Menu

Rant on hunting season

If you want to hunt deer for food then so be it. I may not like it but with the cost of meat I get it I really do. That being said......There is no need at all to shoot a deer and leave it lay to rot. Hunting like that should not be allowed. I eat meat so I am not a meat eater hater but really killing an animal just cause you can should not be a sport.

No matter what spin you put on it that is still a life you have taken. To kill anything just because you can doesn't prove yourself to anyone other than you can be a bully pretty much. Also hunters there is NO reason to pose up dead animals with cigars or beers or anything else. It looks stupid and barbaric.

It was a living breathing creature that basically gave its life for you to eat why not show some gratitude instead of acting stupid. Furthermore do not tell me how crazy I am my kids play with bows and arrows while your five year old is begging my daughter to eat her pet rabbit. I don't wanna know how he can skin that sucker in a few minutes.

OK rant over and our bunny is safely tucked in the arms of my daughter fast asleep in a rocking chair.

I come from a family of hunters and dh is an avid hunter. Dh and I agree that you are correct. We hunt for food, whether to eat or give away, and leave nothing to rot.

Maybe he can answer then, why the pictures? I have seen pics of these dead animals with beer bottles wrapped and their legs to made look like they are drinking, cigars stuck in their mouths, tongues hanging out and to me that is just horrible.

Why would people do that. I won't even mention the ahem..positions I have seen when there are more than one deer. Hope you get the idea on that. I just do not understand that sort of behavior.

Maybe he can answer then, why the pictures? I have seen pics of these dead animals with beer bottles wrapped and their legs to made look like they are drinking, cigars stuck in their mouths, tongues hanging out and to me that is just horrible.

Why would people do that. I won't even mention the ahem..positions I have seen when there are more than one deer. Hope you get the idea on that. I just do not understand that sort of behavior.

Why don't you ask the people you're angry at?

Two words: beer and testoterone.

The pictures sound stupid. And I agree that if you kill a deer you should eat it or find someone who will. However, around here we are so overrun with these things that hunting them is a valuable service whether you eat the meat or not. Better that than being killed by a vehicle and possibly harming some innocent driver, while certainly damaging their vehicle.

There is no need at all to shoot a deer and leave it lay to rot. Hunting like that should not be allowed.

[snip]

Also hunters there is NO reason to pose up dead animals with cigars or beers or anything else. It looks stupid and barbaric.

:iagree:Although I think we need more deer hunters in New Jersey, not less. There are 200,000 deer here. Come and get them, just leave the cigars and beers at home. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:Although I think we need more deer hunters in New Jersey, not less. There are 200,000 deer here. Come and get them, just leave the cigars and beers at home. :tongue_smilie:

Pshaw! Their are 200,000 in my backyard!

Okay, maybe not THAT many. But there are many mornings when we really do wake up to 6 in the front yard, 8 in the backyard, and even more lurking in the woods of the rest of the property, amd it is an extremely creepy feeling! :001_huh:

Our community keeps voting down a contolled hunt b/c it's so expensive, but it's too populated to just let people hunt "regular" in here.

If you want to hunt deer for food then so be it. I may not like it but with the cost of meat I get it I really do. That being said......There is no need at all to shoot a deer and leave it lay to rot. Hunting like that should not be allowed. I eat meat so I am not a meat eater hater but really killing an animal just cause you can should not be a sport.

Shooting it and leaving it IS illegal. I'm guessing they didn't do it legally to begin with, i.e. they didn't have their hunting license and/or deer tags. It sounds like you know who they are, so you do have the option of turning them in, but it will probably be your word against theirs.

Sometimes it's because they're a bad tracker or just lazy. If you shoot the deer and it's not a kill shot the deer will run away. You have to track it down.

The tracking is probably a big part of it. My dad was an avid hunter his whole life. He was also a very careful hunter, and a respectful hunter. If he shot a deer and it didn't fall, he would track it well into the night. On the rare occasion that he couldn't find it at night (after an evening hunt), he'd come home, go to bed, and go back out and follow the trail the next day. I don't think he ever "lost" a deer. And yes, we'd eat the deer even if it had been dead a while when he finally found it -- those were not usually the tastiest ones!

Our family would eat every last bit of that deer, including stuff like liver and heart. I didn't always love that as a child! My dad usually butchered the deer himself, because he didn't like the waste when he'd have it professionally butchered. Sometimes my dad would mount the head, and sometimes he'd save the leather as well. My sister once made a drum with the leather she cured herself.

And I know some people won't believe this, but my dad was a lover of nature. I think part of the reason he loved to hunt was being out in nature. He loved to be out on a snowy morning, observing all the beauty that surrounded him. He would make donations to wildlife foundations and such as well.

As far as the pictures you mentioned? My dad and brother would do nothing as you described, but they did take what I'll call "honest" trophy pictures -- a picture of them posing with a buck, but they would never take pictures of deer in compromising positions or posed with beer cans. Now, I could never appreciate the trophy pictures -- the girls in our family would call them "dead deer pictures." Maybe one has to be male to appreciate them! :D However, I see nothing inherently wrong with taking a trophy picture. I just didn't enjoy looking at them myself.

Because they would hire "professionals." We have 2,000 homes on 3,000 acres, where most residents do have a regular hunting license. Allowing everyone to open fire would be insane!

I wonder if allowing bow hunting would be safer?

We have tons of deer in our neighborhood -- we've had to choose our landscaping based on what deer don't eat, although they're a bit like goats -- seems like they'll eat anything if they're hungry enough, or in the mood...

I really wish we'd have some kind of hunt allowed in our neighborhood. The problem is, deer don't have natural predators anymore, and hardly anyone hunts, so the deer population is out of control.

We're not hunters, but we own a business that caters to them. Thankfully, I've never come in contact with hunters that behave the way you're describing. Do you see these pictures on Facebook? Are they leaving deer carcasses on your property? That would be gross.

In our area, most hunters hunt for their family and they also donate meat. I know the local conservation club is also very conscientious about culling the herd responsibly. There's a whole science to it that I don't understand.

I wonder if allowing bow hunting would be safer?

We have tons of deer in our neighborhood -- we've had to choose our landscaping based on what deer don't eat, although they're a bit like goats -- seems like they'll eat anything if they're hungry enough, or in the mood...

I really wish we'd have some kind of hunt allowed in our neighborhood. The problem is, deer don't have natural predators anymore, and hardly anyone hunts, so the deer population is out of control.

They've chowed down on every deer-resistant plant I've tried, lol. We have two large dogs that don't scare them off, our menfolk have marked their territory ;), and we've tried every product on the market. And I'm not allowed to have fowl to eat the ticks. :glare:

We are instructed to throw lye on a carcass if we find one on our property. Luckily, we haven't stumbled upon any yet. We've hit them on the road though!

We're not hunters, but we own a business that caters to them. Thankfully, I've never come in contact with hunters that behave the way you're describing. Do you see these pictures on Facebook? Are they leaving deer carcasses on your property? That would be gross.

In our area, most hunters hunt for their family and they also donate meat. I know the local conservation club is also very conscientious about culling the herd responsibly. There's a whole science to it that I don't understand.

I live in the country and it is nothing to drive down the road seeing deer laying with bullet holes every year I hear of people randomly driving around shooting just because they can the pics were from my nephews deer killing party. Totally disgusting but I have never understood that kid.

They leave them to rot too they just like killing them. Also I don't understand the hunting family that thinks it is horrible my kids play with plastic bows and arrows because that teaches violence yet let's their kid beg to skin our pet? I mean that seems off to me.

I have never been in a situation where a small child spoke that way it seemed totally crazy and violent. My daughters bunny is our baby. She totes him everywhere and carries him like an infant she wants to get him a better sling thing. The way that kid joyfully spoke of skinning him and how warm the blood would be and all was just crazy while his mom scolded me for letting my boys play with plastic toys! :confused:

I live in the country and it is nothing to drive down the road seeing deer laying with bullet holes every year I hear of people randomly driving around shooting just because they can the pics were from my nephews deer killing party. Totally disgusting but I have never understood that kid.

:confused:

I wonder where you live because as a life long citizen of what most people in the US think of as back ward red neck slow ignorant folks :tongue_smilie:. I've never seen anything like what you are describing. You will occasionally see a dead deer on the side of the road but its been hit by a car. There are lots of folks that don't eat deer meat so they will just leave the hit deer.

