Menu

Just wanted to warn any and all who have their kids enrolled or who think they might.

After homeschooling my three children from the beginning through grades 7, 8, and 10th, we moved from Illinois to Tennessee. The year before moving we enrolled in HomeLife Academy.

After the move, it was decided that the kids should attend public school. Their dad and I divorced and he insisted they go.

My youngest started 8th grade, my next oldest started freshman. No problems. My oldest- starting as a junior was made to take tests to prove her credits thus far. She failed all but one- English.

I know she learned and she made good grades. She worked hard and did well. She's never been a "pro" at tests. Anyhow- the school has just informed us she has ONE credit so far and will be put into freshman (with her younger brother- by two years) after Christmas.

Since it is impossible to go back and earn all the credits again within a reasonable amount of time, allowing her to graduate with her class next year- we will be pulling her out after Christmas and allow her to go for her GED.

She will be missing all her new friends, proms, and of course--- WALKING with her class... Actually walking at all!!!!

Her Spanish that she worked so hard on for two years and made nothing but A's??? Rosetta Stone... No credit there either!

Challenge A that she did in 9th grade- nothing.

Biology online? Nothing.

We're furious.... Would be the understatement of the century!!!

So- PLEASE be careful enrolling- ESPECIALLY if your child isn't an awesome test-taker!!!

I would love to see how many of the other juniors in her school, if made to take the same tests, just how many would fail???

Tennessee schools care nothing about genuine education. They prep and prep their students for tests. That's basically all. My youngest told me the other day they are going to have a huge test, so they are studying a lot. When us the test???? FEBRUARY!!!!

High test scores = more tax dollars for their school.

So who's to blame??? My guess would be a but of both---

The Tennessee school system as well as home life academy.

----------

Is there any other way any of you see for us to have her graduate?

Thanks.

You might consider American School of Correspondence. She could go for either a full diploma there, or credit recovery. I don't know if she could do the credit recovery in time to walk with her PS class, but she might be able to walk the next year, or if she completes the full program at AS, at least it would be an accredited diploma instead of a GED. It is very affordable.

https://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/independentstudy

I am so sorry for all you are going through. I know it must be difficult for you and your daughter. I have no experience in your situation and can't imagine the stress you are dealing with. My only advice to you is, do what you can to get her a high school diploma instead of a GED. Would K12 be an option? I know nothing about their program other than it is a virtual school sponsored by different public schools (or that's the way I understood it.)

Good luck with whatever you and your family decide!

BEST if you can talk with someone who thoroughly understands the ins-and-outs of TN educational law and can advise you!

Here are the TN regulations -- pages 5-6 have what seem to be the pertinent regulations. This is the one that seems most pertinent:

(11) Students Transferring from One School to Another...

(b) principals shall allow credit for work transferred from other schools only wen substantiated by official transcripts. Students transferring from schools which are not approved by the TN State Board of Educaiton or by comparable agencies shall be allowed credit only when they have passed comprehensive written examinations approved, administerd, and graded by the principal. Student scores from a recognized standardized test may substitute for the required comprehensive written examinations."

And from home page of the Homelife Academy website, it sounds as though it would be what would exempt you from those tests, as it is providing the official transcripts:

"Families in all fifty states can join and benefit from Homelife Academy's record keeping, transcript, diploma, and counseling services, but only parent-teachers in TN, FL, and CO, will be exempt from state registration."

What do the Homelife Academy counselors say? What did they advise you when you first arrived? Why did they have your DD take the tests? Is this a requirement by the administration to be admitted to that specific high school? Could she enroll elsewhere? What about bypassing the high school -- church school, virtual school or homeschool options? Online accredited distance learning? Dual enrollment?

So sorry you got hit with this nasty surprise! BEST of luck in finding a knowledgeable person to come alongside and help walk you through your options! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Just wanted to warn any and all who have their kids enrolled or who think they might.

After homeschooling my three children from the beginning through grades 7, 8, and 10th, we moved from Illinois to Tennessee. The year before moving we enrolled in HomeLife Academy.

After the move, it was decided that the kids should attend public school. Their dad and I divorced and he insisted they go.

My youngest started 8th grade, my next oldest started freshman. No problems. My oldest- starting as a junior was made to take tests to prove her credits thus far. She failed all but one- English.

I know she learned and she made good grades. She worked hard and did well. She's never been a "pro" at tests. Anyhow- the school has just informed us she has ONE credit so far and will be put into freshman (with her younger brother- by two years) after Christmas.

Since it is impossible to go back and earn all the credits again within a reasonable amount of time, allowing her to graduate with her class next year- we will be pulling her out after Christmas and allow her to go for her GED.

