Menu

Article on SWB in today’s Washington Post magazine

It's so nice to see a homeschooling article that recognizes that homeschoolers are NOT all conservative Christians and that many of us are here for academic reasons even if we ARE!

Way to go, Susan! And, since I can't say it often enough, THANK YOU for providing everything you do to the homeschooling community.

I guess I am mostly unaware of the "Christian controversy" with people saying that in order to join our group, you need to be a "certain" Christian. We have a group with 30 or so families and I have no idea where most of them attend church. I have no idea if they are patriarchal, how they vote, or what curriculum they use. The only thing we require is that in order to be in a leadership position, you need to agree to a basic statement of Christian faith. You don't have to sign it to be a member. Maybe it's due to the fact that we mostly live in a fairly liberal, "go public schools - aren't they great" kind of town. We are very fringe and maybe that leads us to not be concerned about trivial things. It is sad that SWB who obviously has much wisdom to share wouldn't feel welcome. It's sad that we can't be grown-ups and know enough about what we believe to get gems from great speakers even if we don't agree with everything they say.

Beth

I kind of laughed at the nice comment from the Home Educators of Virginia president -- isn't HEAV one of the worst offenders for restricting speech and being rude to SWB?

Then I really perked up when I read about her fun plans for next year! An agrotourism/agroeducation business in her community! Does that mean she'll be on hand to help teach farming to homeschooled kids?

I kind of laughed at the nice comment from the Home Educators of Virginia president -- isn't HEAV one of the worst offenders for restricting speech and being rude to SWB?

The person quoted in the story represents the Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers, not HEAV (Home Educators Association of Virginia).

Seventh paragraph, first page:

"Susan is very well known and popular," says Anne Miller, president of the Home Educators Association of Virginia (HEAV).

Not necessarily a "nice" comment so much as a statement of fact. I could say the same about any number of people I dislike but who have a strong following. :)

I guess I am mostly unaware of the "Christian controversy" with people saying that in order to join our group, you need to be a "certain" Christian. We have a group with 30 or so families and I have no idea where most of them attend church. I have no idea if they are patriarchal, how they vote, or what curriculum they use.

Beth

I think this really depends on where you live. Some places have better HSing communities than others. Around here it's no man's land despite being a large city. And the groups that do crop up are very paranoid of each other-- too this or that etc..

Then I really perked up when I read about her fun plans for next year! An agrotourism/agroeducation business in her community! Does that mean she'll be on hand to help teach farming to homeschooled kids?

I thought the reason she stopped speaking at the HEAV convention was because of a dispute about the recording and distribution of her talks. Maybe there was more to it that I didn't hear about. I know the NC people won't invite her because she's not the right kind of Christian. :glare:

SWB is such an admirable person. Even though I am a different brand of Christian, have moved away from TWM, etc, etc. I still think she has made an invaluable contribution to American culture. And I love her writing series! I just totally think she rocks! Thanks for sharing the article.

I thought the same thing. They're a super Christian group. That's why I dig Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers. Totally inclusive. And the person from VA Homeschoolers that they quoted (Ann Clay) just happens to be fantastic!

I feel really fortunate to live in a place where we have an "eclectic" homeschool group. It's just about homeschoolers getting together--it's not about reinforcing or instilling beliefs, so they don't care what you believe or how you homeschool, just that you show up to park day. That is exactly what I need out of a homeschool group. Nothing more. :thumbup:

I got goosebumps reading the article. :001_smile: I don't follow the WTM as much as I want to, but I am grateful for SWB's work and her generosity in making this forum available and for all the fantastic folk who come here to share their wisdom. And I love her intellectual vigor, her courage to stand true to her beliefs and not back down when close-minded people hurl unfounded abuse at her. A well-written article too. Thanks so much for sharing.

That's an interesting article. It's also sobering to think of the reality facing us. The polarization and reactive nature aren't just in the homeschooling world. It seems like the church as a whole has a problem looming.

I am so very thankful she is publishing Enn's curriculum materials. I think his Telling God's Story book and the plan it outlines for grounding our children and teens in the faith is excellent and I've never heard it anywhere else. I think, in fact, his thoughts may be the best chance to correct the issues that are leading kids to leave the church when they are older. http://www.barna.org/teens-next-gen-articles/528-six-reasons-young-christians-leave-church Barna did a study on why they leave. Reading Enns book gives me hope it could be helped. But it would take a wide turn from the tendencies Christians as a whole are displaying right now.

I very much appreciate SWB. Funny thing, about 6-7 years ago when I first found and read TWTM, I was so excited. I immed. handed it off to a few hsing friends, telling them how I devoured all 700+ (not really sure how many pages) pages of it. They smiled at me and handed it back a few days later, leafed-through or basically, unread. And I realized - "oh my, I am a bit odd" in my thoughts and homeschooling beliefs.