My dh saw someone hit a deer and leave it He stopped and picked it up and I process the thing back in mid summer.

Their are people I know that have deer head trophy deer but they will also eat the meat. We don't do the trophy head because I just think its red-neck IMO

I wonder where you live because as a life long citizen of what most people in the US think of as back ward red neck slow ignorant folks :tongue_smilie:. I've never seen anything like what you are describing. You will occasionally see a dead deer on the side of the road but its been hit by a car. There are lots of folks that don't eat deer meat so they will just leave the hit deer.

My dh saw someone hit a deer and leave it He stopped and picked it up and I process the thing back in mid summer.

Their are people I know that have deer head trophy deer but they will also eat the meat. We don't do the trophy head because I just think its red-neck IMO

:iagree: I have never seen, or even heard of, anything like the OP described. :confused: Why would you not eat, or at least donate, the meat? I would want absolutely nothing to do with the person who posted the pictures.

Two words: beer and testoterone.

Beer and testosterone and guns are a scary combination! I hope they get the beer out after they have killed the deer.

I grew up in a hunting community and never saw or heard of anyone leaving dead deer. Today there are plenty of hunting pics and already a dead deer pic on FB. Everyone is talking about how excited they are to fill their freezers with meat.

I've heard of groups being around where you can donate meat so it goes to needy families. Sounds like you just have a nasty group of hunters in your neighborhood. Ugh!

Sounds like the kids you are describing (the boy with his hunting party and the kid wanting to skin your bunny) are disturbed individuals. The issue there is mental stability, not deer hunting.

We hunt for food and also benefit from several others who hunt for trophies, but bring us the meat for food. Our community food pantry works with several local butchers to utilize all the venison they can during hunting season.

However, yes, if the shot is not a kill shot, then the deer can elude the hunter and go off and die elsewhere. We live in pretty rough country so that is not uncommon. But that deer carcass is rarely left to rot, as the coyotes, foxes, bobcats, bears, etc. clean them up surprisingly quickly. So it isn't really wasted. The food chain is very much alive and well around here.

We also are dealing with deer overpopulation and our herds could benefit from a serious culling. I believe a quick death from a hunter is much preferable to a slow, painful death from disease or malnutrition. We are happy to have leased most of our hunting rights to a man who is very knowledgeable and who approaches it from a herd management philosophy. He frequents the woods all year long and identifies individuals that are key to the health of the herd. He would never take one of those. He doesn't just shoot at anything that crosses his path, he takes the long view and as a result, we have an excellent herd of healthy deer and are seeing none of the problems (wasting disease, etc.) that are appearing in groups 50 miles away.

Idiots abound. Hunting is HUGE here but the vast majority are responsible hunters. The ones you describe are very, very likely not abiding the law. We have plenty of places that accept donated meat here but those kind of people don't care. We have deer in our freezer now from someone who likes to hunt but doesn't eat the meat. There are those who hunt for sport and are still responsible. Any real hunter despises those kind of idiots just as much.

They leave them to rot too they just like killing them. Also I don't understand the hunting family that thinks it is horrible my kids play with plastic bows and arrows because that teaches violence yet let's their kid beg to skin our pet? I mean that seems off to me.

I have never been in a situation where a small child spoke that way it seemed totally crazy and violent. My daughters bunny is our baby. She totes him everywhere and carries him like an infant she wants to get him a better sling thing. The way that kid joyfully spoke of skinning him and how warm the blood would be and all was just crazy while his mom scolded me for letting my boys play with plastic toys! :confused:

I'm agreeing with others that this is not typical. I think your experiences with these individuals are the exception and definitely not the norm. We live rurally and you never see deer on the roadside with bullet holes :tongue_smilie:.

Pshaw! There are 200,000 in my backyard!

Okay, maybe not THAT many. But there are many mornings when we really do wake up to 6 in the front yard, 8 in the backyard, and even more lurking in the woods of the rest of the property, and it is an extremely creepy feeling! :001_huh:

Our community keeps voting down a controlled hunt b/c it's so expensive, but it's too populated to just let people hunt "regular" in here.

Yes, in PA they come in herds, right? ;)

We went out for a hayride with our church a week ago, and the deer were in herds of 20-30 at a time.

What do you do to repel the deer, if you don't want them on your property? They can carry Lyme disease, I think. They should be controlled in some way.

Yes, in PA they come in herds, right? ;)

We went out for a hayride with our church a week ago, and the deer were in herds of 20-30 at a time.

What do you do to repel the deer, if you don't want them on your property? They can carry Lyme disease, I think. They should be controlled in some way.

Nothing has worked for us. I've decided to focus solely on keeping them out of my garden (thin, long, fenced rows they can't jump into) since anything else is a waste of energy.

Honestly, that seems a lot more than "off" to me. I would stay far, far away from that family. I have known hunters all my life, and they would be appalled at the things you have described. It is not at all normal to want to kill things for fun, and the "warm blood" comment would have creeped me out beyond description.

I don't see this as a hunting thing. I see this as a sociopathic violence kind of thing. I see it as a very scary thing. And I see the mom as being completely and utterly delusional if she doesn't think there is a huge problem. Frankly, I would have been extremely upset and very vocal about it if I'd heard the kid say something like he did about your dd's bunny. There's no way in the world I could have let something like that pass without asking the family to immediately leave my home. Permanently. And I wouldn't have cared how the mom and dad felt about it. That kid has a screw loose, and clearly the parents do, as well.

Edited by Catwoman

I'm not aware of anywhere where this is legal. If this is really happening, why aren't you calling the game warden? They take these things really seriously because it costs the state DNR time and money.

No one would expect you to confront a party of hunters, but you can call the authorities.

And it's not a rural thing. I live in the MOST rural state in the US and this isn't happening here.

Posing dead animals with cigars is shameful.

I know many hunters. My dad and I fish. We are ethical, and respectful to the environment. And I think if you kill something for food you should give it the dignity of being spared from humiliating photographs.

Edited by 425lisamarie

I'm not aware of anywhere where this is legal. If this is really happening, why aren't you calling the game warden? They take these things really seriously because it costs the state DNR time and money.

No one would expect you to confront a party of hunters, but you can call the authorities.

And it's not a rural thing. I live in the MOST rural state in the US and this isn't happening here.

I don't see them shoot deer and leave them to rot I mentioned it to a friend who has lived here her whole life about finding one shot in the road. It was shot in the head and she told me it has been that way for years. "Rednecks and hicks drinking in trucks up and down the road shotting for the fun of it". Her words not mine. If you see them do it your suppose to call but they are doing it on back roads and such where houses are pretty far back so no one actually sees this until they are driving up and down roads.

The pics I saw are from my nephew who lives in another state and there are no laws that say you can't take pictures of stuff like that.

I don't know if you know this, but the deer's tongue hangs out when it's dead. I don't know why. It's not like the men sat their viciously pulling the deer's tongues out to take lurid, provocative photos. The tongue was out anyway, and the rest just popped into their perverted minds.

So I don't know if that makes you feel even SLIGHTLY better, but just wanted to make sure you knew that. And for the record, I've never seen any of what you're talking about happen around here. You must have some barbaric people there.

Yeah what a waste. I wonder even if the meat could be donated if someone doesn't want it.

Yes, in MN it can be.

I would call people who drive around on back roads and shoot deer without a license and without following state hunting regulations poachers, not hunters.

:iagree:

I've never seen pics like you are describing. I have seen drunk men do a lot of incredibly stupid things so I wouldn't put anything past them. Still, in all the years I've spent at "the shack" I've never seen anybody pull stunts like that with the deer.

I saw two headless dear bodies today, just dumped by the side of the road. Made my blood boil at the waste of food. Heck, they could take the deer to a butcher and let them make some money!

This isn't legal in OR. You'd have to call the Reservation, I believe. Anyway, you can't just pop it in your trunk and take it to the butcher. You can pretty much just leave it. I have heard of someone who broke the neck, just so it wouldn't have to suffer :( (Couldn't shoot it, either in the city or without his gun...) We have a few at a time run in front of our cars pretty often...

You haven't lived until you've sat under the mounted rear-end of a doe, plasticine vulva and all, waiting for your car to get new brakes.

I have done this, and it was in the middle of the BRONX.

p.s. I sat under it so I wouldn't have to sit across from it and see it.