Introvert vs. Extrovert and Depression

Introvert vs. Extrovert and Depression  

1. 1. Introvert vs. Extrovert and Depression

• Introvert-have dealt/dealing with depression
    • Extrovert-have dealt/dealing with depression
    • Introvert-never had issues
    • Extrovert-never had issues
    • Other

The thread about "How do you know when it's time to take something for mood" got me wondering.

Is there a connection between depression and your personality type? It seems from that thread that it's more an introvert issue. I know it's not exclusively an introvert thing because my MIL is a complete extrovert and has been on meds for years. But is the ratio slanted toward introverts?

Good question!

Maybe the depression can affect either type when one is operating outside their natural tendency. For example, if I as an introvert am spending a lot of time with people and have no quiet/alone time, I might be more sapped and prone to depression.

Or an extrovert who is closely confined and maybe doesn't have the energy they derive from being with others will wither.

Just a thought. I have no data :001_smile:

I'm a pretty equal balance (I tested at 50/50 on one of the intense personality tests) and I take medication for depression. My dad is bipolar and my mom has clinical depression. They are both on medication as well. Medication has never been something taboo, it has always just been a normal thing, I can't imagine my parents if they didn't take their meds. :001_huh:

I have struggled with depression for about 6 years now. I have also written fairly often about it on my blog.

Recently I wrote here about what has helped me most recently.

I am definitely an introvert. I haven't written about that connection on my blog, but I definitely think it's there.

For me, I have tried everything natural under the sun to no avail...it has finally been a COMBINATION of things I am doing together that has worked best for me.

Depression and anxiety can run in families. Depression stems from a chemical imbalance. Many things can cause that.

I don't think it is personality related. I know many other extroverts on depression meds.

I know just as many extroverts as introverts that deal with depression. I don't think it's necessarily related to personality.

Wanted to add: you will not get a good statistics from this poll, because, according to a poll we had here a few weeks ago, 78% of the users on this forum are introverts. You won't have enough extroverts answering the question to get any significant information. To evaluate the information from the poll, you must weight the results accordingly.

Edited by regentrude

I was thinking about posting the same poll. I don't think it necessarily has to do with being an introvert, but I did wonder if introverted homeschoolers struggled more with it, maybe, as a result of the always-people-around, always-on, always-on-the-go aspects.

I wake up to my DH or my DC in my face (or me in their face, trying to get them going); spend all day with the DC; get them into bed just in time to hear DH pull into the driveway, wanting to talk about his day; and then spend the evening with DH, who wants quality time, who stays up until 1 a.m. with me, and then who wants me to go to bed with him. If I manage to outlast him on the couch, he leaves, and I fall asleep within minutes :glare: And because they're all extroverts, they wantwantwant my attention and don't feel satisfied without it, and they get very upset and pouty when I try to send them all away together *sigh* It's a problem.

I am an extrovert and have been dealing with depression. My extrovert nature was a main factor in this; a lack of people contact and outside appreciation contributed significantly to my depression - things an introvert would not miss to the same extent.

I can totally see this being the other side of the coin. DH is home after the hurricane, and he's going stir crazy in spite of talking to neighbors and running multiple errands per day.

my mom is an extrovert and is on depression meds. Depression and anxiety can run in families. Depression stems from a chemical imbalance. Many things can cause that.

I don't think it is personality related. I know many other extroverts on depression meds.

While the above is accurate..........

I believe that introverted, homeschooling, at home mothers who are prone towards depression add a layer of risk by 1) living in a culture that does not honor or "get" them and 2) live a lifestyle that is a constant challenge to what introverts need.

The thread about "How do you know when it's time to take something for mood" got me wondering.

Is there a connection between depression and your personality type? It seems from that thread that it's more an introvert issue. I know it's not exclusively an introvert thing because my MIL is a complete extrovert and has been on meds for years. But is the ratio slanted toward introverts?

I think the forum as a whole has a disproportionate number of introverts (compared to the general population), so the thread may give the impression that more introverts have experience with depression solely because we have more introverts posting.

I think the forum as a whole has a disproportionate number of introverts (compared to the general population), so the thread may give the impression that more introverts have experience with depression solely because we have more introverts posting.

We could at least see a comparison between introverts who've dealt with depression and those who haven't though, and the same comparison between the two sets of extroverts. No poll here is ever going to be scientific, of course!

I started the other thread so you all know what I'm dealing with. I don't think I'm an extreme introvert but I'm introverted enough that not getting my down time is wreaking havoc on my life. I really do enjoy being around other people and I need adult interaction. But this stage of my life where the kids are young and needy has been hard. I felt a little better when my third was 2 1/2 since everyone was kinda indpendent then we got pregnant again. It doesn't help that DH works long hours and we have a teeny tiny house.

We could at least see a comparison between introverts who've dealt with depression and those who haven't though, and the same comparison between the two sets of extroverts. No poll here is ever going to be scientific, of course!

Since there are only 39 self-identified extroverts on this forum, even THAT information will be close to useless.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=425855&highlight=personality+type

Edited by regentrude

I answered other because I am bi-polar. I usually run manic but I have dealt with (sometimes pretty serious) depression. I am on a good cocktail of meds right now and feeling pretty balanced. My family always notices a mood shift before I do and I know to make an adjustment when they start saying, "Take your meds. Take them now!"

Good question!

Maybe the depression can affect either type when one is operating outside their natural tendency. For example, if I as an introvert am spending a lot of time with people and have no quiet/alone time, I might be more sapped and prone to depression.

Or an extrovert who is closely confined and maybe doesn't have the energy they derive from being with others will wither.

Just a thought. I have no data :001_smile:

:iagree:

This is actually just what I was thinking!

Wanted to add: you will not get a good statistics from this poll, because, according to a poll we had here a few weeks ago, 78% of the users on this forum are introverts.

:lol::lol::lol: Well, I must have missed that thread. Guess that would weigh the poll significantly wouldn't it.:D

I don't know if I buy into that personality test's assertion of me, though. I remember taking it and then feeling as though it classified me as an introvert because of some things I like to do/don't like to do.

I love being around people. I consider myself an extrovert for that reason.

I'm not the 'life of the party'. So I think a lot of people would consider me an introvert. They're wrong, though.

Hmm... took the test again and it does score me as an extravert. I don't know why I thought it said differently last time... :tongue_smilie:

Edited by PeacefulChaos

I am not shy or quiet but I HAVE to have down time or I'm very antsy and overwhelmed. I really enjoy my friends and being around them but I do limit that time and the time I spend AT HOME is the time that relaxes me after being with other people. For those reasons I consider myself an introvert. But again, I'm not shy or quiet. I'm just picky in my friends and picky in the amount of time I spend with others.

I do have a friend who is an extrovert who is dealing with some depression issues. Her issues are more situational in nature though. She has had a very rough year.

I am not shy or quiet but I HAVE to have down time or I'm very antsy and overwhelmed. I really enjoy my friends and being around them but I do limit that time and the time I spend AT HOME is the time that relaxes me after being with other people. For those reasons I consider myself an introvert. But again, I'm not shy or quiet. I'm just picky in my friends and picky in the amount of time I spend with others.

I do have a friend who is an extrovert who is dealing with some depression issues. Her issues are more situational in nature though. She has had a very rough year.

The bold is the definition of introvert, not the shy or quiet.