Menu

Rant on hunting season

I don't see them shoot deer and leave them to rot I mentioned it to a friend who has lived here her whole life about finding one shot in the road. It was shot in the head and she told me it has been that way for years. "Rednecks and hicks drinking in trucks up and down the road shotting for the fun of it". Her words not mine. If you see them do it your suppose to call but they are doing it on back roads and such where houses are pretty far back so no one actually sees this until they are driving up and down roads.

The pics I saw are from my nephew who lives in another state and there are no laws that say you can't take pictures of stuff like that.

We have a local zoo and wildlife rehab that beg for roadkill/deer to feed the animals. They'll pay 40 a deer. So here it's never wasted.

In NJ, deer are like mosquitos. Insanely overpopulated. Our does are so well fed here that they're giving birth to twins and triplets.

I come from hunters, I love hunting, I eat game and venison. BUT. There are so many deer, they are so damaging to everything, that in all honestly, if people take a few out I really could care less. Do I think it's respectful of life? No. I also know, though, that that deer will become food for another animal.

If I'm going to get morally indignant over something right now, it will be the devastation in Staten Island, and how these people are spending days and days cold, wet, and hungry--with no relief in sight, and the tens of thousands that are now homeless as the temps drop to freezing. Not some dope that took out a deer when he shouldn't have. Perspective.

Edited by justamouse

We don't really have a lot of that kind of thing around here either. You have to go to some effort to get a firearms license and hunting permit, so most don't unless they are really interested in hunting. And the authorities take people hunting without those things pretty seriously.

My guess is that it might be related to easy access to hunting stuff (guns, licensees, whatever) and low policing of hunters activities.

I would suggest a couple of things. One is contacting whatever government body is responsible for this stuff in your state.

The other possibility might be to contact any sort of local or state group that represents hunters. This stuff reflects badly on hunters and they usually don't like it. They might have suggestions about what to do or might even be interested in being involved in some sort of program to improve the situation.

You haven't lived until you've sat under the mounted rear-end of a doe, plasticine vulva and all, waiting for your car to get new brakes.

I have done this, and it was in the middle of the BRONX.

p.s. I sat under it so I wouldn't have to sit across from it and see it.

:blink:

I saw two headless dear bodies today, just dumped by the side of the road. Made my blood boil at the waste of food. Heck, they could take the deer to a butcher and let them make some money!

Are you sure they were dumped and not hit? Weird that they would take the head though.

You haven't lived until you've sat under the mounted rear-end of a doe, plasticine vulva and all, waiting for your car to get new brakes.

I have done this, and it was in the middle of the BRONX.

p.s. I sat under it so I wouldn't have to sit across from it and see it.

Now THAT place sounds classy :lol: