Menu

BF Geo through Lit for 1st grader?

vwsmith

I am currently reading Paddle to the Sea w/my 1st grader and thought it would be nice to add in the Map work & study guide from Beautiful Feet. Next year (2nd grade) we plan on reading Tree in the Trail and Seabird so I thought we could save those maps and that portion of the study guide for when that time comes.

However, I noticed that they have it graded third through seventh grade. Do you think it's too much for a first grader to understand? Or even later on in second grade with Tree in the Trail and Seabird?

It totally depends upon your individual child. Looking over the samples and considering your own child's interests and abilities, what are your impressions? Keep in mind that you're talking about using only part of it this year and part next year which lowers the workload.

I agree; it completely depends on your child. I am using the BF Geo with my 4th and 6th graders. My 1st grader will often listen along, but I do not have him doing any of the activities/lessons. He's a beginning reader and writer and though would probably be fine with oral narration, he just isn't quite ready for the academic side of the units. I plan on taking him through it when he hits 3rd or 4th grade so we can really have fun with it. I love the program (just the Geography program from BF) and would not want to do it with a too young child, who though he may be "capable" of completing the work, may not be at an age to really enjoy it or get much out of it.