Menu

Why are all our pencils breaking?

Frustrated!

I used to think we had cruddy pencils and that's why the lead kept "falling out." But now that it's happening with every single one, I am thinking it's the sharpener.

Help!!!! We need pencils that work. And mechanical pencils don't have enough eraser for my kids so we end up tossing those long before the lead is used up. And because they have those nubs that hold them inside pockets it's impossible to stick an eraser hat on them.

Groan.

I think they're just making everything crappy now. We have finally gone to mechanical pencils, because I cannot find a brand of pencil or a sharpener for any amount of money that works well and lasts longer than 6 months. I buy the disposable kind made of recycled plastic. We also have lots of extra gum erasers. Sigh.

I think they're just making everything crappy now. We have finally gone to mechanical pencils, because I cannot find a brand of pencil or a sharpener for any amount of money that works well and lasts longer than 6 months. I buy the disposable kind made of recycled plastic. We also have lots of extra gum erasers. Sigh.

I have a feeling this will be us, too. Grr.

The pencil sharpener SJ posted looks really cool, so that might be an option, but was hoping not to need to spend $25. LOL, I'm such a cheapskate!

And mechanical pencils don't have enough eraser for my kids so we end up tossing those long before the lead is used up.

This is why we have separate erasers. I like the plastic kind (white). For us, the advantages of mechanical pencils outweigh the minor nuisance of the small eraser.

My older throws/bangs his pencil when frustrated so most of the lead in the older pile are broken.

They use the pink erasers with their mechanical pencil. Older sometimes break the lead in the mechanical pencil by pressing too hard. Still easier than sharpening all the time with the increase in writing this year.

When I was in school, my classmate sharpened my pencils with her penknife/blade. Somehow that made the pencils last longer than using a pencil sharpener. :001_smile:

I have what SJ posted when I was a kid. My kids has the mini Daiso version of that. The Daiso one is not that great but it is fun for kids to learn about simple machine.

I switched to these and we love them.

http://www.officemax.com/brands/papermate/paper-mate-mechanical-pencils/product-prod3810480?R=22130052&ssp=true

One pencil lasts about a year and the lead is thick and doesn't break, the eraser is really big and lasts about 6 months--the package comes with more stuff.

I get them for about a dollar a piece at school supply times from Office Max.

Really great, cannot recommend them enough. Wish they made colored leads!!

If you have the same stupid sharpener I had then that is why. It is this battery powered Westcott. Oddly enough I bought the same brand that PLUGS IN at Costco and it is the best one I've had to date.

We have the iPoint Evolution battery powered one. Probably the same crappy design.

I think y'all talked me into mechanical for now!

We have this pencil sharpener. We've had it for about 3 years and it works awesome. I can find a pencil that works worth anything though. I got it when they had one of those "20% off anything you can put in this bag" sales.

Looks like the ones we had in grade school, and they always worked.

Love those 20% off bag sales.