Menu

Best recourse for bad ebay transaction... paypal? Visa?

So I ordered a $43 item from a seller with a rating of 98.5%. (Shouldn't have - I usually go only with higher rated sellers.) Shipping was about $20. I paid through paypal with Visa. The item arrived and it *does not work*!!!!

The auction says "in excellent condition

Lightly used and in great shape -- cosmetically as well as operationally.

Fourteen day DOA return policy. Full refund upon return (buyer pays return shipping cost)."

Is the best I can do to mail it back for $20 or can I get a full refund from paypal or Visa? Has anyone gone through this recently and researched it?

I would open paypal dispute, take pics (if possible to show non working, don't know what it is, maybe a short phone video). And also call visa and let them know what is going on, they should place a hold on charge, may need a form and print out copy of paypal dispute and at least you won't incur interest until resolved.

If it is not as described (the option you should pick when opening the dispute) I think Paypal covers return shipping.

I would open paypal dispute, take pics (if possible to show non working, don't know what it is, maybe a short phone video). And also call visa and let them know what is going on, they should place a hold on charge, may need a form and print out copy of paypal dispute and at least you won't incur interest until resolved.

If it is not as described (the option you should pick when opening the dispute) I think Paypal covers return shipping.

Thank you! That would make me happy. I don't want to pay a penny for this broken chi machine.

You can report it directly through ebay through their Buyer Protection Program. Call ebay. They cover original purchase price and shipping.

That sounds like the easiest thing to do! Thanks. I'll try that first.

Hmmmmm........ It looks like they want me to contact the seller, whom I'm sure will say, "It says in the listing that YOU have to pay the return shipping." I would be out $40 for shipping.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/protection-programs.html

I guess I could try. It still takes a lot of effort. http://pages.ebay.com/coverage/index.html

I might call Visa and see if they can do anything easily.

We moms have too much to do as it is, ya know? LOL

Edited by mom2abcd

That sounds like the easiest thing to do! Thanks. I'll try that first.

Hmmmmm........ It looks like they want me to contact the seller, whom I'm sure will say, "It says in the listing that YOU have to pay the return shipping." I would be out $40 for shipping.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/protection-programs.html

Yes, the first step is always to contact seller. That is the only way to remediation. Sometimes accidents happen.

I would email them and say "This item arrived to me DOA. Please send me a replacement and a mailing label to mail this item back to you since the item is not in the condition you specified."

Return shipping cost IS NOT approved/covered through ebay buyer protection. So, be cautious.

If the seller does not seem agreeable, then you would contact ebay again, who will open a claim and you will "win" because the item was DOA.

I purchased something on ebay a couple months ago and item was lost in the mail. Item was delivered, but left at wrong location. The seller wanted me to pay for the shipping charges for second delivery,. and I refused, stating that it was not Ebay's policy. Seller relented, and resent me new item with no further issue. On a different order, I recieved an item from a website that said "buyer must pay return shipping charges" but I needed to return issue due to manufacturer error (not personal reasons) and so they sent me a shipping label. Good companies/people who want to protect their ratings/reviews will work with their customers.

Yes, the first step is always to contact seller. That is the only way to remediation. Sometimes accidents happen.

I would email them and say "This item arrived to me DOA. Please send me a replacement and a mailing label to mail this item back to you since the item is not in the condition you specified."

Return shipping cost IS NOT approved/covered through ebay buyer protection. So, be cautious.

If the seller does not seem agreeable, then you would contact ebay again, who will open a claim and you will "win" because the item was DOA.

I purchased something on ebay a couple months ago and item was lost in the mail. Item was delivered, but left at wrong location. The seller wanted me to pay for the shipping charges for second delivery,. and I refused, stating that it was not Ebay's policy. Seller relented, and resent me new item with no further issue. On a different order, I recieved an item from a website that said "buyer must pay return shipping charges" but I needed to return issue due to manufacturer error (not personal reasons) and so they sent me a shipping label. Good companies/people who want to protect their ratings/reviews will work with their customers.

So I'm out $40 for shipping-- $20 each way:( And they resell it and resell it, getting $40 each time for their trouble. Stinks.

So I'm out $40 for shipping-- $20 each way:( And they resell it and resell it, getting $40 each time for their trouble. Stinks.

No, I don't think that's what she meant at all.

I believe it is against eBay policy to require a buyer to pay return shipping on a defective item.

Contact the seller through the eBay system and request a refund. Tell him you'll be happy to return the item when he sends you a prepaid return label with tracking for the package so you can prove you sent it back, or he can issue a UPS call tag. If he gives you a hard time in his reply, don't email him again; immediately escalate the claim with eBay and they will handle it.

You will win. You will get your full refund. You won't have to pay the shipping charges.

Contact the seller and see what they say. They are not obligated to pay return shipping on the item, but they will have to return your original shipping and the price of the item. A good seller will pay return shipping since it was their mistake, but they are not obligated too.

If they say they will not accept the return, then file a claim with PayPal, and they will decide the claim, and tell you how to proceed. They will likey find in your favor, and then you mail the item back with delivery confirmation, that is very important if you want a refund. Without delivery confirmation you will not get your money back.

You can always file a claim with your credit card, but the last time I had to do that they asked if I had filed a Paypal claim first since I paid through PayPal, so it might not save you any time.

No, I don't think that's what she meant at all.

I believe it is against eBay policy to require a buyer to pay return shipping on a defective item.

Contact the seller through the eBay system and request a refund. Tell him you'll be happy to return the item when he sends you a prepaid return label with tracking for the package so you can prove you sent it back, or he can issue a UPS call tag. If he gives you a hard time in his reply, don't email him again; immediately escalate the claim with eBay and they will handle it.

You will win. You will get your full refund. You won't have to pay the shipping charges.

Thank you, Cat. I missed the reply.

The bolded is my own emphasis - Cat said it perfectly.

Let us know how it goes!! We'll back you up! :D