachment kit

Hmm, I know there are more.......:tongue_smilie:

YES on the microfiber cloths. The automotive section often has them much cheaper than the cleaning supplies section. I use these lots.

What is a micro vacuum attachment kit and why do I want one?:D

Most of my cleaning supplies are Amway products, so I can't help you with WalMart. :)

However, I use a dry sponge for cleaning lampshades and other upholstered pieces of furniture which need to be dusted even though you don't think they do, lol. I don't know if you can find one at WalMart or not. I also use a little brush to dust the few tchtchkes I have.

Bona is good for hardwood floors.

That's all I got, lol.

I like using the microfiber rags from the auto department. Walmart has them in blue/white packs that are very cheap. They work great for floors, windows, general cleaning, wiping up spills, quieting drips in buckets, you name it. I found some at Target that are orange and even bigger. They're both good though. Car department is the trick, where they keep stuff for detailing. :D

Libman spray mop with an extra canister. I keep one filled with Bona for the hardwood floors and one filled with Mrs. Meyer's all-purpose cleaner for the tile floors. The Mrs. Meyer's comes in a big 32 ounce concentrate bottle and you just mix it with water. I used the lavender scent for years, but lately I've been buying the rosemary. The bottles of concentrate are a little pricy but they last me for 6-8 months. I also use it (diluted) in a spray bottle for cleaning the table, counters, sinks, etc. It's my go-to cleaning product!

Seventh Generation makes a nice toilet cleaner, lemon oil for furniture, Bon Ami if you need to really scrub a sink or tub, and of course the Magic Erasers. All good stuff.

Which mrs meyers scent do you like the best? I am ordering Lavender for the bathroom cleaner, but want something different for the kitchen. Honeysuckle? Geranium?

Well, it sort of varies depending on the day. :tongue_smilie: If I had to pick just one, I'd probably go with geranium. It has a deeper, more complex fragrance, whereas the honeysuckle is lighter and has a more bright, flowery smell. If you like your dish soap to double as a mood booster though, the honeysuckle might be a better choice. Very summery and happy. ;)

Well, it sort of varies depending on the day. :tongue_smilie: If I had to pick just one, I'd probably go with geranium. It has a deeper, more complex fragrance, whereas the honeysuckle is lighter and has a more bright, flowery smell. If you like your dish soap to double as a mood booster though, the honeysuckle might be a better choice. Very summery and happy. ;)

Thanks!! I cant smell them in person (ordering on Amazon). Also, thanks for the suggestion of the microfiber rag. I have wanted to reduce my paper towel use, but hadnt found regular rags to be acceptable. Also, i find they are MUCH better at cleaning my stainless steel appliances and leaving no streaks. I also bought Clorox Green Cleaner but dont really care for the smell but it does clean very well, even my glass cooktop.

I also bought some organic cleaningn wipes, seventh generation I believe, that have a Thyme smell.....blechy. Doesnt work for me. Too odd. I will use them up, but wont rebuy. Weird, as i usually like Seventh Generation.

Which mrs meyers scent do you like the best? I am ordering Lavender for the bathroom cleaner, but want something different for the kitchen. Honeysuckle? Geranium?

Those are all lovely. The lemon verbena is also nice, if a bit sharp.

I wasn't so fond of the basil scent. I really liked it for a few weeks, but then it started to strike me as almost...composty. Not in a terrible way, but I detected an undertone of overripeness.

Those are all lovely. The lemon verbena is also nice, if a bit sharp.

I wasn't so fond of the basil scent. I really liked it for a few weeks, but then it started to strike me as almost...composty. Not in a terrible way, but I detected an undertone of overripeness.

Thanks. I cant really do Lemon scents....they always remind me of PineSol, too sharp. And I bet the Basil would remind me a bit of the Seventh Generation Thyme Wipes I just bought...too musty or something. I cant put my finger on it, but it sounds like the Basil.

Ahhh... Finally a subject I know all about! I clean older ladies' houses part time and I have for about ten years.

My can't live without supplies:

Swiffer dusters- don't buy generic, they aren't as good as the Swiffer brand

Mr Clean Magic Erasers- these clean anything

Windex- original Windex is great for almost anything

Clorox Clean Up- spray this in toilets and showers, tubs, etc. then go back a few minutes later and scrub with Comet- it will make your scrubbing much easier. I don't use this in kitchens though. Many surfaces can't tolerate it.

Star mop, washable mopping pads/pole that you can use on hardwoods and tile

Swiffer wet mop pads. These are great for many types of floors, and you can see when the pad is clean, the floor is clean.

I have tried many many types of green cleaners and keep going back to these because they save time and money.

Good luck!

INVISIBLE GLASS!!!

It is THE BEST window cleaner in the universe. Bought at Target, walmart, etc.. Sometimes I have to go looking in the automotive area, but it's totally awesome. Hubby keeps stealing them from me to do the car windows-- I completely will FIGHT him over the stuff. He KNOWS not to take my window cleaner! He can go get his own!

I really love those as well. I am not sure if they have them at Walmart but I have seen them at Target.

Thanks. I cant really do Lemon scents....they always remind me of PineSol, too sharp. And I bet the Basil would remind me a bit of the Seventh Generation Thyme Wipes I just bought...too musty or something. I cant put my finger on it, but it sounds like the Basil.

The Basil doesn't smell as herbaceous as one would expect, it is one of my favorites from them. They use blends rather than a straight scent some of the seventh generation items. I have some of their cleaner that smells like I dumped out a spice jar. I have added essential oil to doctor that up a bit. :lol: I like both 7th generation and Mrs Meyers. 7th generation seems to be on sale more often and has coupons more often.

Edited by Sis

I really love those as well. I am not sure if they have them at Walmart but I have seen them at Target.

Oh darn. I didnt think to check there when i was in the area today. Oh well, that's okay. DH recently splurged on Amazon Prime so we will get our stuff on Wed. I am actually a little worried about having Amazon Prime. Seems like incentive to buy more stuff!!!!!:glare:

Oh, and I miss Mrs. Meyers. The geranium scent was my favourite. Yum.

We have limited Method items here in the supermarket, the rest (are you ready for this?) you have to purchase through a consultant. Like it's Avon or something. Method???? Through a consultant???? :confused: They are crazy! I found a place I can order the hand soap online with cheap shipping, that was what I missed the most. :) Sweet water, yum.

Oh darn. I didnt think to check there when i was in the area today. Oh well, that's okay. DH recently splurged on Amazon Prime so we will get our stuff on Wed. I am actually a little worried about having Amazon Prime. Seems like incentive to buy more stuff!!!!!:glare:

Oh..I guess I am wrong. They do have it at some stores.

The thyme stuff grew on me. It is a natural disinfectant.

I like the seventh generation bathroom cleaner. One of them has enzymes and it cleans a boy's toilet nicely.

Bac-Out is another favorite.

And, no one mentioned air in a can. That stuff is pretty awesome for electronics and strange areas.