Menu

Small Pet Suggestions

I am considering surprising ds with a small pet for Christmas. He is a total animal lover and has begged for his very own pet for ages. We currently have a black lab, and while ds loves him, he doesn't really feel like the dog is *his* pet because we had the dog before we had ds.

Here are some things to consider:

• We currently rent our home, so we can't have a destructive pet
  • Occassionally, we are out of the house about 12 hours in a row - would want a pet that could handle that amount of time being alone
  • While I don't mind something with some maintenance, would like something sort of lower maintenance (dh is gone a lot so helping ds with pet will fall on me)
  • Obviously, a pet that is good with kids

Can you please give me some pet suggestions? I know this would make ds's Christmas to find a just-for-him pet under the tree. :D

ETA: I know some of you may ask what kind of pet ds wants...seriously, he wants any pet! He has asked for a dog (not happening right now), a guinea pig, a hamster, a lizard, an iguana, a scorpion, a snake, a giant aquarium, a flying squirrel, and now a hedgehog (since I mentioned it to him after reading the hedgehog thread) - lol.

Edited by mandos mom

Hamsters are low key, but may not fulfill his needs for a pet. Hamsters pretty much stay in their cage, and are quite happy to ignore their owner.

Honestly? as you already have a dog, I'd go for another one. The dogs can keep each other company when you're gone for 12 hours. I'd go for a small breed. My personal choice is the Shih Tzu.

1. uses a litter box for peeing

2. no shedding

3. no barking (or very little, it's still a dog, not a statue!)

4. low energy

5. very cuddly!

Barring that, I'd go for a cat, but they shed, and potentially scratch furniture.

Hamsters are low key, but may not fulfill his needs for a pet. Hamsters pretty much stay in their cage, and are quite happy to ignore their owner.

Honestly? as you already have a dog, I'd go for another one. The dogs can keep each other company when you're gone for 12 hours. I'd go for a small breed. My personal choice is the Shih Tzu.

1. uses a litter box for peeing

2. no shedding

3. no barking (or very little, it's still a dog, not a statue!)

4. low energy

5. very cuddly!

Barring that, I'd go for a cat, but they shed, and potentially scratch furniture.

I would LOVE to get ds a dog. And someday I will! But as renters, it is very hard to also be dog-owners (cat-owners too!). When we got our dog, we owned our house, so we never even thought about it. But nobody wants to rent to a family with a dog (sadly), so there is no way that we can get another right now. :(

Rats!!! Super sweet, much more so than hamsters. Clean, can be trained to use a littler box. Smart, can learn tricks and to come when called. If they are held and played with a lot, they are incredibly like tiny dogs lol. It took me about ten minutes twice a week to completely empty the litter out of their cage and wipe it down. They eat a pellet type food, but love fresh fruit and veggies, nuts, seeds, and yogurt! Ours knew their names, would stay on our necks while we walked around, and were smart enough to figure out the obstacle courses we made up for them. :D

Not an iguana. I see that's on his list, but they are absolutely NOT good pets for children. In the lizard category, I would recommend a bearded dragon instead. They are low maintenance and very friendly. Check out http://www.beardeddragon.org for the absolute best possible care information.

If you're looking for small and furry, I would go with 2 female rats (litter mates or already bonded). They are incredibly lovable, very smart, and bond well to their humans.

I took in a guinea pig for awhile as a favor to a friend and will never do it again. They are SO messy and I found it impossible to keep the mess contained in his (very large) enclosure.

Leopard Geckos and Crested Geckos are both easy to care for but aren't really pets that are meant to be handled much.

We have had a leopard gecko for a year now, and everyone loves it. It is very low-maintenance. You only have to feed it once a week so it is easy to leave, even on vacations. You do need a heating lamp, but it can go on a timer for trips. Because it eats so infrequently, it also eliminates infrequently and is easy to clean up after. We clean the tank and replace the sand every other month or so. The lizard has been easy to handle and very enjoyable for the kids.

I found the lizard, tank, and light on craigslist for $40 so it wasn't that expensive either.

Eta: The kids only handle the lizard a couple times a week, but that hasn't dismissed their love for her. They also love watching her eat and shed.

