Menu

High School Is Making Me Lose My Mind

I've spent two days looking for the next set of novels to hand out to my coop lit class. I searched through the basement, the closets, under beds. I even asked the class if maybe I'd already handed them out.

After 48 hours of snapping at my kids, I finally realized that they are still sitting in my Amazon cart, waiting for me to order them.

Doh.

:grouphug:

I know this feeling/situation exactly. I am a "newbie" co-op teacher of 2 high school classes this year with our homeschool group, and am simultaneously writing (completely different!) curriculum while testing it out on the co-op students. MUCH huger task than I dreamed, and it definitely ripples out onto my family! Hugs, Lori D.

So when do we start getting smarter again? Based on my own performance lately, I'm beginning to think maybe my teenage belief in adult idiocy was well-founded.

Oh say it isn't so.

I figure I'll become sharp witted again as soon as my own kids start to have kids. That's probably decades off (it better be).

I've spent two days looking for the next set of novels to hand out to my coop lit class. I searched through the basement, the closets, under beds. I even asked the class if maybe I'd already handed them out.

After 48 hours of snapping at my kids, I finally realized that they are still sitting in my Amazon cart, waiting for me to order them.

Doh.

*Big grin!* :001_smile: Oh, too true.... I have spent ages looking for a necessary book only to realize later than I'd sold it....

*Big grin!* :001_smile: Oh, too true.... I have spent ages looking for a necessary book only to realize later than I'd sold it....

Especially embarrassing when you have to explain this to someone *online* who answered your recent "for sale" ad -- that you suddenly realized you had already sold that book over a year previously. :blushing: (Ask me how I know...)

I bought all of my oldest's books in the spring and summer. I went to used book sales, bought online, and bought in person at a homeschool warehouse with a discount. I had them all lined up in order, ready to go in September. Checked over and over.

In the second week, we couldn't find a book. I know that I bought it because I checked on Amazon. I know that I had it in my hand at some point. But then...? So I had to order a little paperback novel with rush shipping. Sigh.

Then in late October, another book goes missing. I SWEAR that I had them all organized and that they were all there. Thankfully I called a local used book store, and they had it.

And today I went to teach locally, and I was missing a group of critical teaching aids. Ones that I've hauled around for some six years. I always pack these, how could I forget? I begin to wonder if I left them at the facility the week before because we were in a different location. I imagine having to reconstruct them and pay for them all over again (the laminating was a killer, but worth it). I honestly don't know. Maybe I should have a parent fill in while I go see if they are at the other facility.

I decide to improvise, and it goes fine. I get home and find them behind my recliner. How did they get there? I have some vague memory of being concerned about them at one point and telling one of the teens to put them in a safe place...

Yes, I'm losing my mind. This is it.

I bought all of my oldest's books in the spring and summer. I went to used book sales, bought online, and bought in person at a homeschool warehouse with a discount. I had them all lined up in order, ready to go in September. Checked over and over.

In the second week, we couldn't find a book. I know that I bought it because I checked on Amazon. I know that I had it in my hand at some point. But then...? So I had to order a little paperback novel with rush shipping. Sigh.

Then in late October, another book goes missing. I SWEAR that I had them all organized and that they were all there. Thankfully I called a local used book store, and they had it.

And today I went to teach locally, and I was missing a group of critical teaching aids. Ones that I've hauled around for some six years. I always pack these, how could I forget? I begin to wonder if I left them at the facility the week before because we were in a different location. I imagine having to reconstruct them and pay for them all over again (the laminating was a killer, but worth it). I honestly don't know. Maybe I should have a parent fill in while I go see if they are at the other facility.

I decide to improvise, and it goes fine. I get home and find them behind my recliner. How did they get there? I have some vague memory of being concerned about them at one point and telling one of the teens to put them in a safe place...

Yes, I'm losing my mind. This is it.

:001_smile: My sons know I will have totally lost it the day I come home from the salon with a short red perm and dye job and begin organizing my multi-thousand -book library by colour and size. My poor children. But hey, at least I'll be happy because I won't realize I've lost it ("Now let's see...all paperbacks with blue spines on *this* shelf.....")

Hey, Sebastian, you are sooooo lucky!!!! You made it until high school! I think I lost 1/2 my brains way back when my oldest was in elementary school and it has just gone down hill w/each subsequent pregnancy. :tongue_smilie:

I now know why Mrs. McCave named all her kids Dave. It was actually quite brilliant!!! :lol:

Doh.

:lol::lol: I don't know if you're ready to laugh at it, but that's so funny and so my life!!! I spent today looking frantically for something *I* had put in a drawer I don't normally go in! Oh well, lol.

I finally gave in to the chaos and got a 1 subject spiral notebook. I'm putting all these crazy thoughts for the next two months onto the paper in that notebook and hoping I don't LOSE my lists that way! :D

...just sharing in the "I totally understand" theme going ;) I'm teaching middle and high school American Literature and US History classes and it's all I can do to keep it straight ;)

As an aside, I created a table with a schedule of text chapters and corresponding literature for every week at the beginning and then created physical folders for each student group and have that stapled there and it has saved me so many times.

I also started using Haiku Learning Management Systems (they offer a free version for a single teacher working with up to 5 classes) but of course I bought the whole "pro" version for up to thousands of users and it has helped me so much to facilitate pre-planning, quizzes, rosters and so much more. If any of you teaching co-op or online classes and wants to consider using the "pro-version" just send me a PM and I will let you know how you can share in the version I bought -- it works out to $8 per student or teacher per year plus a little admin fee. I'm just so relieved to be able to keep track of it all. Though it still hasn't solved that "where did those books go" problem yet ;)

Much Aloha and happily surrounded by piles of books this very fine Sunday...

Kristin in Hawaii

All these anecdotes are making me laugh as so many of them happen to me too....My children know about 'book searches' where I reorganize the house to find a book I've lost....Lately though I completely forgot about a box of books that I'd put under one ds's bed a couple of years ago.

I thought I had a brilliant system of putting all the middle ages books away when we were finished with them. Except that the storage spots were too diverse:)

I used to write in my calendar where I had put holiday decorations so I wouldn't forget to pull them out.

This is the system I use right before leaving on vacation! I don't know how much stuff I lost that I couldn't remember where I'd put it before leaving for weeks...Dh should have used this for a set of car keys that we still can't find....

Joan