Menu

Antivirus Software

We used the free version of AVG, for approximately 10 years. Then, in April (?) 2012, there was a huge upgrade, that did not work on our M$ Windows XP boxes and we were unable to surf the web.

We uninstalled that and after reading reviews, we installed the free version of Avast. It seems to work well and does not seem to cause issues.

Based on that, I would recommend the Free versions of Avast or AVG.

Uninstall what you have now, before you install another anti virus program.

Avira or Avast, both free.

We've used Avira on all of our home computers for several years.

I recently read a review (Consumer Reports? a computer mag?) that gave Avast the highest rating for free anti-virus software. If I was starting from scratch, I might consider it. I've used it in the past, but it slowed down my older PC. That was a long time ago, and I'd be willing to try Avast again based on the magazine ratings.

Could you give more details about why norton is a scam?

There are plenty of excellent free ones out there. Norton doesn't catch a lot of viruses in my experience and it charges you annually for it's product.

Almost every computer I have ever fixed from a virus was running Norton.

I have never had a virus crash in all the years I've owned computers and I have never used an antivirus that charges me.

I use Panda for general protection, but the ONLY thing that stops me from getting computer viruses is Malware Bytes. Until I put that on my computer I was regularly getting viruses.

One of my businesses is as a writer for online companies, so I do visit a lot of websites for research--maybe that is why I need greater protection, but I went from being infected frequently to no infections whatsoever as soon as I put Malware Bytes on :)

There are plenty of excellent free ones out there. Norton doesn't catch a lot of viruses in my experience and it charges you annually for it's product.

Almost every computer I have ever fixed from a virus was running Norton.

I have never had a virus crash in all the years I've owned computers and I have never used an antivirus that charges me.

Norton also slowed my computer down.

MS Security Essentials, but it's not enough. I highly recommend MalwareBytes. The paid version with the live protection. IMO it is very much worth it.

I also run Malwarebytes and Spybot (the free ones) from time to time to clean up junk. Malwarebytes was the only program that removed a horrid virus from my husband's computer.

We use Norton. I am really ticked at it right now. All our computers have been hijacked by ask.com. It's nearly impossible to get rid of. I've been researching, and at least part of the problem is that Norton is adding it. I've been able to get part of it's annoyance off, but it appears that to fully remove it I have to disable Norton itself.

"Leading search engine Ask.com, an operating business of IAC (Nasdaq: IACI) with 76 million monthly unique users, and Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC), whose Norton brand is the world’s security market share leader for consumer software and services, today announced a multi-year, strategic partnership to deliver the best answers and even safer search results on the Web."

We use Norton. I am really ticked at it right now. All our computers have been hijacked by ask.com. It's nearly impossible to get rid of. I've been researching, and at least part of the problem is that Norton is adding it. I've been able to get part of it's annoyance off, but it appears that to fully remove it I have to disable Norton itself.

"Leading search engine Ask.com, an operating business of IAC (Nasdaq: IACI) with 76 million monthly unique users, and Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC), whose Norton brand is the world’s security market share leader for consumer software and services, today announced a multi-year, strategic partnership to deliver the best answers and even safer search results on the Web."

Download free Malwarebytes and Spybot. What you have are not viruses. Sometimes you can also delete the search engine from your list in your settings.

I also run Malwarebytes and Spybot (the free ones) from time to time to clean up junk. Malwarebytes was the only program that removed a horrid virus from my husband's computer.

Malwarebytes has saved my bacon twice. They have a nice tool for getting back into a pc that has been taken over by very bad malware when nothing else will work. It's free, but if you didn't already have MWB installed (it's free BTW - you only have to pay for the full version if you want live protection), you need a clean computer to use to make a stick with their tool on it. If you have MWB installed (but got infected because it wasn't the live protection version), you only have to boot in safe mode and go into the folder where their tool is kept and start it. Much easier than having to make a stick elsewhere. Since I paid for the full version and turned on live protection, it has stopped many things from crawling onto my PC. All it takes is hitting a server that has been infected with some stealth malware, and those things jump on fast. Now that I see how frequently it stops things, I don't want to be without it. I paid again to put it on the PC our kids use. It's worth the money for the stress and time it saves me from all the times the kids manage to get malware. BTW each time there was an infection, MS Security Essentials was in live protection mode....but it doesn't stop malware.

I use norton on my laptop, that seems to work fine. I used to use Avg and nothing else but got fed up with how slow it made any computer it ran on plus a recent version of Avg did not work at all well so I jumped ship to Norton. I've not had a virus on my computer in at least 10yrs.

Edited by lailasmum

Malwarebytes has saved my bacon twice. They have a nice tool for getting back into a pc that has been taken over by very bad malware when nothing else will work. It's free, but if you didn't already have MWB installed (it's free BTW - you only have to pay for the full version if you want live protection), you need a clean computer to use to make a stick with their tool on it. If you have MWB installed (but got infected because it wasn't the live protection version), you only have to boot in safe mode and go into the folder where their tool is kept and start it. Much easier than having to make a stick elsewhere. Since I paid for the full version and turned on live protection, it has stopped many things from crawling onto my PC. All it takes is hitting a server that has been infected with some stealth malware, and those things jump on fast. Now that I see how frequently it stops things, I don't want to be without it. I paid again to put it on the PC our kids use. It's worth the money for the stress and time it saves me from all the times the kids manage to get malware. BTW each time there was an infection, MS Security Essentials was in live protection mode....but it doesn't stop malware.

This is the type of stuff I need to learn. I have no clue about booting in safe mode and extra pockets, etc.

I assumed you get an antivirus software and keep Windows firewall on and you're good to know. Evidently that's not the case.

This is the type of stuff I need to learn. I have no clue about booting in safe mode and extra pockets, etc.

I assumed you get an antivirus software and keep Windows firewall on and you're good to know. Evidently that's not the case.

Yes, our horrid virus could only be fixed by running malware bytes in safe mode