Rats!!! Super sweet, much more so than hamsters. Clean, can be trained to use a littler box. Smart, can learn tricks and to come when called. If they are held and played with a lot, they are incredibly like tiny dogs lol. It took me about ten minutes twice a week to completely empty the litter out of their cage and wipe it down. They eat a pellet type food, but love fresh fruit and veggies, nuts, seeds, and yogurt! Ours knew their names, would stay on our necks while we walked around, and were smart enough to figure out the obstacle courses we made up for them. :D

I agree with this! Plus, Dumbo Rats are SOOOO cute! I want a couple of them SO bad, but DH is a big meany and won't let me get them. *pout* I had rats when I was a teenager, and I loved them. :)

A rat...very interesting idea. Hmmm...I will have to think on that. I will admit that I have always been the rats-are-creepy type of girl, but I know ds would love an animal that he could train to do tricks.

Thinking...thinking...

Any other ideas? (or anyone who can tell me more about rats?)

A corn snake. Seriously, she's the lowest maintenance pet we have ever had-she eats a (from the freezer section at petco) mouse once a week, poops about the same, and once her habitat was set up and the temperatures right, has been very low mainenance. She's pretty snuggly-DD will sit with her on the sofa and watch documentaries or listen to read-alouds, and has more personality than I would have ever expected a snake to have.

Corn snakes do get to about 3-4 feet long, so as adults, they need a 20+ gal terrarium (or good sized bin-a lot of snake keepers use sterlite bins with drilled holes for their snakes-the only downside is that it's harder to see the snake), but it takes several years to get to that size.

Small boas and pythons are another option, but can be harder to get the climate right on, and pythons, especially, are prone to go on feeding strikes. I do find Sand boas completely adorable, though-and males are often only about 18-24 inches as adults.

We have chameleons. We currently have a veiled cham and a Panther-morph cham. They are very cool as pets, but you really have to learn about their requirements before getting one. They are susceptible to respiratory infections and can die if their environment in not perfect (humidity and temperature).

That said, I am considering a bearded dragon for my DS8. He's a big reptile lover, and beardies just seem so sweet.

I had a ferret ages ago, and he was pretty awesome. The biggest drawbacks to them are the perceptions of how they smell and that they bite. Some people don't like their smell--even though they're sold "descented," it just means their scent glands have been removed. They still have a smell, like most animals. Young ferrets nip in play. I taught mine never to nip me, but he did sometimes get DH while they rough-housed (I guess I was "mommy" and DH was his "buddy.") Ferrets sleep a lot, use a litter box, don't chew and are very quiet. They will steal and hide "treasures," though.

Now I'm wondering why I don't have one. There's still a cage in the basement...

A rat...very interesting idea. Hmmm...I will have to think on that. I will admit that I have always been the rats-are-creepy type of girl, but I know ds would love an animal that he could train to do tricks.

Thinking...thinking...

Any other ideas? (or anyone who can tell me more about rats?)

What specifically do you want to know?

We have a pet rat - she is super friendly and cute. She's been handled a lot from the day we got her. She has a small travelling cage and comes with us if we are ever away overnight.

Contrary to the opinions of some people we've come across (!), rats don't smell (not so you'd really notice, IMO), they don't bite (unless you have food on your hands), and they are very intelligent. They are a great pet for a child. The only downside, for us, is that they rarely live more than 2yrs.

One thing that strikes me though - if you're going to be out for around 12hrs at times, I would get two so they have each other for company. Rats can get lonely. Also, make sure you avoid putting the cage in a draught - the most common cause of death in rats is pneumonia.

Edited by Hedgehog

We LOVE LOVE LOVE our gerbils. We have a sister pair, so if we are out for any length of time, they keep each other company. DD7 has them responding to the sound of her voice, she has handled them daily and they are quite tame for her as a result.

They are wonderful "classroom" pets! We do a weekly weigh-in and record that, set up play bins and observe their antics, put fluffs of different colors in the aquarium and watch how they mix it up over the course of the week - we really are enjoying them.

We LOVE LOVE LOVE our gerbils. We have a sister pair, so if we are out for any length of time, they keep each other company. DD7 has them responding to the sound of her voice, she has handled them daily and they are quite tame for her as a result.

They are wonderful "classroom" pets! We do a weekly weigh-in and record that, set up play bins and observe their antics, put fluffs of different colors in the aquarium and watch how they mix it up over the course of the week - we really are enjoying them.

:iagree:A sibling pair of gerbils have been the best small pets we've had. We've had both a male and female sibling pair and each have been wonderful.