She will be missing all her new friends, proms, and of course--- WALKING with her class... Actually walking at all!!!!

Her Spanish that she worked so hard on for two years and made nothing but A's??? Rosetta Stone... No credit there either!

Biology online? Nothing.

So- PLEASE be careful enrolling- ESPECIALLY if your child isn't an awesome test-taker!!!

I would love to see how many of the other juniors in her school, if made to take the same tests, just how many would fail???

Tennessee schools care nothing about genuine education. They prep and prep their students for tests. That's basically all. My youngest told me the other day they are going to have a huge test, so they are studying a lot. When us the test???? FEBRUARY!!!!

High test scores = more tax dollars for their school.

----------

Is there any other way any of you see for us to have her graduate?

Thanks.

Instead of ps, you could try a private school (more likely to accept your homeschool transcript), K12 or other virtual online school, or just go via dual enrollment at the CC. (many of the TN CCs have middle college high schools on their campus.) The CCs only focus on placement via the Compass test (which is not difficult and only covers math and English) or the ACT. Here is a link to one http://www.chattanoogastate.edu/high-school/middle-college/

Also, :confused: I am very confused by your post. I put my suggestions first b/c I hope they are helpful and I was afraid that you might not read them if you read the rest of my post first b/c of how upset you are. I understand that you are frustrated b/c the ps required testing to validate coursework (which is unfortunate b/c it is not an accurate measure) But I am unsure how Home Life Academy at fault? We used them when we lived in TN and they were simply a record-keeping type umbrella (unless they have dramatically changed and have started offering their own online classes that they teach??? It also sounds like you were only enrolled w/them for about a yr?) Unless you had been enrolled in an accredited correspondence type school where the ps would have recognized the courses as accredited, I'm not sure how the outcome would have been any different via a different umbrella.

Hope you find a solution that does not place your 11th grader back in 9th grade.

What is her dad willing to consider, based on this latest info from ps? Does he think it's a valid assessment? (Divorce can be ugly--is he blaming you?) Would he consider allowing her to continue hsing for the next 1.5 years?

How devastating for your dd, knowing that this is what level the ps thinks she is. I hope that you can easily figure out a solution for her.:grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug: I'd look for a private school in your situation, but I'd also be cautious about thinking she had the knowledge necessary for higher level classes if she can't demonstrate it. Having the knowledge will be necessary if she's looking toward college afterward.

Here, at my district in PA, if I had decided to go from homeschooling into high school ALL students have to start in 9th grade as they won't allow credit by testing. This would have even applied to my top 1% ACT middle son who had As in cc classes (they would allow credit for the cc classes, but not the "home" taught classes).

Using Rosetta Stone is the one major regret I have with homeschooling. Oldest couldn't test into a second semester class at college after doing RS for 4 years here at home and getting straight As on their computer graded system. You're not alone there. It's not a good program IMO.

But back to my advice, try a private school if you can. :grouphug:

Here, at my district in PA, if I had decided to go from homeschooling into high school ALL students have to start in 9th grade as they won't allow credit by testing. This would have even applied to my top 1% ACT middle son who had As in cc classes (they would allow credit for the cc classes, but not the "home" taught classes).

This is true here also UNLESS you provide a transcript from an accredited high school or test out. They have to have those EOC scores. So Kolbe, American School, NARHS, etc. would work here. We are using Kolbe for this very reason, though honestly I'm sorry but I can't see them giving 9th grade credit for Challenge A or much credit for Rosetta Stone. Not sure about Clonara or NAHRS though.

Clearly Home Life Academy did not provide you with this service for whatever reason. It looks like they should have though? The website is a little confusing/misleading. :grouphug:

So options...

-Call NAHRS, Clonara (there are certainly others, also) and see if you can prepare the needed materials that will allow them to transcript her previous work. (this will likely be pricey, so the unschoolers I know tell me:001_smile:)

-continue to homeschool but do dual enrollment. This might appease her father and give her a boost.

-Go through American School (with or without dual enrollment) - they have a basic program that is easy to get through. Keystone is another option that has more depth. (make sure this does not affect In-State scholarships!)

-Try a private school. We have plenty here that take your transcript, no questions asked.

-Start in the PS in 9th and accelerate. Here there is an online public high school that you can take free classes through as long as you are enrolled in PS. They are...easy.

For example Latin 1 consists of the first 3 declensions and a few conjugations, lol.

You can also take classes from other online high schools like muhigh and Nebraska and transcript those. These are typically easy to get through and have a very finite list of things to accomplish. It might take 3 years instead of 2 but sometimes this is not a bad thing.

