Menu

Easy classical

Momof2littles

We are using the science guide right now and while it's fine for my 1st and 3rd graders, I am finding it too easy for my older. It does stick well to TWTM model, but it is a bit choppy for my taste. Something about seeking out all those library books. History lends itself well for this way of doing things, but no so much for science, IMHO. We need more a concrete spine to "beef up". My boys loved science last year and aren't enjoying it quite so much this year. Thinking of going back to RS4K.:tongue_smilie: We've not tried the history guides, since biblioplan has been such great fit for us!

Edited by MyLittleBears

I have to say that we LOVE it!!! The history is very cohesive and easy to do. I'm using it with grades K, 1, 3, and 6. It has been easy to implement for such a wide range of ages and for the first time, I don't feel like we have to "do it all." There is plenty for everyone. BTW, we are using the Ancient History plan.

The Writing with History is excellent and laid out really well for ease of use and understanding. I'm using it with my 3rd, and 6th grader only.

I have to say that our favorite is the Geography with History book!! Oh we LOVE this geography!!! We've been homeschooling for 13+ years and this is hands down the most interesting geography course I've come across. It is well written and the activities aren't dull or pointless. My children are really loving it and I'm enjoying teaching it.

I don't mind answering any questions if someone wants to know any particulars.

:)

I have to say that we LOVE it!!! The history is very cohesive and easy to do. I'm using it with grades K, 1, 3, and 6. It has been easy to implement for such a wide range of ages and for the first time, I don't feel like we have to "do it all." There is plenty for everyone. BTW, we are using the Ancient History plan.

The Writing with History is excellent and laid out really well for ease of use and understanding. I'm using it with my 3rd, and 6th grader only.

I have to say that our favorite is the Geography with History book!! Oh we LOVE this geography!!! We've been homeschooling for 13+ years and this is hands down the most interesting geography course I've come across. It is well written and the activities aren't dull or pointless. My children are really loving it and I'm enjoying teaching it.

I don't mind answering any questions if someone wants to know any particulars.

:)

Me! Me! I have questions! :D

Next year I will have K, 1, and 2. I'm looking to do the ancients.

How many or which extra resource books did you purchase (beyond the SOTW, Story of the Ancient World, and the VP cards)? Were you happy with the books you purchased?

Is the geography appropriate for the early primary grades?

I think we will skip the writing, but I do like that they have a writing that ties in.

Thanks for your help.

I had a lot of the books on hand. So far we have used the History Pockets. I have the two Eyewitness books which are great! I bought The Great Wonder and like that. I switched out Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt for "Boy of the Pyramids" as I thought it would be better for the younger ones. I love the books that were chosen for this and will do very little switching. I don't have The Code of Hammurab, which would be boring for youngers, so I'll probably slip in "Secret of the Scribe" or some other interesting book from the time period. I may switchout "Shadow Hawk" as it will be boring for the littles, and use "God King" instead. It's requiring very little tweeking from me which I'm liking.

The Geography is VERY appropriate for early primary and other ages. Right now we are quite fascinated with learning about the Marsh people of Iraq. My kiddos have been clamoring to get near me for these readings and the pictures. It's been a lot of fun!

Yay, I would skip the writing for ones so young as well, and use it for the next rotation. :)

Let me know if you have anymore question. :)

I had a lot of the books on hand. So far we have used the History Pockets. I have the two Eyewitness books which are great! I bought The Great Wonder and like that. I switched out Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt for "Boy of the Pyramids" as I thought it would be better for the younger ones. I love the books that were chosen for this and will do very little switching. I don't have The Code of Hammurab, which would be boring for youngers, so I'll probably slip in "Secret of the Scribe" or some other interesting book from the time period. I may switchout "Shadow Hawk" as it will be boring for the littles, and use "God King" instead. It's requiring very little tweeking from me which I'm liking.

The Geography is VERY appropriate for early primary and other ages. Right now we are quite fascinated with learning about the Marsh people of Iraq. My kiddos have been clamoring to get near me for these readings and the pictures. It's been a lot of fun!

Yay, I would skip the writing for ones so young as well, and use it for the next rotation. :)

Let me know if you have anymore question. :)

Thank you. This is very helpful.

I'm also wondering

1. If the memorization of the VP history cards is built into the curriculum?

2. How much time/how many days a week are you doing the curriculum? I'm not a history-centered curriculum person, so I don't want something that is going to dominate. Or is it enough of a buffet-type curriculum that it is what I make it?

You are supposed to listen to/sing the VP History song once a week. I have just been going through the cards a couple times a week and so far that has been enough.

We only do the actual history portion three days per week and it doesn't take long at all....maybe 20 minutes three days per week. The writing is what takes the longest, so you won't have to worry about that. The geographt is done 2 days per week and doesn't take much time either. It really depends on how much you want to do. You could easily add or take away, so, YES, it really is what you make it.