Menu

Needing crochet help

I am new to crocheting. I started off watching YouTube videos and thought I could tackle a easy pattern. There is something on the pattern that I don't understand. This is the pattern http://www.favecrafts.com/Crochet-Sweaters/Hairpin-Lace-Shawl-from-Red-Heart#

The part I am not getting is "Join yarn in first group of first strip, ch 6" where do I join, where do I put the ch 6?

Thanks for any help

Never used a lace loom myself but I think this is what it's telling you to do. You make the 5 strips with the loom. You need to join the strips. You take a strip and join the yarn to it. (There are different ways to join the yarn, look up a way that you prefer.) You will join at the first stitch of your strip. Then you make a 6 st chain and put a sc in the space made from the ch-6 on the strip. The ch-6 is where the holes for the lace come from. Does that help?

Never used a lace loom myself but I think this is what it's telling you to do. You make the 5 strips with the loom. You need to join the strips. You take a strip and join the yarn to it. (There are different ways to join the yarn, look up a way that you prefer.) You will join at the first stitch of your strip. Then you make a 6 st chain and put a sc in the space made from the ch-6 on the strip. The ch-6 is where the holes for the lace come from. Does that help?

I have made the 5 strips, but I am not sure where to join them. Is it at the end of 10 where I joined in the middle of the end? Is it at the beginning of the 6 ch on the side? That is what I am having problems with understanding..where exactly would I join the strip? Do I join it where ever I want? Do I join with a slip stitch? Thanks for your help

To me, it looks like you join on the end at the ch-6 and a slip stitch is fine. Think about the final construction of the item when joining. You are making a big rectangle. So you need to join the long sides together.

Ok thank you that makes sense.

I taught myself to crochet a number of years ago, but I've never used a lace loom. What is it like? Is it hard on the hands? I tried some doilies, and it was hard on my fingers.

So joins are easy, but what you're starting with is definitely not a beginner project. Good for you for getting as far as you have! :)