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with all of this. :grouphug:

hth,

Georgia

Edited by Georgia in NC

This is true here also UNLESS you provide a transcript from an accredited high school or test out. They have to have those EOC scores. So Kolbe, American School, NARHS, etc. would work here. We are using Kolbe for this very reason, though honestly I'm sorry but I can't see them giving 9th grade credit for Challenge A or much credit for Rosetta Stone. Not sure about Clonara or NAHRS though.

Clearly Home Life Academy did not provide you with this service for whatever reason. It looks like they should have though? The website is a little confusing/misleading. :grouphug:

Home Life Academy is not accredited. Details on this page:

http://www.homelifeacademy.com/faq/faq-misc.aspx#q2

They are a category IV church related school.

"We do not seek state accreditation for several reasons. You will be considered a private teacher for HomeLife Academy and not a "homeschooler" under TN state law. This allows you to have maximum freedom to develop an educational plan that will cater to the specific needs of your student(s). However, the drawback is that if you decide to transfer from a Category IV, church-related school to a public school, the public school has the right to test your student(s) for grade placement, to make sure they are ready for the grade level you say they are. This is usually not a problem, however. In ten years, I have never actually talked to a parent whose child was put back a year because of the grade placement test. Still, we generally recommend home education as a long term solution and not a short one."

In TN, the only automatic transfer of credits is between SACS accredited schools. No program that allows uncertified individuals to be teachers of record can be accredited by SACS, and they don't recognize home study in any form except for temporary homebound for medical reasons, done by a certified teacher. Technically, ANY grade level can require testing to reenter. In practice, as you've discovered, most school districts don't bother before high school, but get pretty picky in high school. TN law is very, very liberal about setting up a private school, but much less so about accepting transfers from one.

In general, it's easier to get into college with a homeschool transcript, whether it's from an umbrella or from being registered with the district, than it is to get back into public high school. And if you go with an out of state, distance learning program, you make yourself ineligible for the HOPE scholarship in TN. So, basically, the rule of thumb is that if you start HSing high school in TN, you're stuck doing it yourself until the student enters college.

It sounds like HLA's counselors steered you wrong/were overly optimistic-but the fact is that ultimately, they just provide recordkeeping and a service to send records to schools. It's up to the student to provide the proof that they've actually learned the content, and unless you've made an effort to do those tests through a third-party ongoing, it's likely to be a one-shot deal, which is going to be very, very hard for most students to pass, simply because you're not going to remember everything you did in Algebra I when you're working on Calculus.

Home Life Academy is not accredited. Details on this page:

http://www.homelifeacademy.com/faq/faq-misc.aspx#q2

They are a category IV church related school.

"We do not seek state accreditation for several reasons. You will be considered a private teacher for HomeLife Academy and not a "homeschooler" under TN state law. This allows you to have maximum freedom to develop an educational plan that will cater to the specific needs of your student(s). However, the drawback is that if you decide to transfer from a Category IV, church-related school to a public school, the public school has the right to test your student(s) for grade placement, to make sure they are ready for the grade level you say they are. This is usually not a problem, however. In ten years, I have never actually talked to a parent whose child was put back a year because of the grade placement test. Still, we generally recommend home education as a long term solution and not a short one."

Ah, so they exist solely as a way to navigate TN homeschooling law. Gotcha. Well, in that case the OP has little recourse because they say upfront that they do not provide that service. :blushing: I should have looked harder...

Just FYI for others reading...THIS is why it is important to understand about high school credits in your state. MANY states do not have to take your mom-made transcripts, should your child decide to enroll in high school after 9th grade, no matter how high scores are, what you used, etc.

The schools in my state do NOT have to accept these credits done at home and will not for the most part. And I have known multiple hs'ers here who went into 9th grade though they where one or more grades above. They must have passed those end-of-class tests or have a transcript from an accredited school showing that the student passed those classes.

(Note that we have a charter here that won't give you a diploma without Latin I/II, Logic I/II and Rhetoric, so that's a whole 'nuther ball game, lol.)

Georgia

The OP is upset, which is entirely understandable. However, her anger at Home Life Academy is misplaced and the title of this thread is very misleading. The problems that she is having has nothing to do with HLA. Her DD is unable to pass the testing by the public school to get course credits.

HLA did not direct which materials she should use or how to teach the various subjects. They provide a lot of freedom, which those of us who are signed up with them appreciate.

Private umbrella schools are the most popular way to "homeschool" in Tennessee and most of them are simply a records keeping service. They will provide a transcript with parent-supplied grades. They do NOT control the entry requirements that the public schools put in place.

Biology online? Nothing.

First of all, :grouphug: :grouphug:

I'm really really sorry that you and your DD are in this situation, but honestly I don't see how Homelife is to blame here. They are not accredited, they don't claim to be accredited, and their website states that students who want to enter PS will be subject to testing. Homelife did not choose your DD's curriculum or teach the courses.

CC Challenge A is 7th grade level, not 9th, and there have been many threads here about Rosetta Stone; it's a rare student who can test out of even level 101 foreign language after RS. If the exams your DD had to take in order to test into 11th grade were designed to assess students who'd had algebra, geometry, HS-level biology & chemistry, world history, and 2 years of a standard Spanish text, then I'm not surprised she struggled.

I agree with PPs that you should avoid a GED if at all possible. Depending on what she did for 10th, you could probably recover some credits through NARHS. One good thing about NARHS is that they only require 17.5 credits for graduation, so if you could get credit for most of her 10th grade work, then she could theoretically still complete the required number of credits in the next 2 years, in order to graduate with her age-mates. The total cost for a year of credit recovery plus 2 yrs of enrollment would be ~$1700. American school would cost roughly the same, although she might have to do all four years worth of credits. (Maybe you could ask if they would accept a year's worth of credits from NARHS, and do credit recovery* with NARHS, then transfer to American?) You could also use dual enrollment to speed up the process, since 1 semester of CC generally = 1 HS credit.

*ETA: American School will give up to 5 credits for previous homeschooling work, but it requires passing exams. NARHS allows credit recovery via samples of work completed, and there is no limit to the number of credits.

As homeschoolers, we need to realize that the freedom to teach our kids whatever and however we choose comes at a price: the farther we move from PS "standards," the more difficult it is to reenter that system. That's the trade-off we make, and it's naiive to think otherwise.

Jackie

:grouphug:

I'm not sure why Home Life Academy would be at fault. :confused: It is common for public schools not to accept credits from homeschooled students, regardless of whether they have transcripts from accredited homeschool programs or not.

At this point, assigning blame isn't very profitable, but if anything, I would gently point out that it was your responsibillity to know that public schools generally tend not to accept homeschooled credits. It doesn't help your situation to know this, but it could be a cautionary tale for others: once you start homeschooling at the high school level, you should be prepared to go all the way or have a Plan B, because most public schools won't accept homeschool credits.

ITA with the suggestion of applying to a private school.

I would not expect a junior to have to go back and do two years of courses she had already completed.

:iagree:

The problem will be explaining to Dad that ps is not an option, because dd gets to grow up whether she has been traditionally schooled or not.

So the question is, what course will the family agree upon for her to go forward instead of backwards at 16 years old.

If she must go to school instead of finishing as a homeschooler, what about forgetting ps and going on to community college? Hs'ers in your state would know whether or not she should take the GED before entering community college.

I would not expect a junior to have to go back and do two years of courses she had already completed.

The OP does *not* know what "grade level" her dd is. Standardized testing can't really tell you that. Really, they can't.

It's also entirely possible that, as I stated, it's a case of rusty skills, especially in subjects like math or science. I'm constantly finding myself having to look up formulas and relearn things in teaching my DD that I KNOW I knew in high school or college, but it's simply been a long time since I've had to balance a chemical equation. I suspect most ps 11th graders, if tested on 9th grade skills, would have some serious weaknesses as well, not because they aren't solid students, but because it's been two years since they've regularly used those skills and that's enough time to forget skills.

:iagree:

The problem will be explaining to Dad that ps is not an option, because dd gets to grow up whether she has been traditionally schooled or not.

So the question is, what course will the family agree upon for her to go forward instead of backwards at 16 years old.

If she must go to school instead of finishing as a homeschooler, what about forgetting ps and going on to community college? Hs'ers in your state would know whether or not she should take the GED before entering community college.

She won't have to take the GED if she has decent ACT scores, and can qualify for the HOPE scholarship if her ACT scores are high enough. If the ACT isn't as strong, most CCs also do the COMPASS test and offer a range of leveling classes. In general, once you get to age 16-17 or so, it's really hard NOT to get into CC here!

I will say that without a high school diploma or GED, she may run into some problems with state licensing, so it might be worth it to leave her enrolled in HLA/CC until graduation as a dual enrollment student, even if she's doing most or all her coursework at a CC, so she gets a high school diploma from them and an AA. TN is backwards enough that there have been times that people with college degrees have run into trouble because they didn't have a high school diploma when applying for a job that has state-set requirements.

:grouphug: I'd look for a private school in your situation, but I'd also be cautious about thinking she had the knowledge necessary for higher level classes if she can't demonstrate it. Having the knowledge will be necessary if she's looking toward college afterward.

Using Rosetta Stone is the one major regret I have with homeschooling. Oldest couldn't test into a second semester class at college after doing RS for 4 years here at home and getting straight As on their computer graded system. You're not alone there. It's not a good program IMO.

But back to my advice, try a private school if you can. :grouphug:

Our local PS only accepts other PS credits period. Any homeschooler or privately schooled student no matter how many credits, even college credits, will be automatically enrolled as a freshman, no exceptions! They are very anti-transfer friendly unless it is another Michigan public school that the student is transferring from and it's a HUGE problem for many homeschoolers who had decided they would homeschool through 8th or 9th grade and then enroll their child in school. Algebra 1 in 8th grade - you can't even take a placement exam - automatically does not count because it wasn't taken at a PS.

I'm sorry you are going through this. It's hard because some students just do not test well - anxiety can be a huge issue as well as being a different type of thinker or second guessing oneself which is a test taking disaster waiting to happen, etc. - therefore, if at all possible, I'd either find a private school or more reputable online program. Unfortunately, while Tenessee may not be known for discriminating against GED earners, my home state does and it's EXTREMELY difficult to find employment with only a GED. It just is not recognized as a reasonable subsitute.

Therefore, if there is any chance she may want employment in the future out-of-state, please consider another option.

Faith

I am dealing with a similar situation with my 17 year old daughter. We had planned to send her to a private school when she was a freshman but after 6 weeks she had to come back home due to medical problems. She did freshman and sophomore year at home but sophomore year she could only handle 4 or 5 credits due to recovering from surgery. Last year she went to a private school but we had her enroll as a sophomore rather than a junior. We weren't completely happy with the private school and didn't feel it was worth the money we were paying.

I talked to the public school last summer and they told me the same thing as you that my daughter would have to take the final for every credit she wanted to receive. There are a few problems with that: First they didn't have all of the same classes that my daughter had at home (for instance cultural geography) so there was no way she would get credit for that. Since the private high school was christian they required her to take a religion class, which could not be transferred even as an elective credit at the public school. I think it is pretty difficult to pass a final for a class that you haven't had for 3 years. The other consideration is for some classes they might have covered different material then my daughter did for her class. For example my daughter had a very comprehensive english class at home but she did not read the same novels as the public school and therefore wouldn't be able to answer those questions correctly on the final. I also find that something like history is covered differently at different schools. There may have been a heavier focus on different periods of time. The counselor was very truthful and told me that it would probably be a waste of time and a blow to my daughter's self-esteem for her to take all of the finals necessary.

We are also enrolled with Homelife but they are having a hard time figuring out how to deal with my daughter's complicated transcript. My daughter will have enough credits to graduate this spring but she had two sophomore years and no junior year. It is a real headache. I wish you luck and hope you can figure out something for your daughter.

We have to consider high school pretty much as an all-or-nothing thing here. Once you start hsing in high school, you better be prepared to go all the way through with hsing or you will have to start over.

:iagree:This is pretty much the sad truth. Once you decide to homeschool high school, you go the whole way or start over. I have known kids who have tested in at 10th grade and gotten credits, but that was as they were finishing the classes that they were tested. I don't think they got credits for everything they had done their freshman year. It does depend on the particular high school. I know kids a couple of counties over where the schools just accepted the homeschool credits with no questions. The local ps here actually contacted me and made sure that I realized that my children would not receive credits and would have to start over as freshmen if we decided to jump into high school after the freshman year. I must admit that it did make me think. It is a 4 year commitment.

As far as what to do at this point, do check with private schools. They will want your $ and be more willing to accept your credits. Some, however, will not. The community colleges seem to vary in how they operate. The one near us will only accept high school aged students after they have taken the ACT and made certain level scores (unless they have a high school diploma). Even kids with a high school diploma must have ACT scores for placement. With high enough scores, students are allowed to enroll. Without the required score, you may enroll only if you have a diploma or GED. The COMPASS test is used only for students who are over 21. (Basically, they are not allowing people to use the CC for high school.)

Edited by Lolly

The community colleges seem to vary in how they operate. The one near us will only accept high school aged students after they have taken the ACT and made certain level scores (unless they have a high school diploma). Even kids with a high school diploma must have ACT scores for placement. With high enough scores, students are allowed to enroll. Without the required score, you may enroll only if you have a diploma or GED. The COMPASS test is used only for students who are over 21. (Basically, they are not allowing people to use the CC for high school.)

I don't understand the last bolded comment - you said above, high school students with a high enough ACT scores are accepted?

I don't understand the last bolded comment - you said above, high school students with a high enough ACT scores are accepted?

If it is like ours (it sounds like it is), then high school students with an acceptable SAT/ACT (and for ours, who pass their placement tests) can take college level classes for college credit. No high school student (no matter their scores) can take remedial (high school level) classes. Those are reserved for students who have graduated or who have a GED AND are over 18.

We can not use cc as high school as some places allow. The OP will have to check with their local cc to see if it's an option.

If it is like ours (it sounds like it is), then high school students with an acceptable SAT/ACT (and for ours, who pass their placement tests) can take college level classes for college credit. No high school student (no matter their scores) can take remedial (high school level) classes. Those are reserved for students who have graduated or who have a GED AND are over 18..

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. (It had not occurred to me anybody would want to use the CC for remedial courses; I always saw this as an option for strong students)

If it is like ours (it sounds like it is), then high school students with an acceptable SAT/ACT (and for ours, who pass their placement tests) can take college level classes for college credit. No high school student (no matter their scores) can take remedial (high school level) classes. Those are reserved for students who have graduated or who have a GED AND are over 18.

We can not use cc as high school as some places allow. The OP will have to check with their local cc to see if it's an option.

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. (It had not occurred to me anybody would want to use the CC for remedial courses; I always saw this as an option for strong students)

Sorry, poorly worded. Creekland has it right. Homeschoolers are not allowed to just sign up for cc classes to use in place of high school classes like some people here seem to do. Need a lab science, just go to the cc and take it. (Sorry, not allowed.) Can't teach your high school kid alg. 2, just send them to cc for math. (Nope, not if they can't score high enough on the ACT, which is basically impossible without alg. 2.) Basically, if you are not college ready, there are no cc classes available to high school students. (The cc website is down again, so I cannot check my facts. I'm remembering that you have to have an overall ACT of 21 or 22 to be allowed to take classes without a high school diploma. Unless you are doing duel enrollment which is only allowed through a state approved high school. Those classes are actually taught by the high school teachers at the high school.)

Edited by Lolly

Unless you are doing duel enrollment which is only allowed through a state approved high school. Those classes are actually taught by the high school teachers at the high school.)

And this is only approved here IF you can pass their placement test to take the class for college credit. There are many who don't. They can take the class in the high school (same class as those taking it for credit), but they won't get college credit, even if they ace the course, if they didn't pass the placement test first. It's really kind of strange, but it is what it is.

Poking my head into the high school board here and I saw this thread. I'm honestly shocked by this. My brother homeschooled for his sophomore and junior year in Missouri and enrolled in a public high school for his senior year. His freshman year was done at a Texas high school (very fragmented education really). The Missouri high school requested his freshman transcript from the TX high school and I drew him up a transcript for his sophomore and junior years and they accepted it, no questions asked, no placement tests, nothing. He graduated in May of this year.

Is this situation really unusual? My oldest is in sixth grade and we aren't sure if we want to homeschool for high school but if we do, I want to be prepared for what we're in for.

Is this situation really unusual? My oldest is in sixth grade and we aren't sure if we want to homeschool for high school but if we do, I want to be prepared for what we're in for.

Policies vary widely. A friend's son decided that he wanted to return to public school after homeschooling 9th grade. Our district is homeschool friendly and gave him credit for the courses he studied at home in 9th grade. However, the school did not assign him weighted letter grades. Since our school system uses a weighted system to determine class rank, his class standing has been negatively impacted by homeschooling 9th grade.

Poking my head into the high school board here and I saw this thread. I'm honestly shocked by this. My brother homeschooled for his sophomore and junior year in Missouri and enrolled in a public high school for his senior year. His freshman year was done at a Texas high school (very fragmented education really). The Missouri high school requested his freshman transcript from the TX high school and I drew him up a transcript for his sophomore and junior years and they accepted it, no questions asked, no placement tests, nothing. He graduated in May of this year.

it isn't unusual at all. You need to check with your specific school district to find out what their policy is on high school admissions and credits. Then, if you move into another district, the whole situation could change. Education policies change by school district. Sometimes, that just depends on who is in charge. My school district's policy goes back to the specific school superintendent we have. He is NOT friendly. (Heck, he isn't even ps student friendly.)If he ever leaves, the policy could change. Bottom line: never start homeschooling in high school if you are not prepared to go the distance.

it isn't unusual at all. You need to check with your specific school district to find out what their policy is on high school admissions and credits. Then, if you move into another district, the whole situation could change. Education policies change by school district. Sometimes, that just depends on who is in charge. My school district's policy goes back to the specific school superintendent we have. He is NOT friendly. (Heck, he isn't even ps student friendly.)If he ever leaves, the policy could change. Bottom line: never start homeschooling in high school if you are not prepared to go the distance.