When I first read it, I could not believe that someone had written a book that explained my hope, my thoughts and my desire for homeschooling. I was ecstatic to find a resource that explained and gave a roadmap for what I wanted, desired but couldn't articulate or flesh out.

However, I thought the article focused a little more on the divisiveness of hsing "factions" rather than the amazing opportunities and family- or interest-centric lifestyle it allows. (not a certain "kind of family" just a "together all day" kind of life). I would have appreciated an article that talked more about SWB's amazing contributions and her leadership.

It seemed SWB's comment about her new farm/tourism ideas as being more "mid-career switch" was downplayed a little so the article could highlight "disunity among homeschooling factions" (paraphrase). Having homeschooled since 1996, I am very tired. I am close to burn out. I find this common around maybe 80%+ of my hsing friends who have been at it this long. So, I wonder how much of SWB's fatigue is part of the "natural life" of a longtime homeschooler?

Just some thoughts. I am possibly very different in lifestyle/theology than SWB, but I am completely a thankful fan of her work and leadership of classical homeschooling!

Lisaj, mom to 5

I loved this article.... but surely I wasn't the ONLY one who had a moment of panic when the article closed off by suggesting that SWB would be moving on from the homeschooling realm? Including writing?

I could NOT imagine homeschooling without her works.... lets hope she gets very tired of watching zinnia's grow and continues writing.... :)

I loved this article.... but surely I wasn't the ONLY one who had a moment of panic when the article closed off by suggesting that SWB would be moving on from the homeschooling realm? Including writing?

I could NOT imagine homeschooling without her works.... lets hope she gets very tired of watching zinnia's grow and continues writing.... :)

No you are not alone! I ran to the paper box to pull out the post and read it.

Two things struck me.

1. I feel so very unaccomplished because we are both the same age and she has done so much. :tongue_smilie:

2. I get frustrated with the homeschool community since I feel like religion, for a non-believer, is so hard to escape in almost all hs literature and curriculum. I am so thankful that SWB made it there but just not THERE. Know what I mean?

It was a great story; I thought this headline wasn't so good. Jessie can be rightly described as a pioneer of the home school movement, but Susan is only a pioneer as Jessie's child. Even classical education already had some books published on it when the WTM appeared. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I remember the pioneers and they were all prior to the 90s.

Although I do remember how astounded I was by Norton being her publisher when her book appeared in my local store. Norton! Glad they found acceptable NYC clothes in Richmond.

Yes, lovely article.

I think Susan has done much to make the home school community feel inclusive. Look at us here on this board! Many of us not only respect the differences of each other but we learn from them. No homeschool group in my area offers such a "big tent".

So three cheers for Susan! And applause to the Post for the great article and accompanying photo gallery.

I guess I am mostly unaware of the "Christian controversy" with people saying that in order to join our group, you need to be a "certain" Christian. We have a group with 30 or so families and I have no idea where most of them attend church. I have no idea if they are patriarchal, how they vote, or what curriculum they use. The only thing we require is that in order to be in a leadership position, you need to agree to a basic statement of Christian faith. You don't have to sign it to be a member. Maybe it's due to the fact that we mostly live in a fairly liberal, "go public schools - aren't they great" kind of town. We are very fringe and maybe that leads us to not be concerned about trivial things. It is sad that SWB who obviously has much wisdom to share wouldn't feel welcome. It's sad that we can't be grown-ups and know enough about what we believe to get gems from great speakers even if we don't agree with everything they say.

Beth

You're right that a lot of areas it really isn't a big deal. But just the faith statement already excludes Catholics and LDS homeschoolers usually. They are made for that very purpose honestly so while I could technically still attend our local co-op that has a faith statement I cannot in good conscience sign I won't because I am not wanting to support a group that doesn't consider me a Christian because I am Catholic. My husband didn't even feel comfortable with it and he's Lutheran, so it's not even that they're allowing all Protestants, it's more like the 'right' kind of Protestants, kwim?

I loved the article, thanks! I really hope Susan doesn't take a long break though, eek! I understand the need for a break, but man I really love her writing and her audio stuff from the conferences, it always helps me clarify my thoughts and get back on track with my academic goals for homeschooling.

I thought it was fantastic and so did my dad. I appreciated how real it was -- how down-to-earth she seemed.

If I only ever read her books, I would have a different sense about her. I am still awed by how much she accomplishes, but having met her and having read this article, I am more able to see her as a mom like us trying to do the best thing (she only does more :lol:). I have so much respect for her.

Me, too!

Please, please let her finish the second volume of Writing with Skill. Anyone know when it's due out?

That can NOT be the same Emily. I remember when SWB was pregnant with her! Sure, sure my kids are getting older. Why is it so disconcerting when you realize other people's kids are getting big so quickly?

:iagree: I thought the same thing! But my 11 yo is almost as tall as me, so why wouldn't SWB's 11 yo be almost as tall as her mom? :001_smile: