Menu

Dd going to B'nai Mitzvah tomorrow--questions

Dd was invited to a new school friend's B'nai Mitzvah (her brother and she are doing a joint service/ceremony). She's going alone.

It's 3 hours, and then there's a party just for the kids later that evening.

So I want to give some $--Is 20 each ok?

What should the card say--is a Congratulations card (sort of generic) ok? I don't think I can find a specifically B'nai Mitzvah one.

Is Mazel Tov what you say? Or is Happy Mitzvah ok? :D Clueless here.

She's been told to cover shoulders and wear something either at or below the knee. She has a skirt that comes right to the knee--I'm hoping it's ok.

A multiple of 18 means 'Life" and is significant. So we've done GCs, Checks, Bonds etc in multiples of $18. Since it is two related children, I think $18 each is fine from a friend. You could do $36, but I don't think that is necessary unless you can easily afford it.

We go to the synagogue when it's nearly time for the child, and that is later. I would ask the mother what time she suggests.

Folks going in and out, kids moving around etc., is fine. It's unlike many Christian services in that way, where stillness and silence is often the rule. T

Edited by LibraryLover

Well, this particular invitation came with "directions"--the kids have to go to the service in order to come to the party.

We were told the ceremony is 3 hours. We were given plenty of instruction in the invitation, as far as behavior and dress. We appreciated that!

And we feel honored to be invited! (Well, she does--I don't think parents are invited, so she's going alone.) :D

Dd was invited to a new school friend's B'nai Mitzvah (her brother and she are doing a joint service/ceremony). She's going alone.

It's 3 hours, and then there's a party just for the kids later that evening.

So I want to give some $--Is 20 each ok?

What should the card say--is a Congratulations card (sort of generic) ok? I don't think I can find a specifically B'nai Mitzvah one.

Is Mazel Tov what you say? Or is Happy Mitzvah ok? :D Clueless here.

She's been told to cover shoulders and wear something either at or below the knee. She has a skirt that comes right to the knee--I'm hoping it's ok.

$18 each would be a good gift.

Well, this particular invitation came with "directions"--the kids have to go to the service in order to come to the party.

We were told the ceremony is 3 hours. We were given plenty of instruction in the invitation, as far as behavior and dress. We appreciated that!

And we feel honored to be invited! (Well, she does--I don't think parents are invited, so she's going alone.) :D

That's a little weird that they dictate that you have to come to the service in order to go to the party. I've never heard of that. That makes for a long day for your daughter. The last bat mitzvah I attended where the girl's friends attended the service, I kept having to turn around and tell them to be quiet. They were so inappropriate. I was wishing they had only gone to the party.