Thank you for the advice! My area tends to be pretty homeschool friendly. I've even heard of people taking classes with the high school (the law allows this but does not require schools to allow it... it's up to the parent to convince the school to let their child take classes). But you're right that I can't exactly count on things to stay the same.

Policies vary widely. A friend's son decided that he wanted to return to public school after homeschooling 9th grade. Our district is homeschool friendly and gave him credit for the courses he studied at home in 9th grade. However, the school did not assign him weighted letter grades. Since our school system uses a weighted system to determine class rank, his class standing has been negatively impacted by homeschooling 9th grade.

So they are only calculating his gpa with classes that he took with them? I guess I kind of understand that but it still stinks. I wonder if they'd do the same for a student transferring in from another district in the state or from a public school out of state or from an accredited private school.

So they are only calculating his gpa with classes that he took with them? I guess I kind of understand that but it still stinks. I wonder if they'd do the same for a student transferring in from another district in the state or from a public school out of state or from an accredited private school.

My understanding from the mom is that they did not assign weighted grades for his homeschooled classes. I am not sure how the district handles calculating the gpa of students who enter the district in the middle of high school from another accredited school.

While his class rank has taken a hit, imo, the outcome could have been much worse: I have read of some schools not accepting any classes taken in the homeschool setting. Those kids would have to repeat 9th grade if they wished to attend their high school.

Edited by snowbeltmom

:grouphug: I also want to jump in to defend HomeLife. While this is an unfortunate situation, it isn't the fault of HomeLife. They are only an umbrella. It is the parent's responsibility to make sure YOU are doing everything needed to educate your child and to be familiar with the HS laws of your state. HomeLife exists solely to give us the freedom to homeschool without interference from the DOE. It doesn't educate kids in any way.

I hate to see them misrepresented when they have been a great tool for us, and other families.

I hope things can get worked out for your daughter.

My only advice to you is, do what you can to get her a high school diploma instead of a GED.

Good luck with whatever you and your family decide!

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Look into credit recovery. Google it. There are options. I'm not sure of the costs but I know I've come across sites. A GED is probably the least likely to help he be successful after high school. A homeschool diploma issues by you is quite probably far more attractive to colleges than a GED.

We agonized so, so much this summer since it is Ds freshman year for this very reason. We also moved round the world, and didn't land in our home spot until early august- clock was ticking! He didn't want to go to ps, I didn't know if I could really do all 4 years of hs, dh thinks he should go...a mess. Ds had well reasoned arguments and I had a plan, and dh said ok, and well, here we are. It is very frightening though knowing no ps option exists now- he would have to start completely over save the classes he takes there (Russian and music theory). They may or may not accept online keystone courses- they say it's a "case by case" basis and those may not match up with their offerings/requirements.

It's scary, but we are just full steam aheading and I try not to think about it!:auto:

In Colorado, it is up to the local school what to accept or not. Our local school says that will evaluate homeschool transcripts/portfolios and/or national testing. They also have the option to require testing. I have heard they are pretty amiable, but they are under no obligation to accept anything. We do national testing every year, even though it is required only every other year, just in case that might help us if needed.

I looked all this up prior to starting 9th grade homeschooling. I agree with others you should be prepared for all-or-nothing with high school. It sounds like the OP didn't really have any choice about it though.

Sorry, OP! :grouphug:

I do agree though, it doesn't sound like a Home Life problem. We are using Clonlara. Clonlara is accredited, but the local school could still reject their credits if they chose.

:grouphug: I also want to jump in to defend HomeLife. While this is an unfortunate situation, it isn't the fault of HomeLife. They are only an umbrella. It is the parent's responsibility to make sure YOU are doing everything needed to educate your child and to be familiar with the HS laws of your state. HomeLife exists solely to give us the freedom to homeschool without interference from the DOE. It doesn't educate kids in any way.

I hate to see them misrepresented when they have been a great tool for us, and other families.

Thanks for this. We use HLA too. Now I know it's all or nothing for HS HS!

The OP is upset, which is entirely understandable. However, her anger at Home Life Academy is misplaced and the title of this thread is very misleading. The problems that she is having has nothing to do with HLA. Her DD is unable to pass the testing by the public school to get course credits.

HLA did not direct which materials she should use or how to teach the various subjects. They provide a lot of freedom, which those of us who are signed up with them appreciate.

Private umbrella schools are the most popular way to "homeschool" in Tennessee and most of them are simply a records keeping service. They will provide a transcript with parent-supplied grades. They do NOT control the entry requirements that the public schools put in place.

:iagree:With all of the above. HLA does what it says it will do. My children had no problem getting full ride scholarships based on their transcripts from HLA. However, I was not delusional in thinking there would not be hoops to jump through should I put them back in public high school. HLA does not lead one to believe that either.

Well said. We've had an excellent experience with HomeLife. They will guide you if you want it, and leave you alone if that is your desire.

Put her in Aaron Academy, an umbrella school.

My ds1 had jumped back forth from private, homeschooling and public. AA was able to figure it all out, and now he's supposed to get his diploma in Jan.

https://www.aaronacademy.com/

Aaron Academy works the same way as Home Life Academy. However, if you want to, you can attend classes on campus once (maybe twice) a week. But you do not have to do that if you don't want to.

The community colleges seem to vary in how they operate. The one near us will only accept high school aged students after they have taken the ACT and made certain level scores (unless they have a high school diploma). Even kids with a high school diploma must have ACT scores for placement. With high enough scores, students are allowed to enroll. Without the required score, you may enroll only if you have a diploma or GED. The COMPASS test is used only for students who are over 21. (Basically, they are not allowing people to use the CC for high school.)

Our dual enrolling experience in TN was incredibly easy at both the CC and at a local university. Ds was able to take an ACT residual test on the CC campus for placement purposes and his dual enrolled course was paid for by the state via the HOPE scholarship dual enrollment $$. The HOPE scholarship specifically stipulates the eligilibility requirements for homeschoolers. http://www.tn.gov/collegepays/mon_college/dual_enroll_grant_rules.htm The university did require his "real" ACT score for placement (but that was all.)

In looking at CC's w/middle college high schools, I found Chatt State's Middle College High School only requires an ACT score of 19 for admission. http://www.chattanoogastate.edu/high-school/middle-college/ This approach might be the easiest all around for the OP if her local CC has a similar program.

:iagree: Yes, this.

I sympathize with the OP for not wanting her daughter to have to start all over at the beginning of p.s., but this is not HLA's fault. Their website does clearly state that they are not accredited and that going back into public school may require passing public school entrance testing.

Ifiwy, I would do my best to convince Dad to let the oldest at least continue homeschooling to graduation. I cannot imagine any parent wanting their child to repeat two years of school unnecessarily. A Mom-made or HLA transcript plus ACT score will get her into TN community college at the very least.

TN puts a huge amount of emphasis on their TCAP tests. Teacher's jobs and student's entire yearly grades are impacted by the scores. My SIL is a teacher in public schools in TN and she spends the whole year worried about TCAPs.

You can not get into TN public school's part way through high school. Those TCAP scores are everything. I would see if you could convince her father to let her take the ACT and then enroll in a State school (In TN the state's community schools are called college, not community college). The state pays for 2 classes a semester through the HOPE scholarship. Unless he is willing to foot the bill for a private school she will be stuck retaking her first 2 years of highschool. You may want to let her explain to her dad why she doesn't want to do that. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this post kind of freaks me out since my 7th grade dd may want to go back to PS in 9th grade. Maybe we better think about doing Keystone for 8th grade. Luckily, we live in Oklahoma where the is no required annual testing. Good info on this thread.

I'm sorry for all the trouble you are having. I hope your daughter doesn't have to go back to 9th grade, that could really blow her self-esteem.

Best wishes.

Ok, this post kind of freaks me out since my 7th grade dd may want to go back to PS in 9th grade. Maybe we better think about doing Keystone for 8th grade. Luckily, we live in Oklahoma where the is no required annual testing. Good info on this thread.

I'm sorry for all the trouble you are having. I hope your daughter doesn't have to go back to 9th grade, that could really blow her self-esteem.

Best wishes.

Generally, there is no problem with transferring in for 9th grade. Well, unless you want to have high school credits from 8th. The problem comes in that everyone starts as a freshman in high school. That isn't generally a problem if they actually are a freshman. However, if they should be a senior...

This would not be a problem in our school district. Anyone can start in 9th grade as that's where credits start for graduation (our school allows NO credits from 8th or below from hs or ps students). They will even allow you to start in whatever math/science you want to start in (been there, done that) without needing testing. You just have to make sure you can get the needed credits in courses that are left in high school - meaning - if you do Alg 1 and Geo in 7th and 8th, you will still need 4 additional math credits to graduate (Alg 2, Pre-Calc, Calc, and Stats are common here for those who choose that route).